Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
bobsbarricades
macrumors regular

The Witcher:Enhanced Edition on MAC!

Guys this game is one of my favorites. It's a steamplay title now which means you can buy it once and have it on mac or pc (for those that don't know). Not on my mac so don't know if it's in the app store or not but I can't recommend this game enough.

Strange the timing with Baldurs Gate's EE but hot dog....The Witcher on Mac. cool
bobsbarricades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 06:25 AM   #2
kk1ro
macrumors regular

I really want to buy this, but I'm not sure if this is a native port or if it's just running on a compatibility layer (Cider).
I have a late-2011 MBP, so I should be able to run the game either way, but I'd really like to know for sure if it's running natively.
kk1ro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Liddle
macrumors newbie

It's a Wineskin port and quite playable on my Macbook Air 2011
Liddle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:04 PM   #4
bushidounohana
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddle View Post
It's a Wineskin port and quite playable on my Macbook Air 2011
Thinking about buying this to play between my maxed out iMac and my 2010 MacBook Air--what settings are you able to play the game at on your 2011 Air?

Thank you!
bushidounohana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Liddle
macrumors newbie

Well, 1366x768 and 2x Anisoptry, all other things are set to low

It becomes choppy in large areas, but i think it's a problem with my RAM & VRAM (2GB RAM total, 288MB is shared with Intel HD 3000). In interiors however it's like +60fps.

But what i like about the game is, it's doesn't require Steam to play except for the first time run. Afterwards moved it to my Apps folder, i really don't want to run Steam considering my limited performance.

Last edited by Liddle; Apr 9, 2012 at 03:27 AM.
Liddle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:59 AM   #6
bushidounohana
macrumors member

Quote:
Well, 1366x768 and 2x Anisoptry, all other things are set to low

It becomes choppy in large areas, but i think it's a problem with my RAM & VRAM (2GB RAM total, 288MB is shared with Intel HD 3000). In interiors however it's like +60fps.

But what i like about the game is, it's doesn't require Steam to play except for the first time run. Afterwards moved it to my Apps folder, i really don't want to run Steam considering my limited performance.
Thanks! I'll have to give it a whirl and report back on how it runs on a maxed out 2010.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:47 PM   #7
bushidounohana
macrumors member

Update: I'm pleasantly surprised by the performance on my 2010 MacBook Air (2.13 GHz, 4GB RAM, nVidia 320M)! The game runs pretty respectfully at native res (1440x900) with Lighting, Textures, and Shadows set to Medium while everything else is set to low. I've only just arrived at Vizima and have just met with the Reverend so it may get more demanding from here on out, but thus far I've noticed very little in the way of stutters or slow down.

Hope that helps somebody out there!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:23 AM   #8
Liddle
macrumors newbie

I didn't know HD 3000 was "that" bad compared to GT320m. Glad to hear that is working fine with yours.

Also, i've heard the current wrapper uses an old version of Wine, updating it "significantly" increases performance.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum/...5&#entry409385
Liddle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:05 PM   #9
bushidounohana
macrumors member

Quote:
I didn't know HD 3000 was "that" bad compared to GT320m. Glad to hear that is working fine with yours.

Also, i've heard the current wrapper uses an old version of Wine, updating it "significantly" increases performance.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum/...5&#entry409385
Interesting ... Thanks for the link. I thought I had read something like this, I'll update the wrapper and then report back!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:19 AM   #10
bushidounohana
macrumors member

I don't know if upgrading the engine was a "significant" improvement, though it has probably added a few frames per second. I also updated the wrapper with doh123's 2.5.5 beta release, which seemed to help squeeze a few more frames out as well.

All said and done, it's running pretty well for me with the following settings:

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Anisotropic Filtering: 1x
Lighting Quality: Medium
Texture Quality: Medium
Shadow Quality: Medium
Grass Quality: Low
Decals fade: Short
Depth of Field: On
Visibility Range: Near
Small Animals Number: Few

Every now again there might be a hitch in the getty-up, but nothing that's ever hindered my gameplay. Of course, mileage may vary, but I've found grass quality and shadow quality to be items that might be catalysts for performance if you're trying to squeeze out some additional FPS.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:31 AM   #11
bushidounohana
macrumors member

Anybody know where the saved game files are stored? I'm tearing my hair out trying to find them--they don't seem to be in the wrapper anywhere?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:10 PM   #12
wagraham
macrumors newbie

Do you guys think it would run on my 9400m? I have 4 gigs of ram and 2.53 Ghz processor? I don't mind running it on the lowest settings. Thanks a bunch!
wagraham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:57 PM   #13
bushidounohana
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagraham View Post
Do you guys think it would run on my 9400m? I have 4 gigs of ram and 2.53 Ghz processor? I don't mind running it on the lowest settings. Thanks a bunch!
Good question--Tough to say, Steam lists the minimum requirements as follows:

Graphics card nVidia GeForce 320M (or better), AMD Radeon HD 6750M (or better) or Intel HD Graphics 3000

With that said, I don't think Steam would support the game running on the 9400M. The "unofficial" port on The Porting Team's website also seems to allude to even higher requirements, so officially I'd advise against it.

