Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I always thought it was AT&T, but I hear Cingular owns it. I don't believe that, because I thought it was the other way around - AT&T owns Cingular.

Is there more than one owner, as is the case with Verizon Wireless, which is owned by Verizon & Vodafone?

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
AT&T owns it. The entity that is currently AT&T was formed (re-formed) by a merger of SBC and Bellsouth. Cingular was a joint venture between SBC and Bellsouth, and thus was folded into AT&T as AT&T Wireless.

From Wikipedia:

On Friday December 29, 2006, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approved the new AT&T's acquisition of a regional Bell Operating Company, BellSouth, valued at approximately $86 billion (or 1.325 shares of AT&T for each share of BellSouth at the close of trading December 29, 2006).[12] The new combined company retained the name AT&T.[13] The deal consolidated ownership of both Cingular Wireless and Yellowpages.com, once joint ventures between BellSouth and AT&T. All services, including wireless, became offered under the AT&T name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At&t

bestsources

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Who Owns AT&T

ATTENTION HERE PLEASE:

AT&T is own by Nasser Al-Kharafi (middle east in Kuwait), with operations in Canada and USA.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I own AT&T.

Stock, that is.

All you suckers are paying me through the juicy 5.4% dividend yield :p

-t

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.