Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:09 AM   #1
duckhuntgangsta
macrumors newbie

Airport Extreme vs. Airport Express

What is the difference between Airport Extreme vs. Airport Express? I read the description on both and it wasn't very clear.

I need a router but the Extreme seems to be a ridiculous amount to pay for a router despite it's solid reviews and sleek design. Am I missing something? The express seems reasonable but not sure if it meets my needs.

Not harping on Apple. I love my Mac, iPhone, and I'll be getting an iPad & Apple TV soon. Those are all worth the money to me, just not sure about the Airports.

Thx

DHG
duckhuntgangsta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:11 AM   #2
TjeuV
macrumors 6502

Express is used to extend a network

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhuntgangsta View Post
What is the difference between Airport Extreme vs. Airport Express? I read the description on both and it wasn't very clear.

I need a router but the Extreme seems to be a ridiculous amount to pay for a router despite it's solid reviews and sleek design. Am I missing something? The express seems reasonable but not sure if it meets my needs.

Not harping on Apple. I love my Mac, iPhone, and I'll be getting an iPad & Apple TV soon. Those are all worth the money to me, just not sure about the Airports.

Thx

DHG
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:13 AM   #3
marzer
macrumors 65816

Both the extreme and express are wifi routers. The extreme has more capabilities, such as ethernet ports and can have a printer or harddrive hooked to it. In fact using a usb hub you can hook multiple drives or ptinters to it. The extreme can extend an existing network but will not provide airplay functionality.

The express can act as a router or extend an exisitng network, but will also act as an airplay node for iTunes. It has a usb port but only for connecting a printer and cannot be extended with a hub.

Another point is wifi bands, extreme operates on 5 and 2.4 ghz simultaneously which provides significant throughput advantages. The express can operate on one or the other but not both simultaneously.

For selection it comes down to your needs and price tolerance. The express is a simple and cheap wifi router if your needs are simple and the area its covering not particulary large. If it suits your needs the airplay function is very handy.

The extreme has more capability for connecting: simultaneous bands, ethernet ports and usb expansion. With a drive connected it can be used as a remote time machine host for backups. But of course costs more.

Last edited by marzer; Apr 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
marzer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 04:52 PM   #4
DaveTheRave
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhuntgangsta View Post

I have an Extreme and its great, no complaints at all. From what I've read the Extreme is generally "better" than the Express in terms of tech specs. However the Express beats the Extreme in portability and the Express also has Airtunes/Airplay functionality, which for some reason is missing in the Extreme.

The Extreme is a bit heavy, but not a big deal because its not meant to be moved around. Just set it and forget it. I read somewhere the Extreme has 3 antennas inside. I thought I read somewhere that the Express only has 1. So you'd think that the Extreme has better range than the Express but I can't confirm that anywhere. The Apple website doesn't go into specifics, only saying that Express is good for small homes and apartments and the Extreme is good for homes and businesses.
DaveTheRave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 09:23 AM   #5
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Another feature the Express has which isn't widely advertised since it is minor is the ability to connect devices that have no wireless wirelessly.

As for the Extreme and its priciness, I do agree that it is on the expensive side. However, having owned one for a year and not having to fix it or redo it during that year, I think that lack of going on the fritz makes it worth the price. I had a different router before that, but I had to keep it close to reset it every now amd then, causing not only me, but others in my house annoyance. Not anymore with the Extreme.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Medic278
macrumors 6502a

I currently have the Express and couldn't be happier. I think its great, my issue was my router supplied by my ISP didn't really have a powerful signal and I needed one because I like to work my deck or my balcony when the weather is nice. I picked up the Express 2 days ago, it took about 45 seconds to install and get up and running and works great. The extreme is useful if your running a lot off your router, for example, your Macs, iPods/iPhones, iPad, Video games etc etc then I would go extreme, but if all you want it for is a Mac or two then express is the way to go its cheaper and very capable and will make you happy.

Last edited by Medic278; Apr 8, 2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Medic278 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:57 AM   #7
bilh39
macrumors newbie

Airport Extreme vs. Airport Express

Thank you who posted clear answers to this perplexing question.

One wonders why Apple does not give this information on its Apple Store web site
bilh39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:36 AM   #8
smellalot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilh39 View Post
Thank you who posted clear answers to this perplexing question.

One wonders why Apple does not give this information on its Apple Store web site
They do:
http://www.apple.com/compare-wifi-models/
smellalot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals