Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPad-Mini-comparison-t.jpg
As noted by The Tech Block and The Next Web, during his Talk Show podcast with Dan Benjamin, DaringFireball's John Gruber offered up some additional confirmation of the existence of a 7.85" iPad. Gruber reports that he has been told by "numerous" people that this size iPad is something Apple has been "noodling with".

When asked by Benjamin if he thought a 7.85" iPad would ever be released, Gruber responded (at ~1hr 19min):
"Well, I don't know. What I do know is that they have one in the lab...a 7.85 inch iPad that runs at 1024×768... it's just like the 9.7" iPad shrunk down a little bit. Apps wouldn't need to be recompiled or redesigned to work optimally on it. It's just the iPad smaller.
Gruber has offered accurate information in the past and seems to have many contacts with Apple. Gruber does point out that Apple has many prototype products that never make it to market, and reminds us that Steve Jobs once said that he's was as proud of the products that Apple hasn't done as the ones they have.

It has been clear to us that a 7.85" iPad has been in late prototyping stages. Reports have been coming from the Chinese supply chain about such a device for months. This indicates that Apple isn't just toying around the the form factor in their labs in Cupertino, but is also working with supplies on possible production. As Gruber said, this still isn't a sign that Apple will necessarily release such a device.

The reason why a 7.85" screen might make sense for a new iPad has been detailed in the past, and we have a paper mockup that can be printed out to compare its size to a 9.7" iPad.

Article Link: Apple Does Have a 7.85″ iPad in their Labs

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The iPad mini....I like the concept. It's not something I would buy, but for those on a budget, or who want an ultra portable IOS device that's got a better screen than the iPhone, I think it's a great concept. Being on paper however does not equate to production.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
These 'rumors' are getting tiresome now.

With all the rumors on this forum lately of 7.8" devices, 5" devices, 4.5" phones, 4" phones....

I'm starting to think Samsung have taken over Apple's design HQ. :rolleyes: :(

I'm still very skeptical, especially with Apple's decision to keep the iPad 2 and reducing it to $399. Where exactly would a 7.8" fit in the scheme of things. But time will tell.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Not surprising. Steve Jobs said Apple tested 7" variants back during the iPad 1 release.

people always say this. but this is different. I'm sure they tested 5" and 12" inch sizes too in their labs, but they aren't exploring mass producing those sizes (like they are for the 7.85")

arn

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
These 'rumors' are getting tiresome now.

With all the rumors on this forum lately of 7.8" devices, 5" devices, 4.5" phones, 4" phones....

I'm starting to think Samsung have taken over Apple's design HQ. :rolleyes: :(

I'm still very skeptical, especially with Apple's decision to keep the iPad 2 and reducing it to $399. Where exactly would a 7.8" fit in the scheme of things. But time will tell.

It's like that for ages now but people coming back .. so ... ;)

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
people always say this. but this is different. I'm sure they tested 5" and 12" inch sizes too in their labs, but they aren't exploring mass producing those sizes (like they are for the 7.85")

arn

True enough. I just meant I'm not surprised they are working on one. You are right that the surprising part is that they are now considering mass production.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
I do really believe this will be a good idea. Choosing between iPad '3' and iPad 2 might not be as easy as choosing between an iPhone 4 and 4S. At 1024 x 768 pixels, a smaller iPad will inevitably have a better display quality, comparable, if not as good as the new iPad's Retina Display.

Apple's bill of materials will go down for the size and they'll be able to keep it at a lower price point. Developers won't need to remake their apps. Customers will have a clear choice to what they want.

Everybody wins.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I can see a market for this the price would have to be right... 299? Wifi only? 1 storage 16gb? I Think if would be a great iPad while at the same time offering some things the current iPad can't, weight, price, battery life (no retina, new battery tech) would kill the kindle fire over night IF the price is competitive with it.

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
They'll start next year. Theyll put the guts of a 2 (dual core) in the mini version, have the current new iPad as the discounted "full" iPad experience and the next generation at the flagship (ie full price) level. This will allow for tiered pricing and squeezing life out of old components.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Also needed is a smaller MacBook Air, 400 to 600 g weight. Not for heavy work, but great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket, bag or purse. Always.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
when you listen to the actual podcast, gruber's recollection of the "7.85" number seems suspect. he misspeaks little details like this all the time; he even refers to instagram as "instapaper" in this very episode (twice!). i'm not doubting that there's a 7" ipad out there; i'm just doubting the number is exactly 7.85" (why go two decimal places?).

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
when you listen to the actual podcast, gruber's recollection of the "7.85" number seems suspect. he misspeaks little details like this all the time; he even refers to instagram as "instapaper" in this very episode (twice!). i'm not doubting that there's a 7" ipad out there; i'm just doubting the number is exactly 7.85" (why go two decimal places?).

this explains why it has to be 7.85":

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/27/why-a-7-85-screen-for-the-rumored-ipad-mini-makes-sense/

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I can see a market for this the price would have to be right... 299? Wifi only? 1 storage 16gb? I Think if would be a great iPad while at the same time offering some things the current iPad can't, weight, price, battery life (no retina, new battery tech) would kill the kindle fire over night IF the price is competitive with it.

I agree but what about the iPod touch? I'm thinking Apple would have to kill it off. Maybe thats why they put zero effort into last years model. A $199 8 gig touch makes no sense.

M1chbeck

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
maybe the size restricts the battery too much.
The device would not last as long as they'd hope, which is negativ on the UX.
just my thoughts

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
Don't like it don't buy it.
But I will be buying a few.
Also those are the ones I will be pushing in our schools for IPAD labs.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK

Because 7.85" has the original iPhone pixel density, and it rounds out to 8" rather than 7".

I don't think the two decimal place number is where the doubt lies in this story.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.

arn

I wish they would do a 12" that would be brilliant, although I am sure that Apple of all companies will make the one that 'works' when they prototype and test it.

thegreypatch

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2012
iPad has had its time over the last Month, when is there more news about the new Macbook Pro coming out?... seems to be nothing but gibberish the last 4 or 5 posts, who cares is 1/3 of school kids in the US have iPhone.. WOW will sleep better tonight.

USELESS.. get INFO on REAL Products not some Kindle Fire crap that wont be here until abother 8-9 months or something.. we want to now the news on stuff thats up and coming within the next month or 2!!!:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.