Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aceweil

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Hey all,
I am new to the iPad and file transferring/converting so this might be a ridiculous or unclear question, but here it goes. I have a 4.7gb .mp4 movie that I am trying to place on a sd card so it doesn't take up the space on my iPad. However, when I try and transfer the file to the SD card it says its too big for the volume's format (FAT32) So I realize now that a file can't be larger than 4gb on a FAT32 formatted card. Does anyone know how I could reduce the size of this file to under 4gb without losing quality? Is this even possible, or is my only option to place it directly on the iPad and lose the space?

I ask because I will be living somewhere that doesn't allow me access to a computer or iTunes or anything so additional memory is great for me when I want to be watching movies in the bush.

I hope this made some sort of sense, and appreciate any advice. Thanks!
A

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
It's impossible to compress any further without losing quality. If I were you, I would compress the video file further to lose quality until quality and size were balanced to what I want. The other thing I would do is just store the video on the iPad directly for consumption because it's easier than carrying a SD card. For the iPad, I prefer 720p @ about 2.5-3Mbps H.264 with AAC audio. This normally compresses the video (let's say for example Disney's Up which is 96 minutes) to about 833.9MB. The result is a crystal clear video that plays well on the iPad (I almost can't see the difference). Just use Handbrake to compress and it should be fine.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I use Air Video. After ripping DVDs at high quality in Handbrake, I use Air Video to convert to an iPad friendly format, then drag into iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.