Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:58 PM   #1
ClemsonDV
macrumors member

AppleTV and Wireless Bridge

I have a situation where my AppleTV is upstairs on the opposite side of my house from my router (downstairs). Currently have an ASUS-NRT-12 router, but I am looking at upgrading to 2 Linksys WRT160N with DDWRT in order to provide my upstairs with stronger signals and my xbox an ethernet port. The upstairs will be set up as a repeater so i boost upstairs signal and provide ethernet ports.

My question is... will the repeater wirelessly help my AppleTV (it buffers on wireless a bit when downloading high volumes). Will plugging the AppleTV into the upstairs router improve buffers? Or should i just not bother?
ClemsonDV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:00 PM   #2
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonDV View Post
Will plugging the AppleTV into the upstairs router improve buffers?
This may help a bit. I had this going with my ATV1 for a while, but now my router is next to the ATV2 so it's just wired.

Any way you can just run a wire to the upstairs?

B
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

I have a Time Capsule hooked up to my modem and a Airport extreme to the Apple TV in another room. I extended my network to the AEBS from the Time Capsule. I do this because my pass code for my network is really long and I got sick of typing it in. I has the AEBS sitting in in a closet (Time Capsule replaced it) and it works great. I stream from the Mac Mini (looked up to the Time Capsule) and Netflix works great too.
You should be able to do the same thing.

Last edited by Primejimbo; Mar 31, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:18 PM   #4
ClemsonDV
macrumors member

I am just wondering whether wireless repeater will have a greater effect on the signal. Or will the wireless N from the AppleTV be getting the same strength as the repeater making it a moot point. I havent messed with wireless repeaters before so i was wondering.

Or since the 2nd router is right there, should i just plug it into the router.
ClemsonDV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:22 PM   #5
lastig21
macrumors newbie

Since all of your devices will be running 2.4Ghz N, I would run a wire from the Repeater Bridge upstairs to your Apple TV. No need to muddy up the 2.4Ghz signal any more than you have to. The Router AP to Repeater Bridge throughput will be the limiting factor, so it doesn't matter if you connect your ATV to the Repeater Bridge wired or wireless (and additional wireless connections might degrade signal quality).

Also, since you already have an N Router downstairs, you don't need 2 devices with DD-WRT for this to work. A DD-WRT bridge can connect just fine to a wireless AP with stock firmware.

BTW, the WRT160N's are great routers and perform well with DD-WRT. "Limited" features by today's standards, but still perform great in real world use. Used/Refurb'd units are cheap and easy to find.
lastig21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater