Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:56 PM   #1
WesCole
macrumors 6502a

Adaptive resolution from iPad to TV

Anyone else think Apple should implement a way to scale the resolution of the iPad (or iPhone for that matter) to a 16:9 resolution so it will look better on an Apple TV? I just don't like how it is still in 4:3 when I mirror my iPad to my TV.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:36 PM   #2
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesCole View Post
Anyone else think Apple should implement a way to scale the resolution of the iPad (or iPhone for that matter) to a 16:9 resolution so it will look better on an Apple TV? I just don't like how it is still in 4:3 when I mirror my iPad to my TV.
In order tO do that they would have to cut out part of the top and bottom or stretch the image. What is your preferred method? I prefer not to see a skewed image and not to lose part of my image. So I vote leave as is.
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:32 PM   #3
sphinx99
macrumors member

I would not mind some sort of 16:9 mode. I know it's a challenge (read: extra work for Apple) but it's also a reality that we are living in a 16:9 world now when it comes to virtually any display over 14". Every user interface for such displays has had to adapt. The iPad is somewhat unique: a "post-PC" device with a very PC 4:3 screen. I like this screen, very much so, but bottom line is that when you redirect your display to another, larger screen, that larger screen's aspect ratio is now what matters.

If I take my 16:9 or 16:10 laptop to any conference room at my business and connect it to the fairly typical 4:3 projectors that many conference rooms have, I expect a 16:9 display on the big screen and black bars on the side on my laptop screen. If my laptop had a full screen but everyone else in the room saw letterbars, it would look ridiculous. I'd like to see the same adjustable UI on the iPad.
sphinx99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater