Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 4, 2012, 02:55 PM   #1
braindamage
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Exclamation iPhone 4 turns off on its own and doesn't go back on until plugged into pc/power

My iPhone 4 started doing this weird thing all of a sudden.
First day: turned off on its own and wouldn't go on when I pressed the two buttons together or just the top, or reset (if that's what it's called), button. I could only have it go on when plugged into the power source. The battery was almost full during this.
Second day: it turned off almost three times and would only go back on when plugged to my macbook or to power source.
Today it has been doing it over and over! What could be the reason? Has the battery gone mad?
Please help! And don't tell me to take it to Apple for a replacement! I have no warranty and I want to know what's wrong before I decide to just throw it away.
I had IOS 5.0.1 on it. I thought maybe updating it would fix the problem but that did not work. I can't go back to a previous version because my iPhone has never been jailbroken.
braindamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 03:12 PM   #2
whtrbt7
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
It sounds like either the battery is bad or it's not connected anymore. I would make an appointment with an Apple Genius and then have them check it out. If you need a battery replacement I think it's only $99 or something.
whtrbt7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 03:39 PM   #3
braindamage
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Do you know how I can check if the battery has been disconnected? I opened it up once before to change the wifi antenna... That could be the problem but how come the phone works before its shuts off? If the battery is not connected then it shouldn't charge or stay on for a couple of hours sometimes after being unplugged.
braindamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 03:47 PM   #4
SurferMan
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South FL
Just open the phone and pull the battery again and set back into place making sure the contacts with the power cable are correct, sounds like it may be loose. That or you have a failing battery (does happen) or hardware glitch. I don't think the phone will work if just plugged in and battery removed just like the MBP's and others won't if plugged in w/o the battery so wouldn't matter if the battery wasn't making contact. What's happening is it's charging just enough to stay on when you plug it in but not fully since it sounds like the battery isn't set right or cable is loose.
__________________
13" MBP 15" MBP jb'd 5 5S..... Galaxy S5
SurferMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Reach9
macrumors 68020
 
Reach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In America
Definitely a battery issue. Happened to my iPhone 3G a few times for a couple months until it finally died.

Go to the Genius Bar, they'll fix it!
Reach9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 03:59 AM   #6
DroidRules
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindamage View Post
My iPhone 4 started doing this weird thing all of a sudden.
First day: turned off on its own and wouldn't go on when I pressed the two buttons together or just the top, or reset (if that's what it's called), button. I could only have it go on when plugged into the power source. The battery was almost full during this.
Second day: it turned off almost three times and would only go back on when plugged to my macbook or to power source.
Today it has been doing it over and over! What could be the reason? Has the battery gone mad?
Please help! And don't tell me to take it to Apple for a replacement! I have no warranty and I want to know what's wrong before I decide to just throw it away.
I had IOS 5.0.1 on it. I thought maybe updating it would fix the problem but that did not work. I can't go back to a previous version because my iPhone has never been jailbroken.
Take it to apple and have them replace it! JK, have them check it out then maybe a $150 OOW replacement?
DroidRules is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 06:18 AM   #7
braindamage
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I found that the screw and some shield that is supposed to be under where the battery is connected are missing. Could that be the problem?

Last edited by braindamage; Apr 6, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
braindamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 07:18 AM   #8
powaking
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I have an extra battery for an iPhone 4 that I bought but never used. Hit me up if you need a new battery. I think I paid $12 for it, I'll let it go for what I paid.
__________________
White/Silver 32gb iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.4 jb 2007 MacBook Pro 2014 13" rMBP
powaking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 07:23 AM   #9
braindamage
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by powaking View Post
I have an extra battery for an iPhone 4 that I bought but never used. Hit me up if you need a new battery. I think I paid $12 for it, I'll let it go for what I paid.
I would but I don't think the fault is in the battery itself. Sometimes the phone would last the entire day and then turn off or it would last an hour. Other times after it's fully charged it just turns off as soon as I disconnect the cable from it.
braindamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:11 PM   #10
SurferMan
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindamage View Post
I would but I don't think the fault is in the battery itself. Sometimes the phone would last the entire day and then turn off or it would last an hour. Other times after it's fully charged it just turns off as soon as I disconnect the cable from it.
I haven't taken apart on iPhone in awhile but can you post a pic of what you say is missing?

You might as well try a new battery, it's either the battery is on the fritz or the connector isn't making reliable contact with the battery.
__________________
13" MBP 15" MBP jb'd 5 5S..... Galaxy S5
SurferMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:33 AM   #11
sachinkotian
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Hello "Braindamage" - Did you get any resolution on the problem faced. Am facing the same problem with my recently jailbroken iphone 4 (version 5.1.1).. Please help..... notify me on sachin.kotian@hdfcbank.com

Regards, Sachin (India)


Quote:
Originally Posted by braindamage View Post
My iPhone 4 started doing this weird thing all of a sudden.
First day: turned off on its own and wouldn't go on when I pressed the two buttons together or just the top, or reset (if that's what it's called), button. I could only have it go on when plugged into the power source. The battery was almost full during this.
Second day: it turned off almost three times and would only go back on when plugged to my macbook or to power source.
Today it has been doing it over and over! What could be the reason? Has the battery gone mad?
Please help! And don't tell me to take it to Apple for a replacement! I have no warranty and I want to know what's wrong before I decide to just throw it away.
I had IOS 5.0.1 on it. I thought maybe updating it would fix the problem but that did not work. I can't go back to a previous version because my iPhone has never been jailbroken.
sachinkotian is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iphone 4s only turns on when plugged into wall or computer mk2dee iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Dec 27, 2013 04:18 AM
iPhone 4S says its plugged in but doesn't charge.. help? geauxamerica iPhone 10 Apr 5, 2013 03:49 PM
Water spill turns on but thinks its plugged into power and fan wont stop... yonderdog MacBook Pro 3 Apr 5, 2013 03:22 PM
iphone 4g wont power on unless plugged in!! chrisdicko23 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Jan 18, 2013 10:40 PM
** iPhone 4S turns on 3G if I disable 3G and power on and off hamishIV iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Jul 1, 2012 05:13 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC