Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 4, 2012, 02:55 PM   #1
braindamage
macrumors newbie

Exclamation iPhone 4 turns off on its own and doesn't go back on until plugged into pc/power

My iPhone 4 started doing this weird thing all of a sudden.
First day: turned off on its own and wouldn't go on when I pressed the two buttons together or just the top, or reset (if that's what it's called), button. I could only have it go on when plugged into the power source. The battery was almost full during this.
Second day: it turned off almost three times and would only go back on when plugged to my macbook or to power source.
Today it has been doing it over and over! What could be the reason? Has the battery gone mad?
Please help! And don't tell me to take it to Apple for a replacement! I have no warranty and I want to know what's wrong before I decide to just throw it away.
I had IOS 5.0.1 on it. I thought maybe updating it would fix the problem but that did not work. I can't go back to a previous version because my iPhone has never been jailbroken.
braindamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 03:12 PM   #2
whtrbt7
macrumors 6502a

It sounds like either the battery is bad or it's not connected anymore. I would make an appointment with an Apple Genius and then have them check it out. If you need a battery replacement I think it's only $99 or something.
whtrbt7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 03:39 PM   #3
braindamage
macrumors newbie

Do you know how I can check if the battery has been disconnected? I opened it up once before to change the wifi antenna... That could be the problem but how come the phone works before its shuts off? If the battery is not connected then it shouldn't charge or stay on for a couple of hours sometimes after being unplugged.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 03:47 PM   #4
SurferMan
macrumors 65816

Just open the phone and pull the battery again and set back into place making sure the contacts with the power cable are correct, sounds like it may be loose. That or you have a failing battery (does happen) or hardware glitch. I don't think the phone will work if just plugged in and battery removed just like the MBP's and others won't if plugged in w/o the battery so wouldn't matter if the battery wasn't making contact. What's happening is it's charging just enough to stay on when you plug it in but not fully since it sounds like the battery isn't set right or cable is loose.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Reach9
macrumors 68020

Definitely a battery issue. Happened to my iPhone 3G a few times for a couple months until it finally died.

Go to the Genius Bar, they'll fix it!
Reach9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 03:59 AM   #6
DroidRules
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindamage View Post
First day: turned off on its own and wouldn't go on when I pressed the two buttons together or just the top, or reset (if that's what it's called), button. I could only have it go on when plugged into the power source. The battery was almost full during this.
Second day: it turned off almost three times and would only go back on when plugged to my macbook or to power source.
Today it has been doing it over and over! What could be the reason? Has the battery gone mad?
Please help! And don't tell me to take it to Apple for a replacement! I have no warranty and I want to know what's wrong before I decide to just throw it away.
I had IOS 5.0.1 on it. I thought maybe updating it would fix the problem but that did not work. I can't go back to a previous version because my iPhone has never been jailbroken.
Take it to apple and have them replace it! JK, have them check it out then maybe a $150 OOW replacement?
DroidRules is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 06:18 AM   #7
braindamage
macrumors newbie

I found that the screw and some shield that is supposed to be under where the battery is connected are missing. Could that be the problem?

Last edited by braindamage; Apr 6, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 07:18 AM   #8
powaking
macrumors 6502

I have an extra battery for an iPhone 4 that I bought but never used. Hit me up if you need a new battery. I think I paid $12 for it, I'll let it go for what I paid.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 07:23 AM   #9
braindamage
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by powaking View Post
I have an extra battery for an iPhone 4 that I bought but never used. Hit me up if you need a new battery. I think I paid $12 for it, I'll let it go for what I paid.
I would but I don't think the fault is in the battery itself. Sometimes the phone would last the entire day and then turn off or it would last an hour. Other times after it's fully charged it just turns off as soon as I disconnect the cable from it.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:11 PM   #10
SurferMan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I would but I don't think the fault is in the battery itself. Sometimes the phone would last the entire day and then turn off or it would last an hour. Other times after it's fully charged it just turns off as soon as I disconnect the cable from it.
I haven't taken apart on iPhone in awhile but can you post a pic of what you say is missing?

You might as well try a new battery, it's either the battery is on the fritz or the connector isn't making reliable contact with the battery.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:33 AM   #11
sachinkotian
macrumors newbie

Hello "Braindamage" - Did you get any resolution on the problem faced. Am facing the same problem with my recently jailbroken iphone 4 (version 5.1.1).. Please help..... notify me on sachin.kotian@hdfcbank.com

Regards, Sachin (India)

Quote:
sachinkotian is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone