Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 7, 2012, 01:08 PM   #1
steffi
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Anybody get an AT&T sanctioned Unlock?

Apparently starting April 8 AT&T will unlock some phones.

I figure if I have a phone that's since been upgraded I may qualify to get the old phone unlocked.
steffi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 01:13 PM   #2
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Any phones that aren't tied to a contract will be eligible for an unlock.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
You should.
I bet AT&T's phone centers will get hammered starting Sunday the 8th.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:15 PM   #4
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC
My cousin in london is posting me my old iPhone 3GS back to the states to unlock it since his "girlfriend" accidentally upgraded the OS to 5.1 on him.Ill post back whenever the phone arrives here
__________________
Honor Courage Commitment,US Navy
DerekRod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:22 PM   #5
reclusive46
macrumors 6502a
 
reclusive46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post
My cousin in london is posting me my old iPhone 3GS back to the states to unlock it since his "girlfriend" accidentally upgraded the OS to 5.1 on him.Ill post back whenever the phone arrives here
You don't need the phone to unlock it. You just need to call up.
reclusive46 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:29 PM   #6
klo-mac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Hi guys,

A year ago I purchased an iPhone 4 on eBay from USA, I'm still in iOS 4 and using a gevey sim to unlock it.

Is any luck to unlock it now, since I need iOS 5? I live in Europe.

Thanks
klo-mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klo-mac View Post
Hi guys,

A year ago I purchased an iPhone 4 on eBay from USA, I'm still in iOS 4 and using a gevey sim to unlock it.

Is any luck to unlock it now, since I need iOS 5? I live in Europe.

Thanks
We're not exactly sure what they will need for the unlock but most likelly you will have to be an AT&T customer in good standing and the phone purchased/locked under your account in order for them to unlock it if its out of contract now.
But we will know more soon.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:39 PM   #8
klo-mac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
We're not exactly sure what they will need for the unlock but most likelly you will have to be an AT&T customer in good standing and the phone purchased/locked under your account in order for them to unlock it if its out of contract now.
But we will know more soon.
Thanks Applejuiced,

Actually I have no idea if the seller is in good standing AT&T customer. I purchased on eBay, and I don't own even an AT&T Sim card.

Yes we will see tomorrow.
klo-mac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:55 PM   #9
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by reclusive46 View Post
You don't need the phone to unlock it. You just need to call up.
Sweet ill have to message him and get the IMEI number guess ill post back tomorrow and see if they unlock it
__________________
Honor Courage Commitment,US Navy
DerekRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:57 PM   #10
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Any phones that aren't tied to a contract will be eligible for an unlock.
What about someone who sells an iphone under contract to someone. Is that buyer eligible for the unlock in the event the contract via the seller is not complete?
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:58 PM   #11
0m3ga
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
We're not exactly sure what they will need for the unlock but most likelly you will have to be an AT&T customer in good standing and the phone purchased/locked under your account in order for them to unlock it if its out of contract now.
But we will know more soon.
I will be doing this tomorrow. Will post back then the exact procedure.
0m3ga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 04:12 PM   #12
reclusive46
macrumors 6502a
 
reclusive46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post
Sweet ill have to message him and get the IMEI number guess ill post back tomorrow and see if they unlock it
If it works the same as other iPhone characters. They will just give the IMEI to Apple and it will take a couple of weeks. Your friend just needs to plug it into iTunes then.
reclusive46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 05:11 PM   #13
PNutts
macrumors 601
 
PNutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post
Apparently starting April 8 AT&T will unlock some phones.
Since you posted one day before AT&T starts unlocking phones, the answer to your question is, "No".
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 05:51 PM   #14
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816
 
LapsangSouchong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: the burrows
I'll be calling on monday to get my old Iphone4 and 3GS unlocked.
__________________
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
Air, Imac, Black/Slate iPhone 5 (GSM)
LapsangSouchong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:13 AM   #15
Stealthipad
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
What is the use. I am not leaving AT&T so why unlock. With more people doing this there will be less value added for unlocked phones.

I fail to get excited
Stealthipad is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:48 AM   #16
The Tuck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
What is the use. I am not leaving AT&T so why unlock. With more people doing this there will be less value added for unlocked phones.

I fail to get excited
I don't understand your logic. There might be less value for unlocked phones, but there will still be more resale value than if the phone were locked. Think about how many more people could potentially use an unlocked phone vs. one that's tied to a single carrier.

Tuck
The Tuck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:50 AM   #17
reclusive46
macrumors 6502a
 
reclusive46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
What is the use. I am not leaving AT&T so why unlock. With more people doing this there will be less value added for unlocked phones.

