Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the successful iOS release of Grand Theft Auto III, Rockstar Games has announced Max Payne will be coming to iOS on April 12.
The full classic Max Payne PC experience, Max Payne Mobile has been optimized for both iOS and Android devices and features HD graphics, high-resolution textures, Social Club connectivity and user-customizable controls.
maxpaynescreenie.jpg

The game, originally published in 2001, is a third-person shooter focused on fugitive DEA agent Max Payne. Payne becomes a one-man vigilante, going after the mob, drug dealers and many others after his wife and daughter are murdered. The game uses graphic novels with voiceovers as cutscenes and was the first game to feature bullet time effects from The Matrix.

Max Payne Mobile on iOS supports the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 4, iPad 1, iPad 2 and the new iPad. Rockstar has not released pricing information as of yet.

Article Link: Max Payne Arrives On iOS April 12th

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Great game but on a touchscreen? If the GTA port was anything to go by I think I'll skip this one.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
This is sweet! I am a huge fan of Max Payne and have been looking forward to Max Payne 3. I guess this will hold me over and get me caught up on the story until then. It will probably keep the same price point as GTA 3, which is not a bad deal at all.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Cool, but like the rest of you I'm worried about how well it plays.

I hope we continue seeing updated versions of classic games. I'm so pumped for Baldur's Gate. (I'm rooting for a Retina-updated Fallout 1, 2).

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Great game but on a touchscreen? If the GTA port was anything to go by I think I'll skip this one.

The touchscreen does hinder it from the get-go, but once you're used to it, it comes naturally. I believe Rockstar did it the best they could, without the availability of using an external controller.

This game is going to be amazing if GTAIII is anything to go by.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
After GTA SA, all I see is MAX PANE with a silly sounding guy behind the window saying " I AIN'T LOSING ANOTHER CRAPPY JOB TO SOME CRAZY B---H!!"

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
I hope this game become a SteamPlay in the future. I don't care if MacSoft already released the game before, just release the game for OS X digitally on Steam!!!

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I think this might work pretty well. The bullet time thing might actually be quite useful in making things a little easier with touch controls.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
This was the first game that I felt that I played through a scripted film, if that makes sense.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
It does. I also think it has the best story and presentation of them, so far. I actually like the first better than the second. Something about the story pacing and even the surreal sequences. They told it so well.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
This was one of my favorite games! I do wonder what it will be like on an iPad/iPhone... I wonder if I can connect a keyboard and use the AWSD keys :) I will definitely pick this one up.

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
Max Payne Mobile has been optimized for both iOS and Android devices
LOL! Looks like Rockstar has money to throw away at Android users. Rockstart will end up losing money because Android users steal all the high-end apps. On the other hand, if the Android version is full of ads, then it'll be a cr@ppy game. Lose-lose scenario for Android, just like usual!

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
After GTA SA, all I see is MAX PANE with a silly sounding guy behind the window saying " I AIN'T LOSING ANOTHER CRAPPY JOB TO SOME CRAZY B---H!!"

I laughed out loud after reading this. I heard the voice in my head yelling at Catalina cause I've been playing San An for way too many hours.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
LOL! Looks like Rockstar has money to throw away at Android users. Rockstart will end up losing money because Android users steal all the high-end apps. On the other hand, if the Android version is full of ads, then it'll be a cr@ppy game. Lose-lose scenario for Android, just like usual!

What about apple heads that have their iOS devices jail broken, same sort of situation is it not?

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
Cool, but like the rest of you I'm worried about how well it plays.

I hope we continue seeing updated versions of classic games. I'm so pumped for Baldur's Gate. (I'm rooting for a Retina-updated Fallout 1, 2).

The games that would be MADE for touch screen are the Bungie Myth series. I'd love to relive the original on my iPad

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
With the shape the new Max Payne game is taking on the PC, I'd rather play again the original on iOS. Great news.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
didn't really play GTA III much, will probably buy this and not play it much either,
on my iOS devices I like playing short games, that I can be in and out in 2 minutes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.