Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Walter Isaacson Says Jobs' Rage Over Android Was Real

Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson says Jobs' anger over Android was real and not "for show" as alleged by Google's Larry Page in an interview this week. Macworld UK attended a lecture Isaacson gave at the Royal Institution and the biographer said that Jobs felt Android's similarity to iOS was "history repeating itself", and compared it to Jobs' feeling that Microsoft's Windows was a rip-off of the Macintosh.

Quote:
He did the integrated system again, iPod, iPad, and it worked, "but what happens? Google rips it off".

Isaacson continued: "It's almost copied verbatim by Android. And then they licence it around promiscuously. And then Android starts surpassing Apple in market share, and this totally infuriated him. It wasn't a matter of money. He said: 'You can't pay me off, I'm here to destroy you'."
Isaacson went on to say that he believes that Tim Cook will handle things differently and "will settle that lawsuit." Apple is currently involved in a number of lawsuits over Android with manufacturers around the world.

Article Link: Walter Isaacson Says Jobs' Rage Over Android Was Real
MacRumors is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:15 PM   #2
pooprscooper
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Jobs felt Android's similarity to iOS was "history repeating itself", and compared it to Jobs' feeling that Microsoft's Windows was a rip-off of the Macintosh.
Which it was.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Ca$hflow
macrumors 6502

This really had more truth then Larry's truth. I would also like to ad that Steve Jobs motivation isn't money, it's more of how he can change the world in a simplistic style.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:17 PM   #4
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Well, of course it was real. Page seems to be thinking that just because Jobs agreed to be his mentor that everything was alright between Apple and Google. In fact Jobs was most furious at Schmidt, for doing what he did - being on Apple's board, learning about the iPhone project and then using that info to modify Android based on iOS and launching a competing product.

That would be a dick move by anyone's standards, not just Jobs' or Schmidt's. Jobs is perfectly justified in being enraged by it, especially since it is "a history repeating itself".

Last edited by gorskiegangsta; Apr 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
gorskiegangsta is offline   65 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:17 PM   #5
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Jobs was the wealth creator, and now Cook will act as the wealth keeper.
As much as I would like Cook to go on with the thermonuclear war on Android, with his role as wealth keeper he will likely settle and make compromises.

But part of me continues to think that it would be fun to see Jobs truly try to destroy the Android platform with Apple's cash.
darkslide29 is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:18 PM   #6
applesith
macrumors 68000

Larry Page, Mat Cutts and all of them are full of it. They always make stuff up or outright lie when when they talk about Google. Ever listen to Mat's search related statements for Google? He just lies.

Hey Larry, why wait until Steve is dead to talk about this?
applesith is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:18 PM   #7
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
It wasn't a matter of money. He said: 'You can't pay me off, I'm here to destroy you'."
Maybe Larry Ellison and Oracle have taken over that responsibility.
SockRolid is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Reeebo
macrumors newbie

Hearsay >.>
Reeebo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:20 PM   #9
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
We can file this under the "no ****, Sherlock" heading.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:22 PM   #10
iDisk
macrumors 6502a

Tim Cook

Apple's soon to be problem appears to be Tim Cook.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jobs gave Apple a vision to carry for 5 years.

Part of that vision was to destroy Google's Andriod OS. Cook seems to not share what Steve wanted Apple to continue with.

I wonder if a person like Forstall might have been more of the right choice for Apple, if he was more seasoned.

I hope Cook isn't the 21st centurey Sculley, with his "play nice mentality". Apple can't afford that a 2nd time around. Cause their won't be a 3rd Coming of Jobs to the rescue.
"Where there is no vision the people perish:"- Proverbs 29:18
iDisk is offline   -11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:22 PM   #11
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

The Anger was never quenched,
Never satiated, It could not be tamed,
For It was deeply entrenched,
Real and, like fire's flame, could not be blamed,
For the Wrath was full on, never to mend,
Full on, to the end.

Yes, thank you. Thank you. No, I know. I should have become a poet.
RoboCop001 is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:23 PM   #12
SirYossi
macrumors regular

Cook is making a big mistake by appeasing Android. Bury Android once and for all. BUt in the end Android will fall the way of IBM to many hands in the pot and the implode on itself. Main reason why i do not use google is that is sucks so bad. Google might be open source but they get their money by scamming others and spamming them with adds!

----------

Maybe Apple buy Google and thus no more issues!
SirYossi is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:24 PM   #13
gpat
macrumors 6502a

You simply can't destroy Android. Google is a bigger reality than Apple, and is backed by every OEM except Apple itself. It has the patents of Motorola, which kind of invented the mobile phone, and makes money off every smartphone, including, and especially, the iPhone.

Tim did the right thing over there, accepting Android and making money from it. Steve was a genius, but his mentality was simply too closed sometimes.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:25 PM   #14
SirYossi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDisk View Post
Apple's soon to be problem appears to be Tim Cook.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jobs gave Apple a vision to carry for 5 years.

Part of that vision was to destroy Google's Andriod OS. Cook seems to not share what Steve wanted Apple to continue with.

I wonder if a person like Forstall might have been more of the right choice for Apple, if he was more seasoned.

I hope Cook isn't the 21st centurey Sculley, with his "play nice mentality"
The makers of android and google do not play nice so why play nice back - either destroy them or buy them out end of story
SirYossi is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:26 PM   #15
iDisk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirYossi View Post
Cook is making a big mistake by appeasing Android. Bury Android once and for all. BUt in the end Android will fall the way of IBM to many hands in the pot and the implode on itself. Main reason why i do not use google is that is sucks so bad. Google might be open source but they get their money by scamming others and spamming them with adds!

----------

Maybe Apple buy Google and thus no more issues!
I agree, Cook is slowly showing that he doesn't view Apple the way steve did. Actions speak louder then words.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirYossi View Post
The makers of android and google do not play nice so why play nice back - either destroy them or buy them out end of story
if they buy them out, they should shut them down, after acquistion.
"Where there is no vision the people perish:"- Proverbs 29:18
iDisk is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:26 PM   #16
WAM2
macrumors 6502a

The one thing android just can't do right, is have a smooth OS like iOS, barely any freezes in graphics, 60fps, just smooth. The day that android accomplishes that, apple will destroy them.
iPhone 6+ Space Grey AT&T 128GB
WAM2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:28 PM   #17
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Did Jobs really believe that he would own 100% of the market and no one else would come up with a touch screen phone? I mean if it hadn't been Google with Android someone else would have jumped into the market with a competing product.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:30 PM   #18
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM2 View Post
The one thing android just can't do right, is have a smooth OS like iOS, barely any freezes in graphics, 60fps, just smooth. The day that android accomplishes that, apple will destroy them.
You are confused.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:30 PM   #19
Doc750
macrumors 6502a

Tim cook is Judas, Brute, and Benedict Arnold rolled into one ...
Doc750 is offline   -16 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:30 PM   #20
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Some people are very passionate about their work.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:31 PM   #21
nagromme
macrumors G5

But... what if Isaacsons’s insistence that Job’s rage was real is mostly for show?
nagromme is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:31 PM   #22
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGuy View Post
Did Jobs really believe that he would own 100% of the market and no one else would come up with a touch screen phone? I mean if it hadn't been Google with Android someone else would have jumped into the market with a competing product.
Microsoft and Nokia had them first.

Steve was just pissed off that Android did it better
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:34 PM   #23
dgree03
macrumors 65816

So F'in what!? Not even Steve Jobs himself provides specific examples of how google "stole" ideas from Apple.

So what did they steal?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:34 PM   #24
WAM2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
You are confused.
Not confused. Use any android phone with an iPhone 4s, heck even a 3gs or 4, and put them side by side then swipe to the side, I Can Guarantee you that the android phone is going to have some kind of lag,freeze,low fps, or something, iOS is just so refined that its a joy to use.

(Yes, I Am aware google makes android, I Personally despise google, their privacy policy is so disgraceful When I Owned an Android phone I just didn't feel safe. Now I'm on an iPhone 4.)
iPhone 6+ Space Grey AT&T 128GB
WAM2 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:35 PM   #25
Asclepio
macrumors 6502

jobs was a hater.
Asclepio is offline   -21 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion