Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has started sending out emails to Australian customers who may have been misled about the advertised "4G" capabilities of the new iPad.

Apple explains in the email that the new iPad is not compatible with Australian LTE or WiMAX networks, but does support "fast cellular networks" such as HSPA, HSPA+, and DC-HSDPA

ipadrefund.png

The offer for returns is a response to complaints by Australian regulators that Apple's use of the term "4G" in its Australian marketing may have misled some customers into thinking that the new iPad would work on Australian LTE/WiMAX networks.

Apple is allowing Australians who purchased the new iPad before March 28th to return it for a full refund.

Article Link: Apple Sends Out Refund Information to Australian iPad Customers

bsainsbury

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
I'd really like to see how many people actually return it. I don't think it's a big deal.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'd really like to see how many people actually return it. I don't think it's a big deal.

That’s my first reaction too; I’d be disappointed, but I certainly wouldn’t want something else instead of my iPad!

But there IS something else they might well want instead, if HSPA isn’t fast enough to be useful: they might want a cheaper WiFi model iPad.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
A good outcome. Consumers are informed, and can make the choice based on correct information.

But there IS something else they might well want instead, if HSPA isn’t fast enough to be useful: they might want a cheaper WiFi model iPad.

Exactly!

Yup. Sure, having LTE misrepresented was kind of ****house, but going through all that trouble just to return a product that otherwise works is good and well bloody hard yakka. I've got better things to do this arvo.

Still think they're a bunch of dags, though.

Onya! ;)

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple should also send out an apology on behalf of Canadian telco's who do not allow you to buy prepaid LTE via the iPad. There was no warning that in Canada, you are forced to submit to a credit check and call or visit a service provider store to subscribe to a monthly plan. LTE is also turned off by default on Rogers plans so you must explicitly request that LTE be turned on or you'll only get 3G speeds.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Apple should also send out an apology on behalf of Canadian telco's who do not allow you to buy prepaid LTE via the iPad. There was no warning that in Canada, you are forced to submit to a credit check and call or visit a service provider store to subscribe to a monthly plan. LTE is also turned off by default on Rogers plans so you must explicitly request that LTE be turned on or you'll only get 3G speeds.

The iPad 4G will work in Canada and the problem is with the Canadian Telcos.
It sounds like the Canadian telcos should do the apologizing.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
Apple doesn't give a ******* about non-north-america customers... This is starting to get me sad.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
reminds of me of the iphone 4 song, "if you dont like it.. bring it back... bring it back... .. bring it back .. *whispers* but you know you wont"

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
I've said it once and I'll say it again....BUNCH OF CRYING SISSIES!! Give them a pacifier while they wait for their refund!!!!

Telstra

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
Even without LTE @ 1800 MHz being supported, Australia's leading network still does pretty well with 3G.

Downstream: 22.90 Mbps
Upstream: 3.61 Mbps
Ping: 132 ms

Speed test:

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
It isn't about that it wasn't 4G, it is that the adverts were "misleading"

really it is just about laziness not havming more region specific specs on various sites.

Apple should be told to sharpen up on this.

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
We will get more responses on this thread that there will be iPad returns in Aus.

Telstra - Could not have said it better myself. I also get around 18-21Mbps at various locations around Adelaide.

BUT, having said that, I agree with what has happened, you cannot advertise like that, even if un-intentional, it had to be corrected and has, All good. Now we can all say 'yeah thats justice' and keep our iPads.

Teeps

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
I think the important thing here isn't that people will return their iPads for a refund, it's that Apple (or any other company) should NEVER advertise a product as having features when it will not work with the systems available in that market. Fine, say it's 4G capable within North America, and make it very clear that this is the case, but don't sell a product as being 4G in other markets without making it obvious that it won't work anywhere but North America.

If a company advertised and sold a product in USA without making it very clear it wouldn't work in that market could you imagine the whinging we'd hear then!?

I bought my iPad knowing what I was buying (and we don't have LTE here in New Zealand) but the lack of clarity is designed to confuse and drive sales which is very wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.