Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1
ericinboston
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
AppleTV Newbie-DVD collection question

Hi all...I'm quite technical but a newbie with AppleTV. I have a large DVD collection that I would love to convert to a file format and play/stream on the new AppleTV...and hopefully using AppleTV/iTunes it is very easy to sort/find/categorize the movies I create.

What I would like to do is copy/convert the DVD to the normal VOB/IFO/etc files/directories, then use a software program (hopefully freeware) to convert it to a file format that iTunes supports (and in true dvd quality), and then stream iTunes into Apple TV. The Apple website simply states "For streaming media from a Mac or PC: iTunes 10.6 or later; iTunes Store account for Home Sharing" so I assume streaming MY OWN NON-APPLE PURCHASED MOVIES is also possible.

Is this possible? If so, can you please give me some details such as the software application you would recommend, the codec/video settings/file format to convert it to, etc? I have used Handbrake in the past for short clips but never a full movie...and simply watched the converted file on my computer for testing. I would assume there are others out there like me with large dvd collections that would love to have them all stream-able and ready in an instant.

I'm using Windows XP and another Win7 box if needed.

Thanks so much in advance!
__________________
1st computer: Apple //e 1983-1992
Now: Lenovo E430 i7, 4GB; Thinkpad W500 8gig, 128DG SSD and 500GB SATA drive; Thinkpad W520 24GB, 2 128GB SSDs, Mac Mini Core 2 3gig, 500gig
ericinboston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Sedulous
macrumors 65816
 
Sedulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
Hi all...I'm quite technical but a newbie with AppleTV. I have a large DVD collection that I would love to convert to a file format and play/stream on the new AppleTV...and hopefully using AppleTV/iTunes it is very easy to sort/find/categorize the movies I create.

What I would like to do is copy/convert the DVD to the normal VOB/IFO/etc files/directories, then use a software program (hopefully freeware) to convert it to a file format that iTunes supports (and in true dvd quality), and then stream iTunes into Apple TV. The Apple website simply states "For streaming media from a Mac or PC: iTunes 10.6 or later; iTunes Store account for Home Sharing" so I assume streaming MY OWN NON-APPLE PURCHASED MOVIES is also possible.

Is this possible? If so, can you please give me some details such as the software application you would recommend, the codec/video settings/file format to convert it to, etc? I have used Handbrake in the past for short clips but never a full movie...and simply watched the converted file on my computer for testing. I would assume there are others out there like me with large dvd collections that would love to have them all stream-able and ready in an instant.

I'm using Windows XP and another Win7 box if needed.

Thanks so much in advance!
You'd be best served by using Handbrake. I'm not sure if they have added an ATV3 preset, but since you are converting DVD, it really doesn't matter since DVD is standard definition and therefore an ATV3 wouldn't exceed the handbrake ATV2 preset anyway.

Some people like to rip the DVD as an intermediate step so that the DVD rips can be loaded into handbrake as a que instead.

To be clear, ATV does not read .vob or .iso so really the best choice would be mp4/m4v.
Sedulous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:28 PM   #3
ericinboston
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedulous View Post
You'd be best served by using Handbrake. I'm not sure if they have added an ATV3 preset, but since you are converting DVD, it really doesn't matter since DVD is standard definition and therefore an ATV3 wouldn't exceed the handbrake ATV2 preset anyway.

Some people like to rip the DVD as an intermediate step so that the DVD rips can be loaded into handbrake as a que instead.

To be clear, ATV does not read .vob or .iso so really the best choice would be mp4/m4v.
Thanks for the reply...and I agree about the quality of DVD and ATV3 presets, etc. Yes, I like the middle-step of .vobs as I can always use them later for something else.

So I assume I can just load up iTunes with these Handbrake-created files and ATV3 will stream them to my tv? I hope the answer is yes.
__________________
1st computer: Apple //e 1983-1992
Now: Lenovo E430 i7, 4GB; Thinkpad W500 8gig, 128DG SSD and 500GB SATA drive; Thinkpad W520 24GB, 2 128GB SSDs, Mac Mini Core 2 3gig, 500gig
ericinboston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Old Smuggler
macrumors 6502a
 
Old Smuggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Use handbrake
Old Smuggler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Sedulous
macrumors 65816
 
Sedulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
Thanks for the reply...and I agree about the quality of DVD and ATV3 presets, etc. Yes, I like the middle-step of .vobs as I can always use them later for something else.

So I assume I can just load up iTunes with these Handbrake-created files and ATV3 will stream them to my tv? I hope the answer is yes.
Yeah, Handbrake transcodes the input media to mp4 (m4v is the same thing). Once Handbrake finishes the transcode, you may want to use a meta tagger so that the mp4/m4v gets labeled with cast, director, artwork, etc.. Then just drag it into iTunes and that is all there is to it.
Sedulous is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:05 AM   #6
dnelms
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I use MakeMKV to convert the DVD, then use Handbrake with settings close to the ATV2 preset. I use MetaX for the metadata... the Windows version has come along nicely lately. It is now 9.95 (I think), but worth every penny as I have many TV episodes to get data for as well as the movies.

Last edited by dnelms; Apr 11, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
dnelms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:46 AM   #7
iphone1105
macrumors 68000
 
iphone1105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I use RipIt to rip the DVD, then Handbrake or iVL (on the app store) IVL adds the metadata/artowrk as it converts so thats a plus. But this combo of things has never done me wrong and I get good quality rips.
__________________
Proud owner of a Mid 2013 Macbook Air
64GB iPhone 6 Plus
32GB Wifi+4G iPad 4
iphone1105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:52 AM   #8
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone1105 View Post
I use RipIt to rip the DVD, then Handbrake or iVL (on the app store) IVL adds the metadata/artowrk as it converts so thats a plus. But this combo of things has never done me wrong and I get good quality rips.
iVI (pronounced 'ivy', stands for iTunes Video Importer), not iVL. Just in case someone doesn't find it
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:09 PM   #9
iphone1105
macrumors 68000
 
iphone1105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
iVI (pronounced 'ivy', stands for iTunes Video Importer), not iVL. Just in case someone doesn't find it
Nice catch, I love the app always screw up the name. I suggested the app to a corworker and said iLV to him...i fail!
__________________
Proud owner of a Mid 2013 Macbook Air
64GB iPhone 6 Plus
32GB Wifi+4G iPad 4
iphone1105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:15 PM   #10
ericinboston
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I've been using Handbrake (latest download for Windows) for numerous Disney animated dvds and Thomas the Engine videos...the quality is very good, but not perfect or near-perfect.

I'd like to have it as close to perfect as possible. The Thomas movies clearly show horizontal lines (I forget what that is called) during most of the show. File sizes range from 1-2GB per movie and I have plenty of drive space...so converting a 4.5GB DVD movie to a 3 or 4GB file doesn't bother me if it can be done.

I've tried Apple TV2, Normal, and High Profile in the Handbrake settings and I don't see any difference other than the file sizes.

Am I looking for something that does not exist in the Apple/iTunes world of acceptable encoded files? I'm used to the audio world where there are a ton of lossless compression technologies (but none supported by Apple other than Apple's own)...I'm surprised there is no setting in Handbrake that's "lossless" or at least jumps out as being the best possible encoding that Apple/AppleTV will accept.

If you have any suggestions, can you please be explicit on where to make the settings in the software you recommend? Thanks in advance!
__________________
1st computer: Apple //e 1983-1992
Now: Lenovo E430 i7, 4GB; Thinkpad W500 8gig, 128DG SSD and 500GB SATA drive; Thinkpad W520 24GB, 2 128GB SSDs, Mac Mini Core 2 3gig, 500gig
ericinboston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:25 PM   #11
MarkG21
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
I've been using Handbrake (latest download for Windows) for numerous Disney animated dvds and Thomas the Engine videos...the quality is very good, but not perfect or near-perfect.

I'd like to have it as close to perfect as possible. The Thomas movies clearly show horizontal lines (I forget what that is called) during most of the show. File sizes range from 1-2GB per movie and I have plenty of drive space...so converting a 4.5GB DVD movie to a 3 or 4GB file doesn't bother me if it can be done.

I've tried Apple TV2, Normal, and High Profile in the Handbrake settings and I don't see any difference other than the file sizes.

Am I looking for something that does not exist in the Apple/iTunes world of acceptable encoded files? I'm used to the audio world where there are a ton of lossless compression technologies (but none supported by Apple other than Apple's own)...I'm surprised there is no setting in Handbrake that's "lossless" or at least jumps out as being the best possible encoding that Apple/AppleTV will accept.

If you have any suggestions, can you please be explicit on where to make the settings in the software you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Try changing the RF settings lower. Maybe 19 or 18.
MarkG21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:51 AM   #12
erpetao
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
I'd like to have it as close to perfect as possible. The Thomas movies clearly show horizontal lines (I forget what that is called) during most of the show.
What you are seeing is interlaced content. Add a deinterlace filter and you are good to go.