I fail to get excited
When they are unlocked, it also means you can use it abroad on foreign carriers, instead of paying a fortune in roaming fees.
reclusive46 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:01 AM   #18
Stealthipad
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by reclusive46 View Post
When they are unlocked, it also means you can use it abroad on foreign carriers, instead of paying a fortune in roaming fees.
This would still be a very small minority of people and i do not see the excitement.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tuck View Post
I don't understand your logic. There might be less value for unlocked phones, but there will still be more resale value than if the phone were locked. Think about how many more people could potentially use an unlocked phone vs. one that's tied to a single carrier.

Tuck
Some how much do you think it will add $50 or even more? The point it there will be a lot of unlocked iPhones now and with more on the market, they will demand less.
Stealthipad is offline   -11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:05 AM   #19
reclusive46
macrumors 6502a
 
reclusive46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England
[QUOTE=Stealthipad;14685525]This would still be a very small minority of people and i do not see the excitement.[COLOR="#808080"]

People travelling abroad is hardly a minority. You make it sound like nobody ever leaves. In most of Europe you can get a 20usd sim card with tons of minutes, texts and internet. On AT&T it would cost you hundreds.
reclusive46 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:08 AM   #20
The Tuck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
Some how much do you think it will add $50 or even more? The point it there will be a lot of unlocked iPhones now and with more on the market, they will demand less.
True. But it would still be a smart thing to do before reselling (if you're planning on doing that).

Tuck
The Tuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:15 AM   #21
Stealthipad
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
[QUOTE=reclusive46;14685546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
This would still be a very small minority of people and i do not see the excitement.[COLOR="#808080"]

People travelling abroad is hardly a minority. You make it sound like nobody ever leaves. In most of Europe you can get a 20usd sim card with tons of minutes, texts and internet. On AT&T it would cost you hundreds.
I bet 90% of the devices never leave the country they are sold in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tuck View Post
True. But it would still be a smart thing to do before reselling (if you're planning on doing that).

Tuck
Maybe so but this is to really a thing to get excited about.
ZZZzZzZzzZzzzZzzzZzzzzzzz
Stealthipad is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:16 AM   #22
seamuskrat
macrumors 6502a
 
seamuskrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey USA
Send a message via AIM to seamuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to seamuskrat
Tried and Failed

Good old AT&T.

Spent over 2hours with them today. Attempting to unlock my old 3G which is well off contract.

First off, it took a good 45 minutes to get bounced around to anyone who even knew what I was talking about. I got many "You cannot unlock iPhones" and a few "it is not even possible".

I finally got someone who knew this policy and attempted to perform the unlock. Apparently the system will not unlock the phone unless it is actively being used on the paid AT&T network. In my case I replaced the line the 3G was on with a 4S. The 3G being a few years old was essentially an iPod Touch for me. I wanted to unlock so I could repurpose the phone as a pay as you go spare for travel on another network. But no go.

According to the person I worked with they said the software had many restrictions but their policy memo did not list any. As it is a holiday there was no escalation or support to go beyond.

So after 2 hours I gave up.

I will be curious to see of others have success and what scenario they found it and perhaps try again during normal business hours.
seamuskrat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:34 AM   #23
dtbratt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stoney Creek, ON
Alot of ppl are going to want to unlock old devices that use to be on their AT&T account. Looks like that won't happen. Unless you activate it and unlock then put your current device back on the account.
__________________
dtbratt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:44 AM   #24
jmm74
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Waiting Now

I am on hold waiting for tech support. I gave the initial cs my imei numbers. She seemed to be aware of the new policy and said the wait times were at least 10 minutes for the tech support which is the next step.

Done with tech support, now I just need to backup and restore to get my unlock to enable via iTunes.

Last edited by jmm74; Apr 8, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
jmm74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 09:43 AM   #25
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamuskrat View Post
Good old AT&T.

Spent over 2hours with them today. Attempting to unlock my old 3G which is well off contract.

First off, it took a good 45 minutes to get bounced around to anyone who even knew what I was talking about. I got many "You cannot unlock iPhones" and a few "it is not even possible".

I finally got someone who knew this policy and attempted to perform the unlock. Apparently the system will not unlock the phone unless it is actively being used on the paid AT&T network. In my case I replaced the line the 3G was on with a 4S. The 3G being a few years old was essentially an iPod Touch for me. I wanted to unlock so I could repurpose the phone as a pay as you go spare for travel on another network. But no go.

According to the person I worked with they said the software had many restrictions but their policy memo did not list any. As it is a holiday there was no escalation or support to go beyond.

So after 2 hours I gave up.

I will be curious to see of others have success and what scenario they found it and perhaps try again during normal business hours.

That doesn't make much sense.
You are supposed to keep using you old off contract iPhone to unlock it?
I think they're confused, and many AT&T reps need training on this new process.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jailbroke AT&T 4s sanctioned unlock ? Jasper84 iPhone 8 Aug 2, 2012 05:15 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC