Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Variety reports that actor Ashton Kutcher will be playing Steve Jobs in an upcoming independent movie called Jobs.
The film will chronicle Steve Jobs from wayward hippie to co-founder of Apple, where he became one of the most revered creative entrepreneurs of our time.
The movie is set to start production in May while Kutcher's CBS sitcom Two and Half Men is in between seasons.

Ashton Kutcher was first known for his role as Michael Kelso in the sitcom That '70s Show but has since seen success in movies and other TV series. Kutcher has also been recently involved in Silicon Valley startups and technology investing.

Despite the timing of the news on April Fools, the author notes that they discussed holding the story until Monday, but were worried about losing the scoop. The story is presently on the front page of Variety's website.

ashton-kutcher-steve-jobs-500x281.jpg

The Hollywood Reporter also reports on the news and provides the comparison shot above between Kutcher and Steve Jobs from 1977. It should be noted that this is a separate project from the Sony project that had acquired the rights to the Walter Isaacson authorized biography.

Article Link: Ashton Kutcher to Play Steve Jobs in Upcoming Indie Film "Jobs"

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Pretty cool I think.

Ashton Kutcher also dabbles w/ startups so it would be nice to have a guy like him playing someone like Steve Jobs.

Of course everyone has their own opinion of Ashton Kutcher.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Uncanny.

To Ashton: if you wanna know what you'll look like in 20 years look at Steve Jobs' most recent pics

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I really like his personality and like him as an actor. He is pleasant, calm, understanding, generous and polite.

Totally unlike Steve Jobs in 99% of the movies he has acted in. Appearance wise, he is a good fit. But personality wise, he is almost the opposite.

I'm unsure how appropriate its going to be.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Bad choice. Kutcher may look like Jobs from a certain perspective, but his acting absolutely tanked a top rated '2 and a Half Men' show. He's also typically type casted as a goofy, comedic type in just about everything he has done. They should have gone after Noah Wyle again, who played Jobs in the Pirates of Silicone Valley in 1999. He looks like Jobs to an extent, and did a great job with Steve's mannerisms in that particular movie.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Isn't it just appropriate to be released on April 1st? Kutcher was desperate to replace Sheen after his public breakup with his wife and is desperate to play the iconic role of a lifetime.

I just hope he utilizes his considerable skills in this role.

If he wants some free advise he can EM me.

Rocketman

Last edited:

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Bad choice. Kutcher may look like Jobs from a certain perspective, but his acting absolutely tanked a top rated '2 and a Half Men' show. He's also typically type casted as a goofy, comedic type in just about everything he has done. They should have gone after Noah Wyle again, who played Jobs in the Pirates of Silicone Valley in 1999. He looks like Jobs to an extent, and did a great job with Steve's mannerisms in that particular movie.

Noah Wyle may be in the Sony version of "Jobs", at least I hope.
But this is an Indie version of Jobs.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK

I thought he was good in the Butterfly Effect and Valentine's Day. It's a little unfair to say that 2.5 men tanked because of his acting - it tanked because the lead character and sole purpose of the show was 'let go'. That's like firing Hugh Laurie from House, Michael Hall from Dexter or Emily Deschanel from Bones and replacing them with a random actor!

I agree though that Kutcher's mannerisms are completely off although I've seen him have the same intensity in his eyes as Jobs had a lot of the time and I'd at least be interested to see him rise to the challenge. Sure a lot of us would love Noah Wyle to do it but most outfits producing a Steve Jobs film would likely want to distance themselves from Pirates of Silicone Valley so that they look like they're doing something 'new'.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
they really don't look a like, Jobs has a round face, and kutcher more rigid jaw line.

Noah Wylde, way better, or how about someone different? why does it have to be a known actor?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This is the sort of project where I care more about the director than the lead actor.

I fully believe Ashton can do this, but he needs someone with a strong vision to guide him through it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.