Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Marketplace Archive 1 (Posts count)

Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:59 PM   #1
MacTruck
Banned

Send a message via AIM to MacTruck
FRAUD ALERT... BUYERS BEWARE!

I listed my powerbook on ebay this week and all the while it was up there people that bid on my auction were getting offers on the side for the same unit but alot cheaper. This escalated when the item sold and the auction was over, people that bid on my item all got second chance offers (not from me) to purchase the item. Its the next new scam on ebay.

Last month the scam was on the sellers. These people would buy your item with buy it now then offer to pay with Western Union payment AFTER you ship the item using THEIR fedex number.

You see if you ship an item under someone elses fedex number it becomes their shipment not yours. You have no way of getting information about the item or insurance if it is not received, and that is how they make the money. Now ebay gets a big comission every time you sell something so they are very very very slow to help. I reported a guy that did me twice on 2 laptops I had up. After I reported him he did it 27 more times before he was shut down and he only got shut down becuase he had gotten like 15 neg feedback. Now it took me 5 weeks to get my fees back. Its the scams that ebay loves, they make millions.

So just beware of second chance offers, offers for same unit but way cheaper, and sellers do ship the item in your name and make sure you have payment in hand $$$ before you ship.
MacTruck is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:12 AM   #2
Winstonp
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Winstonp
I bet it's the ebay CEO's doing it so they make more money. I hate ebay.
Winstonp is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:13 AM   #3
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

I love eBay, and hate it at the same time.

I love it for I have been lucky in being watchful on the bids I made. I hate it because eBay seems to take the attitude that they have have no responsibility to the buyers or purchasers. It is all about their "profits".
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:26 AM   #4
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
I don't think they encourage fraud, or desire to profit from it. I read that about 2000 items are listed every second, it's impossible for them to police everything.

OTOH, they need to be smarter about these little loopholes or opportunities that scammers use. Also, I hate that it takes so long for a seller to get listing credit from a uncompleted transaction. It's happened to me a small number of times (maybe 3 or 4), at least I've always been able to get my listing fee back.

I've also been pretty fortunate as a buyer and seller. Over 200 transactions with no ripoffs! (knocks on wood...)
madmaxmedia is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:53 AM   #5
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia
I don't think they encourage fraud, or desire to profit from it. I read that about 2000 items are listed every second, it's impossible for them to police everything.

OTOH, they need to be smarter about these little loopholes or opportunities that scammers use. Also, I hate that it takes so long for a seller to get listing credit from a uncompleted transaction. It's happened to me a small number of times (maybe 3 or 4), at least I've always been able to get my listing fee back.

I've also been pretty fortunate as a buyer and seller. Over 200 transactions with no ripoffs! (knocks on wood...)

Given eBay's profits, they could do better IMO. In the end IMO they get more profit by ignoring the "bad apples"; than eliminating them. Don't get me started on PayPal, a "bank" that does not have to follow banking laws.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:07 AM   #6
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

Hi, I've sold some things on ebay and have had nothing but trouble. I sold my first iMac, some software and a few other things all by way of "buy it now" only to get two people writing e-mails to ebay that they wanted to cancel the order but I wouldn't allow it
So I sent ebay all the e-mails from the few people and in the end they had to pay (well so ebay thought, I just wanted to sell it to the next person on the bidding since the bid was no longer bound by ebays rules). Well in the end it had taken 8 weeks for the sale of the iMac to finally go through and after all that I got a bad feed back
The last person (who bought software)used buy it now then tried to put a hold on the funds for reasons unknown.
So my Biggest complaint is no Phone ######'s how it could be done is well... legal but everything done over the net when one has problems really sucks
Now I will post things up at the local collage or Uni. and haven't used ebay in about 2 years.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:45 AM   #7
keysersoze
macrumors 68000

eBay is a scary place. I've sold a lot there... My disclaimer is pretty lengthy about what I will and will not do, how shipping is made, payments accepted etc. I had a stipulation that buyers must have 5 feedback and no negative feedback within the last 6 months, and I reserved the right to cancel any auction from people with spotty feedback.

So you know what happened? Some Mofo emailed me a really pissed-off email about how I was a ********* for not letting him bid on my item! How his bad feedback was all someone else's fault and I was an ******* of a seller for not being nicer and that he wanted to kick my a**.

Sometimes it's just not worth the time or aggravation of dealing with people like that and I'll just not sell there.

keysersoze is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:17 AM   #8
eva01
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
this is why i don't use ebay
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:32 AM   #9
berkleeboy210
macrumors 68000

I almost got scammed twice this week, via e-mail. Looks like a legit e-mail from eBay from there usual address (awconfirm@ebay.com) - Telling me that 3rd party ppl have gained access to my account and listed unauthorized bids and listings. And wanted me to email back with my username and password.

I ALMOST fell for it, but I was smart and decided to look at the reply address, which was some yahoo account. then i knew it was a scam. Got another e-mail this morning from the same dude, with the subject line 'ebay verification'. just be careful with e-mails! and always check the reply-to address!

There was a big report on paypal scams last night on Nbc Nightly news, that dealt with the same thing but with people falling for it. and there bank accounts, routing numbers being visible.

Be careful!
berkleeboy210 is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 09:28 AM   #10
wnameth
Banned

I stopped using ebay when i asked someone to check off gift and put the value at 100 (i said if anything was to happen i would be willing to take the fall) but no, they marked it as a 500$ US computer, and i got dinged with over 200US in customs, this computer was for my dad, not me!!!!!!
wnameth is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 09:29 AM   #11
jaseone
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to jaseone
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkleeboy210
I almost got scammed twice this week, via e-mail. Looks like a legit e-mail from eBay from there usual address (awconfirm@ebay.com) - Telling me that 3rd party ppl have gained access to my account and listed unauthorized bids and listings. And wanted me to email back with my username and password.
You should NEVER reveal your username and password to anyone, eBay has other ways to identify you if they need to and if anyone ever asks for your username you can almost guarantee it is a scam.

Also be very careful clicking the links they send you as they are getting very clever at disguising fraudulent websites as the real thing so I would just open your browser and type in ebay.com to make sure yoiu are going to the right place.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 09:57 AM   #12
aquajet
macrumors 68020

I think anybody that buys a new computer off of ebay, esp. a high-end Mac, is walking on thin ice. Or even one just a few years old. If you're looking for a good deal, go to the Apple refurb page or to Smalldog.com. There's always at least one fraudulent Mac auction at any one time. And they're pretty easy to spot; sometimes I like to bid on them just for fun. Some jerkoff listed 17" PowerBooks, something like a dozen available, at a ridiculous BIN price. I bought them all at once, and within a day got an email from ebay telling me not to send any money. I sent an email to the "seller" and told him he was scum, and came back with some lame response like "well my other customers don't think so..." yeah right...
aquajet is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 09:58 AM   #13
roadapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnameth
I stopped using ebay when i asked someone to check off gift and put the value at 100 (i said if anything was to happen i would be willing to take the fall) but no, they marked it as a 500$ US computer, and i got dinged with over 200US in customs, this computer was for my dad, not me!!!!!!
darn law abider

I love eBay, mostly sell small stuff under $100 and had no issues yet.
When I do buy a large item, like a camera lens, I always review feedback and what type of items the person has bought and sold in the past. If in doubt, send them an email, you can get a good idea about a seller by the style of the reply.
roadapple is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:07 AM   #14
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to michaelrjohnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseone
You should NEVER reveal your username and password to anyone, eBay has other ways to identify you if they need to and if anyone ever asks for your username you can almost guarantee it is a scam.
Blanket Rule:
NO legitimate buisness/retailer will EVER, EVER ask *you* for your username and password. EVER.

The people that fall for these (no offense meant if this describes you) just goes to highlight the difference between people who are truly knowledgeable about the internet/e-business and those that are just clicking around.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:13 AM   #15
dsharits
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to dsharits Send a message via MSN to dsharits Send a message via Yahoo to dsharits Send a message via Skype™ to dsharits
I've gotten a few of these back door offers after bidding on a couple of PowerBooks. After the auctions were over, I got e-mails from sellers who claimed to have that same item for cheaper than the final price, and if I was interested, I was to e-mail them back. The catch was that I would have to pay by money order before it was shipped out, and I was to allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.
It's amazing how anybody could fall for a scam like that.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:16 AM   #16
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Sorry, that one is on your head. It was not a gift from the seller to you. You were importing the computer commercially. Whether or not you intended it as a gift is immaterial.

You were asking the seller to falsify customs documents. I would have done the same and refused your request. The unit could have been impounded by customs or assessed a higher fee by Canada Customs if they suspected a fraud.

Second thing is, you never paid $200 customs on a $500 item.

There is no duty on computers under the NAFTA. Assuming your unit came from the USA, you would have paid:

US$500 item
7% GST - US$35.00
Provincial tax depending on your province $0 to $40
Customs brokerage fee $8 to $30 depending on the courier and broker.

Your worst case scenario is US$105 for tax and brokerage if you are in ON, NS, NB or NF and sent it by UPS (who overcharge on brokerage)
And it's worth noting that the tax would have been payable if you bought it from a local store.

Now the thing that burns me is sellers that OVERSTATE the value under the impression that if it is lost in transit, they'll get a windfall profit from the insurance (which isn't true anyway, because the insurer will only pay out the wholesale replacement cost). I bought some software for $100 that the seller "insured" for $300, so I paid triple the taxes and brokerage on import. #$(**(&$. If the seller does not claim a value, then Customs will assign a value of their own, which they tend to estimate high on.
CanadaRAM is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:31 AM   #17
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
If the seller does not claim a value, then Customs will assign a value of their own, which they tend to estimate high on.
Yeah, I got burned that way once.

I scored a really, really sweet deal on a plexiglass sign with a fluorescent tube "sidelight" -- got it for something like $10. That's what the guy wrote on the customs value form - $10. My invoice inside said that and everything.

When it arrived, it had the bright yellow customs-opened-this tape all over it, and they assessed me taxes on an estimated value of $45.

ARGH. They don't go by how much you paid, even, but by how much (they think) it's worth. Now how is THAT fair? When you go to a liquidation sale at a retail store they don't sell you the item at 75% off and then charge you the PST/GST on the full retail value...
notjustjay is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:37 AM   #18
devastator777
macrumors newbie

Talking I hate ebay also...

I used to be a Ebay feign and it was nice for a while until I received a unfair negative feedback and when I tried to retify the situation with the seller and Ebay, Ebay would not let me sign on to my account. How am I supposed to remember all the information of the seller when EBAY doesn't let you into your own account? Ebay also lets seller with like a quintillion negative feedback do business while the buyer has three chances....WTF? Suffice to say, I am a Craiglist guy now, it is free and most of the time local.

Apple Dual 867 PM, Apple 17" 1.5 PB, 22" Cinema Display, 17" Cinema Display, 2 IPods.

Love my 17" 1.5 PB looking for intel/mac PM in 2 years.
devastator777 is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:45 AM   #19
dsharits
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to dsharits Send a message via MSN to dsharits Send a message via Yahoo to dsharits Send a message via Skype™ to dsharits
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay
Yeah, I got burned that way once.

I scored a really, really sweet deal on a plexiglass sign with a fluorescent tube "sidelight" -- got it for something like $10. That's what the guy wrote on the customs value form - $10. My invoice inside said that and everything.

When it arrived, it had the bright yellow customs-opened-this tape all over it, and they assessed me taxes on an estimated value of $45.

ARGH. They don't go by how much you paid, even, but by how much (they think) it's worth. Now how is THAT fair? When you go to a liquidation sale at a retail store they don't sell you the item at 75% off and then charge you the PST/GST on the full retail value...
That's just wrong. Value is the amount that the consumer is willing to pay for it. If I'm trying to sell an iPod, and I think it's valued at $300, but nobody offers me more that $150, that is the value. It has nothing to do with what the current selling prices are, or how much you could get for it in parts, yatta yatta yatta.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:18 PM   #20
jared_kipe
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to jared_kipe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac
I love eBay, and hate it at the same time.

I love it for I have been lucky in being watchful on the bids I made. I hate it because eBay seems to take the attitude that they have have no responsibility to the buyers or purchasers. It is all about their "profits".
Ebay used to be a good place to get cheap things, but its so common nowadays that you can get better deals from online merchants most of the time.
jared_kipe is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:30 PM   #21
MacTruck
Banned

Send a message via AIM to MacTruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_kipe
Ebay used to be a good place to get cheap things, but its so common nowadays that you can get better deals from online merchants most of the time.

Aint this the truth.
MacTruck is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 01:21 PM   #22
mxpiazza
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_kipe
ehh... kind of, but not really. i think its just that *anyone* used to be able to wander on eBay and find a great deal, but now due to its increased popularity, you really have to work to try and find a good deal, instead of just having one fall into your lap. and if someone cant afford to wait for a good deal, they think, why not just spend an extra $50 and buy from an online merchant?

my biggest gripe with eBay is people not leaving you feedback... i have 99, all positive, but i should easily have 130. i haven't fallen for any scams or anything... i almost think eBay should make new accounts go through some sort of 20 minute "scam school" to make sure they dont get screwed or something, because the fraud is just getting out of hand.

but imo, the feedback system works wonders.... sell to people with good feedback, have good feedback yourself, and the problems usually keep away.

now they just need to stop raising the auction fees, then double-dipping when their daughter company PayPal also takes fees from you when the buyer pays you...
mxpiazza is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2005, 04:35 PM   #23
adamjay
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
karma is a bi+ch when you attempt customs fraud.
adamjay is offline   0
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:23 PM   #24
tsk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpiazza
but imo, the feedback system works wonders.... sell to people with good feedback, have good feedback yourself, and the problems usually keep away.

now they just need to stop raising the auction fees, then double-dipping when their daughter company PayPal also takes fees from you when the buyer pays you...
I have issues with the feedback system. I have had several transactions where I should have left a negative feedback for a bad seller. Why didn't I? Fear of getting a negative back myself. It's quite often that people are just resigned to not leave any feedback so they don't have to worry about something bad from the other person.
tsk is offline   0
Old Jul 2, 2005, 01:06 AM   #25
mxpiazza
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk
I have issues with the feedback system. I have had several transactions where I should have left a negative feedback for a bad seller. Why didn't I? Fear of getting a negative back myself. It's quite often that people are just resigned to not leave any feedback so they don't have to worry about something bad from the other person.
that is true, a lot of people now wont leave feedback until the other person does just to make sure they dont get a negative, then no one ends up leaving one... i just think its weird that eBay themselves refuses to remove or edit negative feedbacks unless both buyer and seller agree, no matter what evidence or bad track record the person who left you a neg has... i guess it cant be perfect.
mxpiazza is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Marketplace Archive 1 (Posts count)