Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
just puchased new apple tv over the weekend

can you put apple tv to sleep from remote???
if not i cant beleive this wasnt put in
i thought you would hold down the play pause button for a couple seconds but apprantly not

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
just puchased new apple tv over the weekend

can you put apple tv to sleep from remote???
if not i cant beleive this wasnt put in
i thought you would hold down the play pause button for a couple seconds but apprantly not

Forgive me for moaning, but this is what I dislike about Apple's 'beautifully simple' remote control. A task like putting the device to sleep isn't intuitive, you either end up searching for the user-guide (if you still have it) or asking online, instead of just tapping a Power/Standby button as on any other remote.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Forgive me for moaning, but this is what I dislike about Apple's 'beautifully simple' remote control. A task like putting the device to sleep isn't intuitive, you either end up searching for the user-guide (if you still have it) or asking online, instead of just tapping a Power/Standby button as on any other remote.

or here's a crazy idea... leaving it alone and letting it go to sleep automatically!
that's more intuitive than almost every other device I have that stays awake unless otherwise told to.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
or here's a crazy idea... leaving it alone and letting it go to sleep automatically!
that's more intuitive than almost every other device I have that stays awake unless otherwise told to.

Except that XBMC turns off auto sleep...

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
That's what I do. I used to turn it off with ATV1 because of the ridiculous heat, not that it made much difference, but I just don't bother with ATV2 and ATV3 since it draws so little power and goes to sleep of its own accord anyway.

----------

Except that XBMC turns off auto sleep...
The OP mentioned "new Apple TV" which I assume means ATV3, not jailbreakable, and therefore no XBMC.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

Well, most devices these days have an auto-standby option. That is what I use with the ATV, (mostly because I just learned of the "hold Select for 5 seconds to sleep" option and keep forgetting it's there ;) ). It's not just the sleep 'keystroke', it's the reset keystroke too. Over-simplification and style-over-function, IMO.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
In settings you can determine an amount of time before it goes to sleep. It draws nearly no power. I just let it go to sleep after an hour of inactivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.