Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:12 AM   #76
Ping Guo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylortm View Post
This is great news!!! Where can I get the $30/month for voice and data? My contract with at&t is up (no etf) next month. I want to switch!
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

That's the one I use, unlimited text and data for $30/month. You prepay by the month, can cancel any time, and can switch plans by logging into their website. It says the "first 5GB is 4G speed", and while I don't know exactly what that means, I never had a problem doing emails and watching the occasional Youtube vid.
Ping Guo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:56 AM   #77
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping Guo View Post
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

That's the one I use, unlimited text and data for $30/month. You prepay by the month, can cancel any time, and can switch plans by logging into their website. It says the "first 5GB is 4G speed", and while I don't know exactly what that means, I never had a problem doing emails and watching the occasional Youtube vid.
Have fun with GrooveIP. Not going to work without HSPA+ and a good signal, and T-Mobile doesn't have much of either of those.

This is not disruptive at all, it's just T-Mo scraping for anything they can.

Also, why are we talking about a plan that isn't compatible with the iPhone on an iPhone/Mac forum?
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 03:22 PM   #78
Diode
macrumors 68020
 
Diode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington DC
Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
No. GSM vs. CDMA is irrelevant. The vast majority of users are buying phones made for that service, and no SIM-swapping into phones they got off Ebay.

The only part of that argument that is remotely true is foreigners.

I don't think prices would be lower. There would still be only two companies with good networks. And that's not because they're evil. You can't have 5 good networks with good coverage. As it is, Verizon and AT&T aren't both universally good, it depends on the area.
Having to buy a new device to switch carriers is a HUGE barrier of entry to consumers and results in higher plan prices.
__________________
16GB iPhone 4; 2.4 GHZ C2D iMac 4GB Ram; 32GB iPad2; AppleTV2
Diode is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:38 PM   #79
CFreymarc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBlue1 View Post
great news
And the launch date for this is 4-20. Dude!
CFreymarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:08 PM   #80
SystemHasFailed
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post
T-Mobile quickly becoming the only carrier that doesn't offer the iPhone. Ironic.
And positively sickening...

Thanks Robert Dotson for leaving T-Mobile with that legacy... "The carrier that doesn't iPhone"..

Jerk.
__________________
System Info: Model: Mac Pro Xeon Bloomfield CPU Speed: 24 @ 2.4 GHz L2: 256 KB L3: 12 MB RAM: 12 GB OS X: Version 10.9.2 (Build 13C64)
SystemHasFailed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:08 PM   #81
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
Having to buy a new device to switch carriers is a HUGE barrier of entry to consumers and results in higher plan prices.
Right now there's only one device that works on both AT&T and T-Mobile, and neither carrier subsidizes it, so your theory about GSM makes no sense.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 01:35 PM   #82
Diode
macrumors 68020
 
Diode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington DC
Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Right now there's only one device that works on both AT&T and T-Mobile, and neither carrier subsidizes it, so your theory about GSM makes no sense.
Exactly - why would AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc want one device that would allow a consumer to simply switch and keep the same phone?

CDMA technology technically allows a Sprint phone to work on Verizon but the carriers purposely block this from happening. Like I said they don't want consumers to easily switch between carriers. More fluidity would result in lower plan prices. Keep believing prices can't be lower - they enjoy their fat margins.

But I don't fully understand your point.
__________________
16GB iPhone 4; 2.4 GHZ C2D iMac 4GB Ram; 32GB iPad2; AppleTV2
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 02:05 PM   #83
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
Exactly - why would AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc want one device that would allow a consumer to simply switch and keep the same phone?

CDMA technology technically allows a Sprint phone to work on Verizon but the carriers purposely block this from happening. Like I said they don't want consumers to easily switch between carriers. More fluidity would result in lower plan prices. Keep believing prices can't be lower - they enjoy their fat margins.

But I don't fully understand your point.
You implied that there is more competition between AT&T and T-Mobile because of GSM. There's only one phone that can go between both, so that theory is wrong.

That, and AT&T and T-Mobile don't compete in the same market space anyways. AT&T and Verizon do.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 04:38 PM   #84
Diode
macrumors 68020
 
Diode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington DC
Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
You implied that there is more competition between AT&T and T-Mobile because of GSM. There's only one phone that can go between both, so that theory is wrong.

That, and AT&T and T-Mobile don't compete in the same market space anyways. AT&T and Verizon do.
I still don't understand what you are taking from my original argument but I'll try to summarize it again. I was trying to respond to another poster who was asking why prepaid doesn't really exist in the US like it does elsewhere.

The prepaid market relies on the ready availability of phones that can easily work between carriers. Prepaid markets have high turnovers with customers usually switching from one to the other based on prices.

In the US, where the only two GSM carriers are on two incompatible 3G GSM technologies makes prepaid almost non-existent here. GSM for prepaid matters because the mass majority of phones produced overseas are GSM. Not to mention its easier to switch carriers - you just need to throw in a SIM and go.

Add that only other large wireless provider, Verizon, does not use GSM (thus requiring you to purchase a Verizon device to use their prepaid service), and the fact that AT&T essentially has a stranglehold on the GSM market in the US, translates to a wireless market in the US where prepaid does not exist.

