Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:20 AM   #51
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deceptor View Post
This seems like more of a 'i eat at expensive restaurants and want to show off' thread.

This is macrumors... Not foodrumors
Well I've had great food for free at a back yard barbecue also. But if you're going to to eat somewhere which has excellent food prepared by a professional chef its going to cost a little more than a trip to McDonalds. If you know a molecular gastronomy place on a pizza budget we're all ears.
obeygiant is online now   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:01 AM   #52
artgalgenius
macrumors member

My favorite cities for food are Bologna, Osaka, and Los Angeles.
Bologna has the best tasting meat I've had, mainly due to how obsessive they are with the diet they feed the animals.

Osaka is often referred to as the "the kitchen of Japan." I tried to do Kuidaore where you go down all the food stands at night and "eat 'till you drop." I didn't last long but it was fun to see how vibrant and noisy it gets at night. Osaka is also the first time I finally got to try okonomiyaki- a cabbage and batter pancake served with a variety of toppings and best accompanied by beer.

Los Angeles has a great variety of cuisines. Unfortunately it can be hard to find the quality places. All the Asian cuisines are well represented-Chinese in the San Gabriel valley, Korean near downtown, and Japanese and Vietnamese to the south. Of course there are the food trucks which are very social and a lot of fun. It's created a situation where people of a variety of cultures are trying each others cuisine.
artgalgenius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:01 AM   #53
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Any more recommendations from anyone?
Alinea, of course
b24pgg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:22 AM   #54
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

San Francisco may be my #1 because the seafood is incredibly fresh. Close to that or even tied is Chicago. I've never been to NYC so I can't say even though it's probably cliche. Santa Barbara and Morro Bay have some great eats as does San Diego. I haven't found too many places (maybe 2) around the RTP that I'd miss if I didn't live here.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:13 AM   #55
snberk103
macrumors 603

This isn't actually typical for Vancouver, but ..... it now has the $100 hotdog.

For my money, I'd rather get seafood in Vancouver. If you choose wisely it will be sustainable harvested, and local.

The store I buy my fish from will tell you the name of fisher who caught it, and where it was caught, if you ask. Many good seafood restaurants in Vancouver have the same relationship with their fish suppliers too. You don't get fresher than that, eh?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:32 AM   #56
"GLC"
macrumors newbie

1. San Francisco
2. NYC
3. Chicago
4. New Orleans
"GLC" is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:32 AM   #57
acidfast7
Banned

LUX - Stockholm

one star

and in an old Electrolux (one of Sweden's largest companies) factory

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...taurangLux.JPG

http://luxstockholm.com/en/menyer/sa...season-dinner/

they have their own cow for raw milk as well. and the view is stunning.

http://blog.visitstockholm.com/10-fa...stockholm-3090

it's kinda pricey (as is the entire city), but one can sneak in a lunch usually for under 20 USD, which is quite nice

acidfast7 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion