Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nova77

Original poster
May 12, 2011
Hi all, after some frustrating experiences with my old (slow) CD-DVD drive in my MDD, I asked myself if there was some kind of optical drive benchmark app for Mac OS. I'd like to see what transfer speed you can get from your drive, and compare results if I get my hands on a better drive.

Also, I wonder... What if I plug the CD-DVD on the ATA-66 or ATA-100 instead of the slow poke ATA bus made for the optical drive? Would it work? Is there an optical drive that spin fast enough to saturate the EIDE/ATA-2 (16 MB/sec) optical drive bus?

Dave H

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
California
What if I plug the CD-DVD on the ATA-66 or ATA-100 instead of the slow poke ATA bus made for the optical drive? Would it work? Is there an optical drive that spin fast enough to saturate the EIDE/ATA-2 (16 MB/sec) optical drive bus?
I did that with a DVR-109, and later a DVR-115, in a G4 Digital Audio (using the ATA-66 port).
It worked and allowed full 20x burn speed. There was a small catch. I couldn't start up from optical disks by holding the "C" key, but I could by using the Option key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.