That said, I have a Mac Mini at work equipped with a 9400m and I'd be happy to check it out ... though it'll be a few days before I get a shot at it (if someone doesn't beat me to it!).
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:00 PM   #14
wagraham
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushidounohana View Post
Good question--Tough to say, Steam lists the minimum requirements as follows:

Graphics card nVidia GeForce 320M (or better), AMD Radeon HD 6750M (or better) or Intel HD Graphics 3000

With that said, I don't think Steam would support the game running on the 9400M. The "unofficial" port on The Porting Team's website also seems to allude to even higher requirements, so officially I'd advise against it.

That said, I have a Mac Mini at work equipped with a 9400m and I'd be happy to check it out ... though it'll be a few days before I get a shot at it (if someone doesn't beat me to it!).
If you could do that, I'd really appreciate it.
wagraham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:04 PM   #15
bushidounohana
macrumors member

Quote:
Sorry--I haven't forgotten about you, just ran into some problems bringing the Mini home and getting it hooked up! Brought it home this weekend and forgot the Mini Display Port to DVI adapater ... Stay tuned!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:45 PM   #16
bushidounohana
macrumors member

Quote:
Okay--with the upgraded wrapper and engine (2.5.5 and 1.5.0), I was able to eek out somewhat playable performance on my 2.0GHz Mac Mini with a NVIDIA 9400m and 4GB RAM, all settings on low with a resolution of 1920x1080. There were hiccups and stutters that ranged from "mildly annoying" to "I want to turn this off, now!", and I personally wouldn't continue playing the game on said setup.

THAT SAID ...

There are obviously a couple bottlenecks on my system--the processor and the resolution (I didn't have the time to test lower resolutions, just ran it at the default), so with your faster processor and a lower resolution setting you just might be able to have a playable experience (use at your own risk!).

I can't speak to how the default wrapper that Steam gives you will work, though in my experience it seems to perform more slowly. I'd strongly recommend updating if you have the know-how!

Hopefully that helps!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:44 PM   #17
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502

I am bumping this since its currently on sale on Steam, Mac and PC for 1.99. The sale ends in about 7 hours.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKemp View Post
I am bumping this since its currently on sale on Steam, Mac and PC for 1.99. The sale ends in about 7 hours.
Yep, just bought it with some spare change...any reports on its stability? I've heard complaints about constant crashes.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:51 AM   #19
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
Yep, just bought it with some spare change...any reports on its stability? I've heard complaints about constant crashes.
I haven't tried it yet, but I was hoping that since it's been out for so long, those problems had been fixed? Somebody who's been playing the game has to report back
Old Aug 8, 2012, 02:03 PM   #20
pgharavi
macrumors regular

I just got a Retina MBP. I own and downloaded The Witcher EE, but all I get is a black screen

I can hear the opening cinematic and whatnot, but I can't see anything.

Anyone know why?

I've tried re-botting and installing all updates.

Edit: this is on Mountain Lion.
pgharavi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:04 PM   #21
Calot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgharavi View Post
I just got a Retina MBP. I own and downloaded The Witcher EE, but all I get is a black screen

I can hear the opening cinematic and whatnot, but I can't see anything.

Anyone know why?

I've tried re-botting and installing all updates.

Edit: this is on Mountain Lion.
Good question. Does it work on ML?

When ARE Steam sales? I missed the last one since I didn't know I was gonna get a better gaming MacBook.
Calot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:30 PM   #22
pgharavi
macrumors regular

It works now. I just launched the game a second time. Dunno why that did it, but it works now.
pgharavi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:41 PM   #23
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calot View Post
When ARE Steam sales? I missed the last one since I didn't know I was gonna get a better gaming MacBook.
Typically from Thanksgiving to the end of the year (changes daily). And they often do one in the middle of the summer.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:42 PM   #24
cerote
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calot View Post
Good question. Does it work on ML?

The summer sale is over. It generally is end of June into start of July.
cerote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:47 PM   #25
Calot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgharavi View Post
It works now. I just launched the game a second time. Dunno why that did it, but it works now.
How well does it run? Could I run it in max settings in an Ultimate MBA 2012? I run starcraft 2 on medium at native resolution at 60 fps.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
Typically from Thanksgiving to the end of the year (changes daily). And they often do one in the middle of the summer.
Thanks! Guess I'll keep playing Diablo and look for something kewl on sale... do you know of anything on sale right now that's worth the time?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerote View Post
The summer sale is over. It generally is end of June into start of July.
Thanks!

Any other sales now or soon?
Calot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store