More info here:

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DeinterlacingGuide
erpetao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:27 AM   #13
rpenzinger
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Best Workflow

Here is my workflow. It is rock solid and allows you to stack DVDs for overnight processing.

RipIt (Little App Factory) to rip DVDs (makes unprotected copy of disk)
Handbrake to convert (using ATV 2 settings) you can stack a bunch into the queue
Identify 2 to add metadata
Add to iTunes
Play on ATV

sorry this is a Mac workflow

Last edited by rpenzinger; Apr 11, 2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: missed info
rpenzinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:09 PM   #14
ericinboston
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Setting the Decomb feature to Default did the trick.

It seems the interlacing is only occurring on a particular line of dvds I have. It's not all animated/CGI children's dvds.

Do you think I should leave the Decomb feature enabled for all conversions?...or just case-by-case? Any risk in using it 100% the time on all conversions?
__________________
1st computer: Apple //e 1983-1992
Now: Lenovo E430 i7, 4GB; Thinkpad W500 8gig, 128DG SSD and 500GB SATA drive; Thinkpad W520 24GB, 2 128GB SSDs, Mac Mini Core 2 3gig, 500gig
ericinboston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:14 PM   #15
mic j
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
Setting the Decomb feature to Default did the trick.

It seems the interlacing is only occurring on a particular line of dvds I have. It's not all animated/CGI children's dvds.

Do you think I should leave the Decomb feature enabled for all conversions?...or just case-by-case? Any risk in using it 100% the time on all conversions?
You can leave it at default all the time. Only kicks in when needed.
__________________
17" MBP '09, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; 13" MBP (Retina) '12, 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM; iPad 2, 32GB; iPhone 5s; AE; AppleTV 3; AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:50 PM   #16
dynaflash
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
Setting the Decomb feature to Default did the trick.

It seems the interlacing is only occurring on a particular line of dvds I have. It's not all animated/CGI children's dvds.

Do you think I should leave the Decomb feature enabled for all conversions?...or just case-by-case? Any risk in using it 100% the time on all conversions?
No risk in leaving it on all of the time. It will be default in fact on the next release. Decomb ftw.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:46 PM   #17
marzer
macrumors 65816
 
marzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado
When I initially converted my DVD collection a few years back, I picked up a couple cheap external DVD drives (about $40 bucks each off the internet, sure they're cheaper now) for a total of three drives counting the internal on the iMac.

Using Handbrake I queued up three rips at a time. Took no more than a week or so to do about 200 DVD rips. Of course, now with my Core i7, I could probably do them all in a weekend!

After the initial effort was all done I sold the extra drives on eBay.

Oh and as stated above - turn on Decomb! Its a PITA to realize afterwards you have to re-rip a set of videos. I add it to my default rip profile.
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:34 PM   #18
murdoc158
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Bend, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
iVI (pronounced 'ivy', stands for iTunes Video Importer), not iVL. Just in case someone doesn't find it
There needs to be a Windows version of this app. I'd rather not use my Macbook to convert videos when my desktop gaming rig is sitting unused most of the day.
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2012 2.7GHz i7, 8GB DDR3, 480GB Samsung SSD
iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey 64GB
TV3
murdoc158 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:48 PM   #19
jupiterjones
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia
Check out the thread:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=805573

Although it's driven by Automator so you'd need a Mac to make full use of it, you should be able to get all the info you need to convert your collection in the most useful way.

I spent a year converting my collection and the most painful part was adding good metadata so everything showed up in iTunes and AppleTV exactly where I wanted it.

I'm about to use the tools and info in that thread to setup automated ripping and tagging for any new DVD/BD I happen to come by If you've got a large collection, or just TV Show seasons, then a good workflow is really important to make sure you get what you need.

Good luck.
jupiterjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AppleTV newbie question logansmullet Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Dec 28, 2013 10:52 AM
How big was your DVD collection and how long did it take to rip and convert for ATV? elfy Apple TV and Home Theater 26 Jul 16, 2013 04:47 AM
Post Your DVD Collection! tekkifi Picture Gallery 13 Jul 2, 2013 10:03 AM
Newbie question re Compressor: best settings to fill a DVD sunandsurf Digital Video 0 Dec 15, 2012 02:12 AM
App to scan dvd collection ROADDOG01 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 14 Jul 22, 2012 04:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC