Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

MBA Flash Storage Full with Movies!

've been using my MBA to download movies via the iTunes Store. I just got a message saying that the Macintosh HD flash storage is very close to getting full and that I should delete some stuff, which I did. In the end, I have only 11 GB of free space left. Movies are taking 58 GB and 46 GB labelled as Other.

The movies I download from iTunes are in the folders iTunes-> iTunes Media-> Movies. Can I move these movies to a hard drive and delete them from my laptop?

* These movies are to be synced to an iPad, I won't be watching them on my MBA.
* I can't purchase movies directly from my iPad as they don't download for some reason.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
LadyX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can store them in an external hard drive. But you should also be able o download most of them (Universal and Fox being exceptions) on your iPad after purchasing on the MacBook.
Buckeyestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:25 PM   #3
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post
Yes, you can store them in an external hard drive. But you should also be able o download most of them (Universal and Fox being exceptions) on your iPad after purchasing on the MacBook.
How do I download them on my iPad after making the purchase on my MBA?

EDIT: and before deleting the movies, I have to first sync them to my iPad and then cut and paste the Movies folder to an external hard drive, is that correct?

Can I delete the Downloads folder that's located in iTunes Media? It consists of the movies in .tmp folders.

Last edited by LadyX; Apr 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyX View Post
How do I download them on my iPad after making the purchase using on my MBA?

EDIT: and before deleting the movies, I have to first sync them to my iPad and then cut and paste the Movies folder to an external hard drive, is that correct?

Can I delete the Downloads folder that's located in iTunes Media? It consists of the movies in .tmp folders.
I think you can just copy the movie folder over, but you might have to tell iTunes where to look for them for whenever you hook up that external drive.

To download previous purchases on your iPad, got to the purchased tab in your iTunes app. Then switch from music (default) to movies. Should be little iCloud symbols next to them indicating that you can redownload them for free.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:54 PM   #5
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post
I think you can just copy the movie folder over, but you might have to tell iTunes where to look for them for whenever you hook up that external drive.

To download previous purchases on your iPad, got to the purchased tab in your iTunes app. Then switch from music (default) to movies. Should be little iCloud symbols next to them indicating that you can redownload them for free.
I'm deleting and moving the folders to an external hard drive and I'm slowly gaining free space as I'm doing it. You've been a great help. Much appreciated.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyX View Post
I'm deleting and moving the folders to an external hard drive and I'm slowly gaining free space as I'm doing it. You've been a great help. Much appreciated.
My pleasure. I was in the same boat with my MBA.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air