Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KauaiPhotos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
i have an older powermac g5 running OSX 10.5.8 with two volumes. volume 1 will not boot past blue screen. i can however boot up from second volume by making it my start-up disk, but am unable to access files (which i desperately need!) from volume 1. i "see" them there, but the applications will not open--some try, then crash.

i have run disk utilities, reset pram, and a ton of other things and all check out okay, yet still stuck at the blue screen when i try to boot as normal.

i do not have the install disks, and the optical dvd drive stopped reading disks a few months ago. (yay)

any help would be appreciated... PLEASE!!!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Could be either a dying hard drive or dodgy hard drive cables. One of the bays on my G5 is deemed useless at the moment as the hard drive cables are knackered.

KauaiPhotos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
thanks for the replies... wondering if using the second hhd is going to cause further "damage"...just having it running.

i can access the files i need (photos) but am unable to connect an external hard drive to back up. is there a way to get my needed programs from volume one?

curious why disk utility would say the volume i'm having trouble with is "okay" if it's dying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.