Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
friends,
i have apple tv 3, i have enabled home sharing on it and also on macbook pro 17" itunes, by this i am able to play the contents from itunes but need to mirrorplay, please guide me to do so, i found some paid softwares but dont want to buy anything more now.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
friends,
i have apple tv 3, i have enabled home sharing on it and also on macbook pro 17" itunes, by this i am able to play the contents from itunes but need to mirrorplay, please guide me to do so, i found some paid softwares but dont want to buy anything more now.

wait for Mountain Lion it will have that feature

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan
wait for Mountain Lion it will have that feature

If you are an Apple Developer, you can download Mountain Lion (10.8) now and use it. I tried it and it works very well.

Beware though, lots of things don't work yet in 10.8, Virtualization software (Virtual box, VM, etc), the address book and a number of other little things. Virtual Box will totally hang your system for example.

I have to admit, sharing you desktop on any of your Apple TVs is nice.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
So yeah, as stated, either you buy an OSX Developer License ($99 a year) or you buy an additional piece of software. There's no "free" way to get desktop mirroring on an AppleTV.

Eninety2

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
anybody have any idea how much mountain lion is gonna run to current users? first Mac user here so I am unfamiliar with the upgrade process.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
i found some paid softwares but dont want to buy anything more now.

I am guessing you are talking about AirParrot? If you only need to stream from one MacBook, then the single license is only $10, so not too bad. I've tried it out and the picture is pretty choppy, but it gets the job done. But it appears that the trial version will continue to work, just in 20 minute increments. If you don't have a lot to watch, that may suffice until ML comes out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.