Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:56 AM   #1
macman0911
macrumors newbie

Apple TV running Linux, I want iOS!

I got an Apple TV first generation on eBay running Gentoo Linux and I want to restore it to the standard Apple TV OS but I don't know how. Can anyone give me a way to do this without having to spend any money?
macman0911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:11 AM   #2
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman0911 View Post
I got an Apple TV first generation on eBay running Gentoo Linux and I want to restore it to the standard Apple TV OS but I don't know how. Can anyone give me a way to do this without having to spend any money?
You need a MIcro USB cable, then just hook the ATV to your computer, and use iTunes to restore. If that doesn't work, you may need to put the ATV on DFU (you can google or youtube that so you can get a step by step) and then restore.
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:14 AM   #3
bucksaddle
macrumors regular

If you have purchased a 1st generation Apple TV (silver casing) and you manage to restore it you will not be getting the iOS based operating system seen on the current generation Apple TV's.
You will get the Mac OS X 10.4 based version which is not being updated anymore by Apple.
bucksaddle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maturola View Post
You need a MIcro USB cable, then just hook the ATV to your computer, and use iTunes to restore. If that doesn't work, you may need to put the ATV on DFU (you can google or youtube that so you can get a step by step) and then restore.
That won't work on the first gen Apple TV.

You need to hope that the seller left the partitions intact. If he didn't, you're going to have a really hard restoring the Apple TV OS. Try starting it up in recovery mode. I don't remember the correct remote button sequence for it. If it does startup in recovery mode, just restore it. If it doesn't after a few attempts, then the partitions are no longer there and you'll have to pull the Apple TV's hard drive and restore them.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:45 AM   #5
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
That won't work on the first gen Apple TV.

You need to hope that the seller left the partitions intact. If he didn't, you're going to have a really hard restoring the Apple TV OS. Try starting it up in recovery mode. I don't remember the correct remote button sequence for it. If it does startup in recovery mode, just restore it. If it doesn't after a few attempts, then the partitions are no longer there and you'll have to pull the Apple TV's hard drive and restore them.
Yeah, you are right i got confuse since the OP said he wanted iOS and iOS doesn't run on the original TV, but he did said first generation, my mistake.
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:25 AM   #6
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Well restoring it is easy with atvcloner.

The main issue you have is you need to find the boot, efi, and restore images that atvcloner needs to take your atv 1 back to normal.

The interwebs may offer those files.
dynaflash is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Is this any help?
http://stmlabs.com/forum/topic/how-t...tions-software
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Meanee
macrumors 6502a

I used to sell ATV1 HDD upgrades on eBay. Made a shell script on a macbook and saved all partitions before. Took me quite a lot of time to do.

If you would like to, you can send me a hard drive, and I can image it for you. PM me if you want that option. As long as you pay for shipping, I will do that.
Meanee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater