Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I cannot stress how poor the iOS keyboard is on the iPhone. I recently switched back to 4S and there are many things about this phone I like, but typing remains a sore spot. It's almost a deal breaker.

It's not just that it misses keys (which it does constantly--now I know where all those funny iPhone typo/autocorrection websites come from), but just other little things, like how it doesn't recognize and separate words when a bottom-row letter is pressed instead of the spacebar ('likebthis' will become 'like this' with the ICS keyboard) or how if iPHone thinks you've made a typo, but you're actually typing either slang or something, on ICS you can hit backspace once and it'll "un-autocorrect" it back to what you originally wrote. With the iOS keyboard, it's hit or miss trying to tap that X button to cancel their autocorrection. These are just two examples. There are many other little things that ICS keyboard just does so much more intuitively, which the iOS keyboard does not.

The shortcuts help mitigate the problem, but it's a roundabout way. The keyboard should be able to keep up. I have to type so much slower in order to avoid typos. I don't know if it's the screen size or what (because I noticed iOS keyboard is infinitely better on the iPad in either keyboard-mode or split-key mode), but the keyboard desperately needs to be updated or revamped in iOS 6.

And I know I can't be the only one who's experiencing this. I say this because I think it speaks to a bigger issue, and that is, iPhone users tend to deny that the phone has any faults, and some will even go as far to claim it as perfect, or "it just works." I've said this before: anyone who has genuinely used both platforms (Android, and specifically ICS, and iOS. Sorry Windows) will admit they both have their share of problems. This is called intellectual honesty, and when people taut that something is perfect when it's not, it actually does disservice to the product. If no one ever admits this, there is no reason for Apple to make improvements. Maybe this is why the keyboard has barely been upgraded.

Anyway, thanks for listening, and if you experience the same thing, do chime up.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
To each their own. I find the iOS keyboard to be better than the stock one on my Droid X.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Having both Galaxy Nexus (ICS) and iPhone 4S.

I can still type much faster on the iPhone 4S than the Gnex. It's just a matter of preference.

If you are one of those who "prefers" auto complete and help, than ICS keyboard is the way to go. I despise "auto complete" helpers. I despise and helpers.

Again to each their own.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
To each their own. I find the iOS keyboard to be better than the stock one on my Droid X.

I like the predictive capability of the Android OS and where it gives you numerous words to pick from as you type, something I had been expecting to see in iOS early on, but now I don't, since it hasn't changed much.

What keyboard do you use on your Droid?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I like the predictive capability of the Android OS and where it gives you numerous words to pick from as you type[...]

This is probably the only thing from the Android keyboard that I prefer over iOS's. Other than that, it has been my personal experience that iOS's keyboard is far superior in correctly predicting context, grammar, and spelling.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011

Agreed.

Of all the things to complain about iPhone keyboard is near the very bottom of the list.

Android forums (granted a lot more platforms and OS's) keyboards seem to be more of an issue.

IOS 5.1 keyboard on a newer iPad or iPhone is still a happy experience for the majority of real world users.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Keep in mind, I'm speaking specifically about stock Ice Cream Sandwich keyboard. I'm not sure what Droid X or HTC or others use. The ICS keyboard is leaps and bounds ahead of iOS'. I can type with confidence and at my own speed (relatively fast) and rarely see a missed key. And, as mentioned earlier, all the little things it does is so much smarter and attuned to what's going on.

This is simply not true on iOS and the iPhone. I'm constantly see "wht" or "he" (when trying to say 'hey'), or "bein", or the worse and most frequent failure is "you" and any derivative of that word. I'm constantly seeing "ou" or "yu" or when trying to type "you're" it comes out as "yure" or "yore".

Like I said, shortcuts mitigate this problem, but it's a cumbersome and roundabout way; hardly a solution.

EDIT: I'm currently messaging with people on the phone, and another frequent word it can't get right is "this". It always comes out as "thi." I'm typing slower to try to avoid it, but it occurs nonetheless.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
This is probably the only thing from the Android keyboard that I prefer over iOS's. Other than that, it has been my personal experience that iOS's keyboard is far superior in correctly predicting context, grammar, and spelling.

Uh, yeah, once I'm on the second to last letter of the word. :) That's my experience. Really.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I'm not calling anyone a liar here, and I understand everyone thumbs at different speeds, but I have to stress how important the last paragraph in my OP is.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
The best keyboard (if you can really call it that) that I've tried is Swype, its one of the few things I miss from Android. The iPhone keyboard has gotten worse over time - though I don't know the reason - but autocorrect is horrible now. If I had to rank them it would be:

1) Android (Swype)
2) WP7
3) iOS
4) Stock Android Keyboard (last experience using the Droid X)

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
The funny thing is, sometimes it'll be buttery smooth (this is more rare than common) and other times it'll blatantly miss keys. Something isn't right with how this keyboard runs. I don't know what it is, but it's something.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
It's not just that it misses keys (which it does constantly--now I know where all those funny iPhone typo/autocorrection websites come from), but just other little things, like how it doesn't recognize and separate words when a bottom-row letter is pressed instead of the spacebar ('likebthis' will become 'like this' with the ICS keyboard) or how if iPHone thinks you've made a typo, but you're actually typing either slang or something, on ICS you can hit backspace once and it'll "un-autocorrect" it back to what you originally wrote. With the iOS keyboard, it's hit or miss trying to tap that X button to cancel their autocorrection. These are just two examples. There are many other little things that ICS keyboard just does so much more intuitively, which the iOS keyboard does not.

Its funny because those are the two problems i notice the most.

I will agree that sometimes recognizing the space between words if you accidentally type a bottom letter instead does not work all the time. But that functionality is there.

Also if you type in something that is supposed to be slang or whatever and it auto corrects it, if you hit backspace to get the cursor to the end of the word it auto corrected, it actually will pop up with what you originally typed and you can easily change it from there.

Visual help!

15q6c1y.jpg

I will agree its not the best keyboard ever, but i doubt every keyboard out there is "perfect"

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
The best keyboard (if you can really call it that) that I've tried is Swype, its one of the few things I miss from Android. The iPhone keyboard has gotten worse over time - though I don't know the reason - but autocorrect is horrible now. If I had to rank them it would be:

1) Android (Swype)
2) WP7
3) iOS
4) Stock Android Keyboard

Swype is novel and impressive, as is Swiftkey. I didn't bother mentioning other keyboards because I didn't want to pretend Apple will ever allow them on iOS. Simply comparing stock to stock.

I disagree with where you've put stock Android on your list. I don't want to belabor my point, but I'm speaking solely about ICS.

And this isn't necessarily directed at you Roe... Anyone who has used ICS on the Galaxy Nexus, I cannot believe would claim it isn't more responsive than iOS.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Simply comparing stock to stock. I disagree with where you've put stock Android. I don't want to belabor my point, but I'm speaking solely about ICS. Anyone who has used ICS on the Galaxy Nexus, I cannot believe would claim it isn't more responsive than iOS.

That may be true (I'll clarify the post). I've only had a passing use of the ICS keyboard to help someone setup their e-mail. I was basing it off my experiences (and the last one I had was with my Droid X, which might have been a stock MotoBlur keyboard).

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I will agree its not the best keyboard ever, but i doubt every keyboard out there is "perfect"

No, no keyboard is perfect. That's the crux of my last [and important] paragraph in my OP.

I'm saying, ICS stock keyboard is faster, more intuitive and clever, and more reliable to type on than iOS keyboard.

EDIT: And, more importantly, I'm also saying people need to admit the iOS keyboard severely needs improvement.

Last edited:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
The only complaint I have with the iOS keyboard is that, for some stupid reason, they put the comma on the second page. Otherwise, I've never had any problems with it.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Serious post here. You mentioned that you have little to no issue when using the ipad (note bigger keyboard), could it be that you simply have huge fingers for such a small device? I personally don't have this issue and its not like we have a ton of whinny iphone keyboard threads all over the place. I know when the iphone first came out people fussed about it, I suppose folks got use to it I guess.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Serious post here. You mentioned that you have little to no issue when using the ipad (note bigger keyboard), could it be that you simply have huge fingers for such a small device? I personally don't have this issue and its not like we have a ton of whinny iphone keyboard threads all over the place. I know when the iphone first came out people fussed about it, I suppose folks got use to it I guess.

Actually, I should clarify, I do see the same issue pop up on the iPad, just not as frequently. I don't believe I have large hands or fingers. Also, it doesn't explain why I can type much better on ICS when I was testing it out on the Nexus S (it's even better on the Galaxy Nexus, obviously).

EDIT: Maybe it's less frequent cause the iPad has 1 GB of RAM? Speculating.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
People with larger fingers will find iOS's keyboard very limiting. I hate to say it but 60% of american are obese and when you throw in the populations in Europe that are traditionally larger in size (nordics), you have a portion of the population that will need larger screens, larger keyboards, and larger interfaces. The keyboard tech in iOS is much more sophisticated than Android keyboards, WP7 keyboards, and even Swype. It's a predictive text entry that is supposed to replace physical keyboard use. This however backfires for people with larger fingers. So how do you measure if your hands are large in comparison to the iPhone? Well, you cradle the iPhone in your hand and connect your thumb to your middle finger. If your fingernail on your thumb goes past the fingernail on your middle finger by over half, the iPhone is too small for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DtbPOXFk00
This is kinda funny but you can sort of see why Apple would do a mash the keypad for help feature.

Last edited:

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
You're right. It could and should be improved.

Not a dealbreaker I guess since I'm still using a iPhone.

Not that most people here would admit anything is ever in need of being fixed.

Perhaps if Apple only hired a few more people they could get to this.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
So the OP has discussed, ad nauseum, how he (or she) thinks the ICS keyboard is better. Ok, cool. I think it is too. So what has been accomplished here?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I really like the iOS keyboard and am more accurate with it, but I suspect that's because I'm typing on an iPad rather than a smartphone :p

The ics keyboard is really good and it does indeed implement autocorrect better and I also think the way numbers are used is better. I've actually asked Apple to implement the Android method of number input many times over the years, but so far my requests have fallen on deaf ears. Number input on Android is much more intuitive and faster.

Autocorrect on Android offers a list of corrections rather than assuming only one is correct. That is a great feature.

Something as important as the keyboard can change an entire experience.

One thing about your post though: my iPad changes "testingbthis" to "testing this" . Not sure why yours doesn't!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I used to love swiftkeys! It's almost like a mind reader. There were times I could type entire sentences with only touching the actual keyboard 2 or 3 times. It's next word predictions are very impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6poOrKoEf8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

As far as the stock keyboards go I think ics is just a bit better. I'm not really that particular when it comes to keyboards. I don't like how I have to menu dive for " []{{#%%^*+=•¥£€€><~||\_.,,?!'. But I wouldn't consider the iOS keyboard a deal breaker.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

1) Android (Swype)
2) WP7
3) iOS
4) Stock Android Keyboard (last experience using the Droid X)
Yeh I love swype, plus it's great for regular typing not just "swyping" lol.... but that way as it learns your words and use after a few months it's fast as hell swyping and pretty accurate, I usually do a mix of typing and swyping since some words can be harder.

Smart Keyboard and Swift were also great, stock Android sucks, but luckily my phone came with Swype also which I thought was odd as all I ever heard was you had to find the Swype file and install from online? Is it standard on all the phones now?

I never really had a problem with the iOS keyboard, I just really hated how horrid their editing/correcting feature was, they need something like Android where you can touch accurately anywhere and then highlight or drag wherever easily. That's really my only nitpick with iOS keyboard, it lacks also with predicting and auto-correcting but neither are that big a deal to me whether iOS or Android. It is easier to miss key's but that has to do moreso with it being crammed into a 3.5" screen. Still better than the stock Android keyboard.

edit - by stock Android I mean the one that came on my GSII, not the stock ICS version on others, in which the ICS keyboard is awesome.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.