Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:44 AM   #551
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedivulcan View Post
I am chatting with a live support agent to get a feel for the overall process. Their system is a mess and their staff is poorly trained to address the situation.

I supplied my IMEI for my iPhone 4 (having early upgraded my contract another two years for another device) and they told me that I wouldn't be eligible for an unlock until April of 2014 on this phone I've had since 2010.
I tried with live support as well and they told me to call a 800 number or dial 611 from my phone. That they can't help me over chat.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:50 AM   #552
aschmano
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to aschmano
finally

i just called in the CSP number and they put me on hold for a while after getting in with the agent he asked for my IMEI and took him a some other minute while i'm on hold then he asked for my number after that he says my Iphone can be unlocked took my e mail and he will send me an unlock confirmation in about 5-6 days.

finally i can fly with my AT&T IPhone
aschmano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:53 AM   #553
silverbullet361
macrumors newbie

ATT is telling me that my 4s (paid in full at corp store) and iphone 4 (out of contract) both require a receipt, which I no longer have, to process the unlock.

If there is anyone that can help me out, please PM me. I have tried chat, email to FAN rep, and phone call, and have no luck whatsoever.
silverbullet361 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:03 AM   #554
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet361 View Post
ATT is telling me that my 4s (paid in full at corp store) and iphone 4 (out of contract) both require a receipt, which I no longer have, to process the unlock.

If there is anyone that can help me out, please PM me. I have tried chat, email to FAN rep, and phone call, and have no luck whatsoever.
I'd try again, and again if you really want/need them unlocked.

Not to mention. Call AT&T for the receipt.

One of mine is still under contract but I am going to try to get it unlocked for travel. I am going to call several times until they do it. I am a long time customer with no intention of leaving AT&T. Not to mention....I don't know why they won't unlock even under contract since I would still have to pay ETF if I leave. Either way it's no loss to AT&T.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:16 AM   #555
Exegesis48
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
Wow im Surprised that u got your unlocked rite away! How come tho? I requested my 2 iphones 2g and the tech support told me to wait until next week to get it unlock! Wat am i doing wrong?
I believe it had something to do with my being a "Business Care" customer. They seem to put me through Tech Support quicker etc. With my other two unlocks I went online through chat, who was much more cooperative than Phone Support, but did not process my unlock as immediately as the Phone guy did.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:18 AM   #556
dread
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis48 View Post
I believe it had something to do with my being a "Business Care" customer. They seem to put me through Tech Support quicker etc. With my other two unlocks I went online through chat, who was much more cooperative than Phone Support, but did not process my unlock as immediately as the Phone guy did.
I'm a business customer and I'm still waiting on my 3GS unlock.
dread is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:21 AM   #557
silverbullet361
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
I'd try again, and again if you really want/need them unlocked.

Not to mention. Call AT&T for the receipt.

One of mine is still under contract but I am going to try to get it unlocked for travel. I am going to call several times until they do it. I am a long time customer with no intention of leaving AT&T. Not to mention....I don't know why they won't unlock even under contract since I would still have to pay ETF if I leave. Either way it's no loss to AT&T.
I called. They told me they only keep the receipts on record for 4 months.
silverbullet361 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:33 AM   #558
memrtn
macrumors newbie

Just got of the Skype-phone with the AT&T customer care. Called 1-800-331-0500 after tips right here. Bought my iPhone 4 in July 2010 at the Apple Store on 5th Ave in NYC. Bought it off-contract, because I live abroad and it frankly just was cheaper to buy off-contract than back home.

The rep wanted my IMEI-number and after about 15 minutes of nothing from the rep's side he asked if I could fax my receipt, showing that I'm indeed of possession of the iPhone. He gave me a case number and I just faxed the receipt including the case number and the rep's name. He said my case would be fulfilled before April 18th. Probably the unlock should be before that, but because of the backlog he couldn't make it sure.
memrtn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:34 AM   #559
Exegesis48
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread View Post
I'm a business customer and I'm still waiting on my 3GS unlock.
Hmmm... What a pain. I received my unlock confirmation email and was able to connect to iTunes and restore my 3GS literally minutes after speaking to the phone rep. I received the "Congratulations your phone is Unlocked" message after doing the restore.

I'm still waiting for emails regarding my other two phones (iPhone 2G and iPhone 4).
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:42 AM   #560
aschmano
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to aschmano
Quote:
try to call them again but don't mention your number , just give them the IMEI and the request of you're here to unlock, if they ask where did you buy just respond with where & when that's might bypass the request for the recipe
aschmano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:58 AM   #561
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:

That doesn't sound right. What if they get audited?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:00 AM   #562
daxomni
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by almonde View Post
LOL, you think that somehow if the government stays out of you'll always get the best deal as customer. Just look at how much you have to pay for cellular service. #idiot
Not familiar with sarcasm eh? Or simply reading the full thread before commenting. Get a clue, kid.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:22 AM   #563
psejcf
macrumors member

If at first you fail, try again

1. I tried calling 800-331-0500 again and got to speak to another agent.
2. I immediately asked to talk to tech support, but she said she could help (even though I don't have an AT&T account and the phone was never activated with AT&T).
3. It took a while, but she created a case for the IMEI number after checking with me that it was a no commitment iPhone 4.
4. She asked me to fax the purchase receipt within 48 hours. Although someone had mentioned in this thread that they don't have an email address to send the receipt to, I asked her if there was one. She checked and said that fax was the only option.
5. The unlock would be done in 5-7 business days, before April 17, 2012.

Now, sending the fax seems to be the only issue. I don't know where the problem is, but I get no response or the fax terminates due to the AT&T fax machine not responding while sending it. Been retrying several times and not gonna give up after progressing so far!!!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:32 AM   #564
Slouby
macrumors newbie

If we have to give a proof of purchase and we bought the iPhone on a website like eBay, it is useless to send them a proof because it is not linked with the original purchase, right ?
Slouby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:01 PM   #565
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Not sure what to make of this yet, but apparently I will be sent an unlock code by the 17th for my iphone 4 (still on contract).

Got a case number and everything
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:05 PM   #566
Globug
macrumors 6502

Alex Baker: Hello Ms. G, I will be glad to assist you with unlocking your device today.

Alex Baker: Please provide me your IMEI number and a email address that the unlock code and procedures can be emailed to.

G: IMEI: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

G: g@gmail.com

G: thanks!

Alex Baker: A ticket has been submitted for this. This is not a guarantee of eligibility. You will receive an email with the unlock steps or an explanation of why you are not eligible.

Alex Baker: The ticket number is CM20XXXXXXXXXX. The estimated completion date is April 17,2012 .

Alex Baker: This is not a guarantee of eligibility. You will receive an email with the unlock steps or an explanation of why you are not eligible.

Alex Baker: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

G: no thats all thanks

Alex Baker: You're welcome.

Alex Baker: Please do not forget to take advantage of our FREE self-service options such as *BAL# (*225#) send to check the balance on your account and your last payment made and remember to help reduce clutter to better our environment by taking advantage of the benefits of enrolling in paperless billing today. Let's go green!

Alex Baker: We realize that you have a choice in Wireless providers and thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for visiting AT&T’s Live Support Chat.

Please click the close button to end your session. A customer satisfaction survey will automatically appear and we appreciate your feedback.

Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the chat representative.

Took all of 4 seconds after the hour long wait to chat to a rep.
Globug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:25 PM   #567
firerage101
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by littyboy View Post
Looking at the users join date, I smell a troll. LOL

No im not a troll i've been using macrumors for a little over a year, but never posted. I simply posted my experience in hopes it helped others. There is nothing to gain by lying. As far as my iphone

1. yes its unlocked now
2. It is a 4s which i bought on launch date (later replaced via apple)
3. Maybe im one of the few lucky that slipped through the cracks with ATT
4. And for the record im still waiting on all my pics to restore from the Cloud ;-( its like its frozen on number 377
firerage101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:27 PM   #568
Tubebaum
macrumors newbie

Anyone else getting stuck on this page when trying to use the Live Chat Agent from AT&T's website?

Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:34 PM   #569
harry1234
macrumors newbie

Need help

I got instruction email from AT&T about unlock my 3GS but my phone is in India. Can I still unlock using itune?
harry1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:48 PM   #570
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry1234 View Post
I got instruction email from AT&T about unlock my 3GS but my phone is in India. Can I still unlock using itune?
I think it should work, basically ATT sends the IMEI to Apple and Apple white lists from their activation server, hence it does NOT matter which carrier or iTunes account it is tied to.

Let us know what you find out, btw when did request for unlock?
shanmugam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:56 PM   #571
hinchesk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony555 View Post
Who said anything about needing a current account to get an unlock? Good standing just means the contract terms were met. It implies nothing about being a current customer.

Any AT&T compatible iPhone that's had the original contract terms met should be able to get an unlock.
Who said anything about what ought to be true actually being true?

Fyi the AT&T press release says "and their accounts must be in good standing". It would be difficult to have an account in good standing if you didn't have an account.
hinchesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:00 PM   #572
jedivulcan
macrumors 6502

AT&T won't unlock it unless you've been a customer with them for at least two years. The second customer service representative I chatted with gave me a different unlock availability date (November 2012 vs. April 2014) ... but said even if I renew my contract with another device and reset my ETF, my old iPhone 4 would not be eligible until then.

I'm leaning towards paying the ~$140 ETF, canceling my renewal (returning my other device), and doing PAYG on T-Mobile or finding a decent MVNO or whatever you call them.

The entire process, qualifications, and eligibility seem varied and steep. AT&T wants you to be clearly out of any manufacturer's warranty before they unlock your phone. They also want you to be a current customer or at least have an active account with them. They're basically banking on the fact that the device is run down, obsoleted, or broken beyond resale value before they're willing totally give it up to you.

I wanted it unlocked in case I travelled over the summer. I had a pain in the ass time trying to use GEVEY overseas in Paris last summer.

I pay on time, have been a customer for over a year and a half, and was willing to renew my contract another two years with them (and they still wouldn't give me an unlock).

This unlock nonsense is not worth the trouble for most.
jedivulcan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:08 PM   #573
kareldc
macrumors newbie

Bought iphone 4 used but could not get unlock.

I'n Europe and bought a used iphone 4 last time I was in LA, Hoping the unlock hack would become available with iOS 5.1. but sadly it didn't.

I gave them a call and they need the original owner of the phone so they can verify the status. They did't go for the apple valid purchase date.

Cheers!
Karel.

Last edited by annk; Apr 9, 2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: MP violation
kareldc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:08 PM   #574
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedivulcan View Post
I'm leaning towards paying the ~$140 ETF, canceling my renewal (returning my other device), and doing PAYG on T-Mobile or finding a decent MVNO or whatever you call them.
Straightalk it is, until t-mobile figures out a way to work with iPhone 3G frequency.
shanmugam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:22 PM   #575
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesedemo View Post
Sue for what? Paying $199 or $299 for a $800 phone? You agreed to the terms of the contract while I paid $800+ for my phone and chose not to. Why on Earth should you get to sue for that?
Well seeing as I paid 800 for my iPhone 4S my phone should be unlocked,Sadly when I was robbed AT&T replaced it with a locked device so yeah I have legal recourse,and so should everyone else.You finance a car the loan company/dealer can't tell you how to use it neither should AT&T

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion