Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mxvilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Hey guys!

I wanted to share with you my first mod ever.

It's a Mac Plus with a Mac mini G4 inside!

I had a Mac Plus case lying around and a Mac mini, so I thought it would be only natural for them to become one :p

I've taken some photos of the process and shot a couple of videos afterwards (videos I need to reshoot because I shot them vertically...sorry for that, I was really tired and didn't think about it).

What I did is pretty simple: I took the guts of the Mac mini and stuffed them inside the Plus case, together with a new 9" display I bought.

I've left the entire I/O of the Mac mini intact, but had to take out the optical drive because of space issues and the fact that I need to put the drive on the front, for which I have to get some cables I don't currently have.

And I've taken the power button to the front! :D

It's running OS X Tiger 10.4.11 on a 1.25Ghz PowerPC G4.

There are some details I need to work on, and a few improvements I want to make (for example, adding original mouse & keyboard). But for now, it works great and looks even better!

Here are some pics (I won't post them all directly because they're quite large):

http://imgur.com/a/vBUWh#0

I have resized one picture so I can post it here, though :)

8E8Mh.jpg

And you can read a bit more about it on my website (which I have only used for this :p): http://www.vokuro.com.ar

The videos can be found at my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/mxvilla

All feedback and ideas are welcome!! I want to improve it as much as possible.

:D

mxvilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Definitely cool! The resolution would drive me nuts tho.

:p

Actually, you wouldn't believe how sharp it looks, although the image is obviously small!

I'm planning on using it as a local server once I get my hands on an Airport card (which, in my country [Argentina] is actually quite difficult to find).

Last edited:

mxvilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Here's a new pic! With its new wallpaper.

Coming later: a video of iTunes playing some music and a new booting video, now horizontal, and in plain daylight :)

PiVUn.jpg

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
That is amazing! Really cool! But I have to say, it makes me want to get the real deal as well... I remember when my friend had one of these and it was so exotic. I always wanted to try it out when I was at her house.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
One neat thing you could do is get MinivMac working on there in fullscreen mode. It'd make that look like a real Mac Plus again.

mxvilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
One neat thing you could do is get MinivMac working on there in fullscreen mode. It'd make that look like a real Mac Plus again.

Good idea, for some reason I thought MinivMac didn't work on Tiger.

I'll get into it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.