T-Mobile does put some downward pressure on AT&T - but the fact that their 3G is not compatible with a majority of the AT&T phones really hurts how effective that is.

If T-Mobile's gamble pays off and they can refarm and enable 3G on 1900 (thus allowing unlocked AT&T phones to work on T-Mobile) - you can bet competition will heat up between the two.

You can also bet that if both Verizon and AT&T used GSM - prices in the US would be a lot lower.
__________________
16GB iPhone 4; 2.4 GHZ C2D iMac 4GB Ram; 32GB iPad2; AppleTV2
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:50 PM   #85
yeah
macrumors 6502a
 
yeah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping Guo View Post
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

That's the one I use, unlimited text and data for $30/month. You prepay by the month, can cancel any time, and can switch plans by logging into their website. It says the "first 5GB is 4G speed", and while I don't know exactly what that means, I never had a problem doing emails and watching the occasional Youtube vid.
It means 5GB is 4G speed, after that, you can use all the data you want, but speeds will be slower.
__________________
Steve Jobs (1955-2011).
yeah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:53 AM   #86
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
I still don't understand what you are taking from my original argument but I'll try to summarize it again. I was trying to respond to another poster who was asking why prepaid doesn't really exist in the US like it does elsewhere.

The prepaid market relies on the ready availability of phones that can easily work between carriers. Prepaid markets have high turnovers with customers usually switching from one to the other based on prices.

In the US, where the only two GSM carriers are on two incompatible 3G GSM technologies makes prepaid almost non-existent here. GSM for prepaid matters because the mass majority of phones produced overseas are GSM. Not to mention its easier to switch carriers - you just need to throw in a SIM and go.

Add that only other large wireless provider, Verizon, does not use GSM (thus requiring you to purchase a Verizon device to use their prepaid service), and the fact that AT&T essentially has a stranglehold on the GSM market in the US, translates to a wireless market in the US where prepaid does not exist.

T-Mobile does put some downward pressure on AT&T - but the fact that their 3G is not compatible with a majority of the AT&T phones really hurts how effective that is.

If T-Mobile's gamble pays off and they can refarm and enable 3G on 1900 (thus allowing unlocked AT&T phones to work on T-Mobile) - you can bet competition will heat up between the two.

You can also bet that if both Verizon and AT&T used GSM - prices in the US would be a lot lower.
You were trying to argue that CDMA vs. GSM matters to the customer. News flash: it doesn't.

Prepaid is alive and well in the US. America Movil is like the 5th or 6th largest cell phone company, and every major company has prepaid brands as well.

T-Mobile's joke of a network doesn't compete with AT&T. Practically no one knows what PCS or AWS is. Verizon does compete with AT&T. What is putting competitive pressure on AT&T is Verizon's super fast rollout of 4G LTE.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 08:14 PM   #87
Diode
macrumors 68020
 
Diode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington DC
Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
You were trying to argue that CDMA vs. GSM matters to the customer. News flash: it doesn't.

Prepaid is alive and well in the US. America Movil is like the 5th or 6th largest cell phone company, and every major company has prepaid brands as well.

T-Mobile's joke of a network doesn't compete with AT&T. Practically no one knows what PCS or AWS is. Verizon does compete with AT&T. What is putting competitive pressure on AT&T is Verizon's super fast rollout of 4G LTE.
The technology doesn't matter between carriers but the fact they can't switch between carriers without buying a new phone does. This results in in them most staying with one carrier. There is little turn over in the market and this allows carriers to charge more.

American Movil uses AT&T network. You can bet they are at the mercy of AT&T in regards to pricing.
__________________
16GB iPhone 4; 2.4 GHZ C2D iMac 4GB Ram; 32GB iPad2; AppleTV2
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 01:09 PM   #88
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
The technology doesn't matter between carriers but the fact they can't switch between carriers without buying a new phone does. This results in in them most staying with one carrier. There is little turn over in the market and this allows carriers to charge more.

American Movil uses AT&T network. You can bet they are at the mercy of AT&T in regards to pricing.
There is still a fair amount of churn. It might be lower than in other countries where you can switch phones, but it's still there.

America Movil uses T-Mobile the most, but has Tracfone on T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon, and has other offerings on those carriers plus Sprint. Net10 started all AT&T, I'm not sure what they are now, ST started all Verizon, and now covers all four carriers with unlimited, and at least Verizon with the $30 plan.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:55 PM   #89
iamb4
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctape View Post
I want to see Credo get access to the iPhone. Credo operates on Sprint's network so it's not like there's a technical hurdle as iPhones are already available on Sprint.



Check it out, there's a petition on change.org already!


http://www.change.org/petitions/appl...n-credo-mobile
iamb4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff' Coming to iPhone and iPad April 10 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 11 Apr 3, 2014 01:15 PM
Elder Scrolls Online Coming to Mac in April of 2014 MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 34 Feb 4, 2014 05:03 PM
iPad: Jaku for iPad coming in April. Brandon0448 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 May 2, 2013 11:38 AM
Ashton Kutcher Movie 'jOBS' Coming to Theaters April 19 MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 25 Jan 24, 2013 05:48 PM
The UK small carriers (Giffgaff,Virgin,etc.) nano sim thread erpetao iPhone 18 Oct 5, 2012 08:11 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC