Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allieverything

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Hi,

I just bought a 4S on 5.0.1 on Craigslist. I saw sbsettings and 5.0.1 and just assumed all was well. Now, I find there is no cydia. I checked to see if it's hidden and it's just not there. Also, bitesms is there but no standard message app. I can deal with bite, but really need cydia. Any way to get it back?

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
you would have to check to see what version you have if its 5.0.1 or 5.1 , if its 5.0.1 you can then re jailbreak it and you would then have Cydia reinstalled.

daemonite

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
You can reinstall Cydia vis SSH (IF ENABLED PREVIOUSLY!) or simply use the free program called iExplorer

1. Download the Cydia package – available from many sources across the web these days. (as .deb package)
2. Use CyberDuck (SSH), WinSCP (SSH) or iExplorer to transfer the files into your iPhone to the ROOT folder
3. Once you have placed the .deb package into the ROOT folder, open up the Mobile Terminal and type the following commands:
- dpkg -i /Cydia.deb
- killall -HUP SpringBoard

there maybe a problem though if you do not have mobile terminal installed or SSH access since you cannot run commands manually.

Last edited:

allieverything

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Just in root folder? not in a sub folder there? I'm using a mac btw and iexplorer. Thanks so much for the help. And where i mobile terminal?

allieverything

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Docked?

When I navigate into Media, the Cydia folder with the Autoinstall folder there. There is nothing inside the auto install folder. I put a cydia 1.1.4 deb file in there and restarted a could of times and nothing changed

allieverything

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Well, it's not docked. This is really upsetting me. Who the heck does this?

EDIT: BTW- thanks everyone for helping.

Any other clues how I can install cydia again?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
guessing the guy you bought it from used cydelete to remove cydia or something like that. we have people come on here asking how do I delete cydia I never understand why. since at the very least it this makes getting updates much easier.

allieverything

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Yes, I checked there. -sigh- thanks guy's for the help. I'm going to try rejailbreaking with cinject later. I can't believe someone would delete cydia

allieverything

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Furthermore, when I open it in ifunbox, under raw file section/applications, the cydia.app is there. When I click on sources is has hackle and xsellize. Nothing else.

daemonite

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
try Cyder to install Mobile Terminal?

then use mobile terminal to run commands:
- dpkg -i /Cydia.deb
- killall -HUP SpringBoard

that should launch the cyda installer you put into your root folder...

allieverything

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Wow, i forgot about that! Im going to give this a try asap. I should have results by monday (gfs phone and she is away). Thank you!!

allieverything

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
So- no luck. Cyder puts them in the autoinstall folder but no good. -sigh- Will CLI tool overide the already jailbroken error?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Do not re-run the jailbreak using cinject. I was personally warned against it by iH8snow himself. It will *not* work and will force you to do a DFU restore.

Do you have MobileTerminal or SSH?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
If you can connect to the phone using iFunBox, you should be able to install MobileTerminal. All you have to do is download it from here, unzip it on your computer, then drag the Terminal.app folder to the /var/stash/Applications.XXXXX folder. Reboot and you should have MobileTerminal on your springboard.

Now, download Cydia Installer here. Use iFunBox to drop it in the root folder /. Then open MobileTerminal and enter the following command:

Code:
sudo dpkg -i cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb

As long as dpkg is still installed, this should install Cydia.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Hmm. Well, that's progress. It's possible that you don't have all the required dependencies. Did it give you any sort of error message during the install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.