Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:07 PM   #1
julizeda
macrumors newbie

Buying an iMac from Amazon--good idea or no?

I'm on the verge of buying my first ever iMac, and am seriously considering getting it from Amazon. The price for the entry-level version w/ the 21.5" screen appears to be slightly cheaper, plus there's no tax which, of course, is a significant savings. The specs look to be the same. I realize that the return process might be slightly more complicated if we were to get a defective machine but, at this point, I'm willing to take that risk. Any other drawbacks that I should be aware of?

There's just one issue that has me confused. The AppleCare Protection plan (which we're thinking we want) appears to be more expensive on Amazon ($164 vs $119). Does anyone know why this would be? Can I buy the computer hardware on Amazon and get the protection plan separately from elsewhere?

TIA
julizeda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:13 PM   #2
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

If you can wait, do so. They are due for a refresh anytime now. Yes amazon are fine to order Apple hardware from in my experience.

Applecare can always be purchased elsewhere up until day 365 of purchasing the machine.

Perhaps you're looking at Applecare protection for Macbook Air or Macbook Pro?

These tend to be more expensive than iMac applecare. Anyway you have up to a year to purchase it either at Amazon or elsewhere.

Hope that helps (if you can wait do so!)
All Taken is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:16 PM   #3
forty2j
macrumors 68030

Agree with the "please wait". Although none of us has inside info, there's good indications of a refresh by mid-May.

As for buying electronics through Amazon, I've never had a problem with any of the marketplace retailers that are there. The return process is longer, but it isn't necessarily more painful. But personally, my last Macs have been purchased through MacMall (minor sale; no tax; free shipping IIRC) and at a physical Apple Store (instant gratification). Depending on how the new iMac specs look, I might be customizing my next through Apple.com.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Akack
macrumors 6502a

Buying and returning stuff from Amazon is just as easy, maybe easier than a traditional brick and mortar store since you don't have to speak to anyone.

For returns, everything is done online. Go to the return link, fill out what is wrong with the iMac, then print out a pre paid shipping label. Key is to make sure something is "wrong" or else you may need to pay for return shipping ( ie iMac fan on constantly ).

As for AppleCare you can buy it anywhere as long as you're within the original one year warranty.

If you can wait there will be a new gen iMac coming soon, thus you can choose to buy the newer model or buy the previous generation for a nice discount.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:50 PM   #5
matbook101
Banned

Applecare for iMac is $170 but with the student discount it is $120.
matbook101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Kendo
macrumors 65816

If you get a defective machine, you can actually just replace it at the Apple Store. I got a MacBook Air from Amazon that had a defective keyboard and the Apple Store just gave me a brand new unit. The only "negative" is that I had to keep my original box and accessories that came from Amazon so the serial number on the box didn't match the new MacBook Air.
Kendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:13 PM   #7
julizeda
macrumors newbie

Thanks so much, everyone. Unfortunately, our current computer is dying, which means we don't have the luxury of waiting for the new release. Just finalized the Amazon order so hopefully it all works out!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbook101 View Post
Applecare for iMac is $170 but with the student discount it is $120.
Yes! That's why the price was coming up different. Thank you!!
julizeda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:43 PM   #8
middleagedad
macrumors newbie

I just bought the base 21.5 mac at the end of Feb and have no regrets. My PC also died so I couldn't wait for refresh (there will always be a newer model on the horizon). I also got apple care for $119 @ J&R.com and 8gb crucial RAM on Amazon or 39.99 (an easy diy upgrade). Good luck w/your new machine you will love it.
middleagedad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Apple Corps
macrumors 68020

Ditto what middleagedad said - the current iMacs are excellent.
Apple Corps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:34 AM   #10
KingJosh
Banned

if you buy from amazon you will have to pay shipping. Buy from Apple online store you get free shipping
KingJosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 01:16 AM   #11
frankdogg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJosh View Post
if you buy from amazon you will have to pay shipping. Buy from Apple online store you get free shipping
Unless you have prime. With prime you get free 2-day shipping or for 3.99 next day or is it 4.99. Plus amazon sells is at a competitive price which makes it cheaper than buying directly from Apple. Only downside is the upgrading like if you were to buy an optional screen upgrade (MacBook)
frankdogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 02:13 AM   #12
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJosh View Post
Negative. All orders from amazon over $25 include free shipping regardless of 'membership'. Proved amazon or close affiliate is the actual seller.
noisycats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:26 AM   #13
KingJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
Negative. All orders from amazon over $25 include free shipping regardless of 'membership'. Proved amazon or close affiliate is the actual seller.
Not to Australia
KingJosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:08 AM   #14
tikitommy
macrumors regular

Related Amazon question

Does any one have an idea how long it will take Amazon to get a hold of a new iMac model after its release by Apple?

I'm waiting for the refresh but want to buy from Amazon for tax and shipping savings.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:22 AM   #15
aComicBookFan
macrumors member

I ordered my iMac recently from Amazon. You can see my thread about it here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1344266

I had a good experience and I would recommend purchasing from them.

If you are located in the US then you will not pay S&H if you select standard shipping. It's slower to arrive but the savings are substantial enough for consideration. You can also skip out on local sales tax.

Like others have said here already, Amazon's return policy is very liberal in most cases.

Depending on your credit card, you may get extra points or rewards. Amazon is technically a "Bookstore" and some cards give extra incentives for buying from "Bookstores" (5% back vs 1%).

-=- Boris
aComicBookFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac