Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:09 AM   #1
DaGrandMastah
macrumors 6502a

Best Ripper for DVD's and will it play on iPad?

So I'm trying to consolidate and digitize a lot of my older DVD collection....particularly barebones standard def DVD's in an effort to clear space.

What's the best program for that on the Mac (i'm using Lion)? I'm assuming most people will say Handbrake. If so, is there a way to rip the DVD's so that I can load them into my ipad or does that require a 2nd conversion?

Guess I'm just trying tof igure out the easitest and most painless way to get these DVD's digitized on my computer.
DaGrandMastah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Handbrake.

There are a ton of Apple Presets built in for many devices you chose to rip for. That would be the only application you would need to rip your DVDs
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:52 AM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603

Handbrake on the AppleTV 2 setting will work across all current iOS devices.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:26 PM   #5
DaGrandMastah
macrumors 6502a

Awesome...thanks guys.

What kind of file size would I be looking at for a DVD Rip on the Apple TV for a 1.5 hour movie? Just curious.

This sounds perfect though.
DaGrandMastah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 02:15 AM   #6
xxbrankxx
macrumors member

I use RipIt.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
Awesome...thanks guys.

What kind of file size would I be looking at for a DVD Rip on the Apple TV for a 1.5 hour movie? Just curious.

This sounds perfect though.

Depends on what tradeoffs you're making in video quality on the transcode. I rip with RipIt and transcode with Handbrake. I can get a full length DVD down to 700mb if I try, but for the most part a full length feature ripped at Handbrakes default ATV2 settings will go about 1.5gb
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 05:08 PM   #8
macrazee
macrumors regular

Best Mac ripper? DVDFab for Mac. But it isn't cheap...

Second place goes to Mac DVDRipper Pro which costs less than half but does a very good job.

My experience is the rest (including RipIt) pretty much suck. They often do not rip the disc accurately and when trying to remaster the disc (with tools like DVDRemaster) there are many problems due to a bad rip which do not appear when you just play the DVD etc.

There's MakeMKV as well, which remains free during beta but will eventually cost. Not enough experience with it on the Mac to rate it.
macrazee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 05:21 PM   #9
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrazee View Post
Best Mac ripper? DVDFab for Mac. But it isn't cheap...

Second place goes to Mac DVDRipper Pro which costs less than half but does a very good job.

My experience is the rest (including RipIt) pretty much suck. They often do not rip the disc accurately and when trying to remaster the disc (with tools like DVDRemaster) there are many problems due to a bad rip which do not appear when you just play the DVD etc.

There's MakeMKV as well, which remains free during beta but will eventually cost. Not enough experience with it on the Mac to rate it.
I have been using MakeMKV. It is easy and has been working flawlessly for me.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:10 PM   #10
KevinC867
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
I have been using MakeMKV. It is easy and has been working flawlessly for me.
I'm a big fan of MakeMKV as well.

The OP should be aware that ripping and transcoding are two different things. The Mac version of Handbrake can do both but, if there are lots of DVD's to be converted, a lot of folks prefer to first rip the the DVD in its original (large!) format to the hard drive, then queue up the transcode jobs in HandBrake. That allows the more time consuming transcodes to run unattended.

It's also worth considering buying an external DVD reader for this process. A lot of Mac drives have a rip-lock "feature" which makes the transfer much slower. I decided that, rather than tying up my MacBook Pro with this stuff, I would build a quad-core PC for about $300 which can do the job a lot faster.
KevinC867 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater