Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
TUCSON, Arizona (CNN) http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/Southwest/10/28/university.shooting/index.html

-- Four people were shot to death Monday at the University of Arizona College of Nursing, a police spokesman said.

They included two female professors and the attacker, who may have shot himself, according to the university Web site. Police declined to provide details on the shootings, or to identify the fourth victim.

They occurred about 8:40 a.m. (10:40 EST), a university spokeswoman said.

The bodies were still in the building, which police were searching.

A witness said a student angry over being barred from midterm exams entered a classroom and began shooting with a handgun.

The witness said the gunman fired at one professor as a number of students ran out of the classroom where exams were being given. He said the gunman then fired at a second professor.

The gunman, he said, then allowed the rest of the students in the room to leave.

Another witness taking a test on the fourth floor of the Nursing College said she heard about 15 gunshots. It was "really scary," she said.

"It was silent while he was shooting our teachers," she said. "I was afraid that I was going to get shot."

After the shootings, the college and surrounding buildings were evacuated, university spokeswoman Lisa Wakefield. Other buildings closed besides the Nursing College were the College of Pharmacy, Life Sciences North and Basic Sciences, police said. The University Medical Center and other treatment facilities remained open.

Police said people who fled the college after the shootings were gathering at a nearby alumni center, where counseling was available.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
These things are getting out of hand...

Why don't they just point the gun at their head and pull the trigger instead?

Save they lawyers some time, the taxpayers some money, and won't destroy as many lives - but destroying the lives of others seems to be the point these days. :(

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
this same kind of thing happened last week in melbourne, aust: a guy, frustrated by not being able to communicate his ideas very well (his english was not great), took a bunch of handguns into class and killed two people, injured several others.

<opens can of worms> so in australia they're tightening gun laws even further, to say that handguns can only be owned by sporting shooters, and must be kept in the shooting club, rather than at home </opens can of worms>

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My prayers go out to the victims, families, & friends! We need to start enforcing the gun laws that we have on the books now. If the 2nd Amendment is stripped by the Democrat party, the criminals will still be able to get guns. It will be us law abiding citizens that will be hurt. I pray for our police officers, they are our only line of defense! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.