Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilmor42

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
UK
hello, i have a rev b (i think) powerbook with a matsumi 2x DVD burner...
i've had the machine for about a year now and it reads CD's, DVD's and burns CD's fine but now when i insert a blank DVD it just spins and throws it back out.. which is extremely gay..

i've burnt about 10 DVD's if even that in its entire lifetime and i cant think of why its not working and it's starting to get on my nerves..

what can i do? anyone experieced this?

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
wilmor42 said:
hello, i have a rev b (i think) powerbook with a matsumi 2x DVD burner...
i've had the machine for about a year now and it reads CD's, DVD's and burns CD's fine but now when i insert a blank DVD it just spins and throws it back out.. which is extremely gay..

i've burnt about 10 DVD's if even that in its entire lifetime and i cant think of why its not working and it's starting to get on my nerves..

what can i do? anyone experieced this?

I didn't know DVD burners had genetalia... :confused: How can it be gay?

As for your problem, sorry, I have no clue.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Is it the same brand of DVDs as you used successfully before? If so, I'm stumped.

If not, is it the same quality? Cheap, generic stuff is more likely to throw up errors than branded media. Can it only burn at higher speeds? Does it specifically say that it does 2x-8x or whatever?

I'm using a rev A Powerbook and can burn fine with Sony DVDs

wilmor42

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
UK
stridey- you're real funny

applespider- yeah they're the same DVD's i've been using all along..they're datawrite red V3 general purpose 4xDVD-R's.. i'm pretty stumped too

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Agreed. If you want help, I think it would be appropriate to try not to go out of your way to be offensive in your posts. Macrumors has lots of different people, from lots of different places and backgrounds, and they don't all think like you, nor do they want to.

But, on the main topic, what is your setting in System Preferences for what the OS does when you insert a blank DVD?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Quote:
Originally Posted by stridey
Sorry, but the slang upsets me. Gay is not an insult.

Agreed!

I second that. "Gay" really needs to die out as a hip term. It's gone from VT, but i still hear it in more urban areas like NJ frequently. It's really polinco.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
stridey said:
Sorry, but the slang upsets me. Gay is not an insult.
I am offended whenever someone says "Jesus Christ" as an exclamation or in derogatory remarks, but I don't pick at them or call them out. I know that they really don't mean harm by it and I am being tolerant of their upbringing, social habits, and manerisms.

Besides, it is not his communication methods that are in question here. He needs help with his superdrive.

Link I found:
http://macusersforum.com/lofiversion/index.php?t5897.html
not much there, but it's all i have.

Do you have applecare? Have you tried apple support forums?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
On my Powermac G5, I replaced my "Jerk" 4x Burner that I replaced for a 16x. The 16x Drive always has a beachball when I try to eject it. Also the drive door gets stuck now. I hope I can swap the the old drive back but the special firmware stuff I did may not allow me to go back anymore. My system is crippled now.

wilmor42

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
UK
in no way whatsoever was my use of the word 'gay' offensive at all to anyone, and if it was then read my post again please..it was an expression about my superdrive not working-i was reffering to a piece of computer hardware and thats it.. i wasnt targeting anyone, or groups or whatever.. if anything it's me thats getting attacked for using a word thats used millions of times to describe many things and thats petty.. its not worth spending your time on in all honesty.. i dont want to go on.

in the english language (and where im from) 'gay' means the same as 'queer' which is another word for WIERD
so read my post again and it translates as ' which is quite wierd '
thats right folks-around here gay also means wierd
so get your facts straight first please..

tuartboy-thanks, the page was useful, i'll try a few of the options..

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
wilmor42 said:
in no way whatsoever was my use of the word 'gay' offensive at all to anyone, and if it was then read my post again please..it was an expression about my superdrive not working-i was reffering to a piece of computer hardware and thats it.. i wasnt targeting anyone, or groups or whatever.. if anything it's me thats getting attacked for using a word thats used millions of times to describe many things and thats petty.. its not worth spending your time on in all honesty.. i dont want to go on.

in the english language (and where im from) 'gay' means the same as 'queer' which is another word for WIERD
so read my post again and it translates as ' which is quite wierd '
thats right folks-around here gay also means wierd
so get your facts straight first please..

tuartboy-thanks, the page was useful, i'll try a few of the options..

Hey, I'm not attacking you, I'm just trying to point out that the use of gay in that way is IMO not OK. I point it out to everybody I hear using it (many people), the same way that I point out that using "gyped" is not OK.

wilmor42

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
UK
ok fair enough mate, point taken

we're all friends-could be worse, we could all be on pc's :D

night all im going to bed.. its 2 in the morning and its time for sleep

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2005
Datawrite red V3 are not very good disks at all. This may be your problem.

Try RITEK die disks or Verbatims. It's more than likely a media problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.