Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:06 PM   #1
ee99ee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Removing Griffin Survivor Screen Protector?

I have had the Griffin Survivor case for my new iPad for a couple of weeks now. I just can't seem to get used to the screen protector, but I LOVE the rubberized outer shell. The case is great, and I'm very happy, with the except for the screen protector. It seems to create an air pocket between the screen and my fingers causing the keyboard to only detect about 80-90% of what I actually touch. Maybe I just have a light touch.

Have any of you been successful at removing the screen protector? I'm thinking I can just take it apart and use a razor blade or something and slice off the screen protector, then reassemble it to fully expose the iPad screen.

Perhaps I could even use a stick-on screen protector instead of the one built into the case to give the screen some protection.

Thoughts?

-Chris
ee99ee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 04:48 PM   #2
theMIGHTYtroll
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I've done it

I have actually recently just removed the built in screen protector for the Griffin Survivor iPad case. It is not an easy feat, due to the strong glue, but in the end, you will notice a much more easier experience. If you have the new iPad, you will notice how beautiful the screen actually is. No more of that colorful grainy watermark. Touch responsiveness is also much, much better. I think Griffin utterly fails at implementing built in protectors into their cases. My only concern for you is the process and end result. It is fairly tough to get it off and clean off some of the excess glue, but in the end, it's all worth it. As for the extra screen protector, I would advise in doing so. The only type of screen protector I have personal knowledge that is wonderful is Ghost Armor. Ghost armor's screen protectors are very well made. I suggest looking for a local kiosk at the mall or check out their website at http://www.ghost-armor.com/

If you have additional questions or want actual steps in removing the screen protector, just ask.
theMIGHTYtroll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
ee99ee
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Instead of trying to remove it, could you not just cut the screen protector with an exacto knife? That way you wouldn't have to be worried about the glue.

-Chris
ee99ee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've known people do it with the iPhone version, but I have no problems with mine except for then"p" key which takes a slightly harder tap. I didn't consider one for my iPad though....They are great protection, but let's face it, they are pig ugly.....
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:26 AM   #5
theMIGHTYtroll
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I don't know...

I guess cutting it off would work too, but you would have to be very precise and make sure that it is perfect. Completely removing it then rubbing the glue-ey surface with something like toilet paper actually makes it a lot less sticky. Doesn't affect th case at all and you end up with the protection of the survivor without any drawbacks.
theMIGHTYtroll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:42 PM   #6
foobaz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMIGHTYtroll View Post
I have actually recently just removed the built in screen protector for the Griffin Survivor iPad case. It is not an easy feat, due to the strong glue, but in the end, you will notice a much more easier experience. If you have the new iPad, you will notice how beautiful the screen actually is. No more of that colorful grainy watermark. Touch responsiveness is also much, much better. I think Griffin utterly fails at implementing built in protectors into their cases. My only concern for you is the process and end result. It is fairly tough to get it off and clean off some of the excess glue, but in the end, it's all worth it.
If you have additional questions or want actual steps in removing the screen protector, just ask.
Yes, please post exactly how you removed it. I can't stand the dust behind the screen and the way the grains absolutely ruin the 'retina display' experience. I wrote Griffin and asked if there was a solvent that would remove the glue without marring the case. The reply I got said not to use acetone on the case and not to remove the screen protector at all as it would void the warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Service
Also, with any screen protector designed for the protective cases, there will be a slight "pixilation" with the retina display. Unfortunately, it is just some that could not be avoided.
Oh really? Then how come there are so many companies offering a screen protector that is CLEAR!? They obviously don't get that they are ruining the very feature that is the reason why so many people bought the iPhone 4 in the first place.
foobaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:39 PM   #7
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee99ee View Post
I have had the Griffin Survivor case for my new iPad for a couple of weeks now. I just can't seem to get used to the screen protector, but I LOVE the rubberized outer shell. The case is great, and I'm very happy, with the except for the screen protector. It seems to create an air pocket between the screen and my fingers causing the keyboard to only detect about 80-90% of what I actually touch. Maybe I just have a light touch.

Have any of you been successful at removing the screen protector? I'm thinking I can just take it apart and use a razor blade or something and slice off the screen protector, then reassemble it to fully expose the iPad screen.

Perhaps I could even use a stick-on screen protector instead of the one built into the case to give the screen some protection.

Thoughts?

-Chris
I know it is not a Griffin, but I had the same issue with the otterbox and worked till I got the screen protector out. Then took googone and worked untill all the sticky was gone and now it is GREAT. I think this should work for the Griffin also. I pushed on one corner until it came loose and then pulled it all the way out.

HiddenPuppy
HiddenPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:41 AM   #8
nikki24
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Question

With the new cases do some of them have the protector screen that goes on last when putting it together (after the silicone case). It looks like a good case but one side has a shorter clip so not as firm on that side and something that makes me think it looks kind off fake. Might be me just being skeptical as I tend to be. I have seen images on google of coloured ones that look the same but nothing on youtube. Thanks for any help
nikki24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Haesslich
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki24 View Post
With the new cases do some of them have the protector screen that goes on last when putting it together (after the silicone case). It looks like a good case but one side has a shorter clip so not as firm on that side and something that makes me think it looks kind off fake. Might be me just being skeptical as I tend to be. I have seen images on google of coloured ones that look the same but nothing on youtube. Thanks for any help
The Survivor and Otterbox Defender screen protectors are built in. I'm not sure what case you're referring to.
Haesslich is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Griffen survivor screen protector removal Gman021 iPad Accessories 4 Mar 30, 2014 08:09 PM
What's the difference between the Griffin Survivor Skin and Griffin Protector? purplehope iPod touch Accessories 0 Apr 4, 2013 09:13 PM
iPad Mini: Griffin Survivor screen problem Artmuzz iPad Accessories 0 Mar 1, 2013 05:11 PM
Otterbox Defender vs. Griffin Survivor...screen protectors hakr100 iPhone Accessories 4 Jan 2, 2013 03:01 PM
Griffin Survivor Snoris iPhone Accessories 1 Dec 24, 2012 08:38 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC