Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

View Poll Results: "Dumb" or "smart" devices? Which do you prefer?
I prefer simplicity in my products 8 72.73%
I prefer a plethora of features in my products 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:11 PM   #1
applefan289
macrumors 68000

Do you believe more in these "smart" devices, or in simplicity of use?

Many things are becoming "smart" these days. Even traditional products like refrigerators and televisions have recently been upgraded to "smart" status.

If you could choose between a modern, but simple design with easy usability, or a "smart" design with more features (but in the end more tedious and less simple), which would you choose?

I prefer simplicity. I think it's great that products are constantly being improved upon, but don't like these "smart" devices. Devices, like phones, tablets, computers, etc. are actually made to have many features. But when it comes to items like TVs and refrigerators, I don't like the idea of "smart".

The reason I created this thread right now is because I was surfing Samsung's website, and noticed that 90% of their LED TVs are now "smart". Just a year or two ago, I was able to choose from "dumb" TVs, which I prefer so I don't have to interact with Samsung's "apps", and other features I don't need that only make usability more difficult. Since I'm used to Apple's world, I don't want to start being forced to buy products with Samsung's "smart" software.

I think it would be great if they could continue to innovate, but also keep things simple.

Call me strange, but I would pay more for a new "dumb" TV just so I don't have to deal with all the "fluff" and tedious features of using a smart TV.

When I say "dumb", I don't mean old or less innovative. I simply mean the simplicity of not having to deal with an overwhelming amount of features.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:14 PM   #2
wordoflife
macrumors 604

I'd like to add that I just bought a new microwave the abundant amount of buttons, menus, and settings is annoying. I prefer my old microwave much more.

Now I gotta read the manual... which is something I never have to do.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:14 PM   #3
boss.king
macrumors 68040

I'm with you on that. I like my smartphones and tech, but I have no need for my fridge to connect to WiFi.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Firestar
macrumors 68020

I don't mind smart devices, as long as I can still get a non-smart device, if I feel like the smartness isn't needed. I think making smart TVs is fine, but not appliances.

Firestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:31 PM   #5
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.king View Post
I'm with you on that. I like my smartphones and tech, but I have no need for my fridge to connect to WiFi.
Just consider this for a minute, and the possibilities are endless.

It tracks bar-codes and weight, as you use and replace.

It knows what you like, where you shop, and will produce a shopping list when you run short.

Or, it will sent the order to your favourite store, then they will E-mail you when your order is ready for pick-up.

Pass.
iJohnHenry is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:53 PM   #6
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
Just consider this for a minute, and the possibilities are endless.

It tracks bar-codes and weight, as you use and replace.

It knows what you like, where you shop, and will produce a shopping list when you run short.

Or, it will sent the order to your favourite store, then they will E-mail you when your order is ready for pick-up.

Pass.
And all this will be available if you live in a select few countries around the world and shop only at massive supermarket chains. So yeah, I'll pass.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 05:09 PM   #7
applefan289
macrumors 68000

If Apple comes out with a TV, it will most likely also have "smart" features. But if it's between another company's smart TV and an Apple smart TV, I'd most likely go with Apple.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 05:28 PM   #8
eric/

A mix. That's why I like apple products.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 06:05 PM   #9
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

I got a dumb TV, but plan on buying a smart DVD player, which gives me a smart TV w/o the extra price. Might be nice to surf via the TV.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 06:06 PM   #10
SkyBell
macrumors 603

It's nice to have one device which can do a good amount of things, but honestly there's a fine line between usefulness and stuffed with useless crap.
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 06:20 PM   #11
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
It's nice to have one device which can do a good amount of things, but honestly there's a fine line between usefulness and stuffed with useless crap.
The useless crap has to be looked at, very closely.

Intrusion into everyone's life is on-going, and relentless.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 06:39 PM   #12
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by applefan289 View Post
The reason I created this thread right now is because I was surfing Samsung's website, and noticed that 90% of their LED TVs are now "smart". Just a year or two ago, I was able to choose from "dumb" TVs, which I prefer so I don't have to interact with Samsung's "apps", and other features I don't need that only make usability more difficult. Since I'm used to Apple's world, I don't want to start being forced to buy products with Samsung's "smart" software.
See, that's all well and good, but lets say you have a "dumb TV". Then you want Netflix and youTube. You go buy an Apple TV, connect it via HDMI to your TV, and boom, you have a smart TV. The only difference is that your "smarts" are external instead of internal.

Do I have a dumb TV with an Apple TV? Yes. Do I wish I had a samsung smart TV instead? Yes. I'd so much rather built in DLNA, YouTube, Netflix, etc.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion