Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Prof.
macrumors 601

Using iMessage on iPhone to text people outside the country. Problems?

Has anyone on here used iMessage to text a friend in another country? I ask because sometimes iMessage doesn't send using data, and sends via text. This would be a problem when texting people outside the country. The person would have to pay $.25 for that text. Do you think it's a good idea to text a friend who lives in another country using iMessage? Both of us have an iPhone 4S.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:30 AM   #2
fullojellybeans
macrumors regular

Educated guess here: if you just put in their email and not the phone number you might be good to go with using iMessages internationally but I'm not 100% sure.
fullojellybeans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Prof.
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullojellybeans View Post
Educated guess here: if you just put in their email and not the phone number you might be good to go with using iMessages internationally but I'm not 100% sure.
That sounds logical. Can anyone confirm this???

EDIT: I bit the bullet and texted my friend via his email and it worked. We're using data/wi-fi and not SMS.

Last edited by Prof.; Apr 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Prof. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Jarre
macrumors newbie

I'm in florida at the minute and using imessage to talk to my girlfriend in the UK its free as i'm using wifi we have also used facetime and skype. I turned off the send imessage via text automatically as it is about 50cents a SMS if i do that!
Jarre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:43 AM   #5
lecturenotes
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarre View Post
I'm in florida at the minute and using imessage to talk to my girlfriend in the UK its free as i'm using wifi we have also used facetime and skype. I turned off the send imessage via text automatically as it is about 50cents a SMS if i do that!
I do exactly the same thing with my friends in other countries. I highly recommend pairing imessage with skype and facetime.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier