Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Apparently starting April 8 AT&T will unlock some phones.

I figure if I have a phone that's since been upgraded I may qualify to get the old phone unlocked.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
My cousin in london is posting me my old iPhone 3GS back to the states to unlock it since his "girlfriend" accidentally upgraded the OS to 5.1 on him.Ill post back whenever the phone arrives here

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
My cousin in london is posting me my old iPhone 3GS back to the states to unlock it since his "girlfriend" accidentally upgraded the OS to 5.1 on him.Ill post back whenever the phone arrives here

You don't need the phone to unlock it. You just need to call up.

klo-mac

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Hi guys,

A year ago I purchased an iPhone 4 on eBay from USA, I'm still in iOS 4 and using a gevey sim to unlock it.

Is any luck to unlock it now, since I need iOS 5? I live in Europe.

Thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hi guys,

A year ago I purchased an iPhone 4 on eBay from USA, I'm still in iOS 4 and using a gevey sim to unlock it.

Is any luck to unlock it now, since I need iOS 5? I live in Europe.

Thanks

We're not exactly sure what they will need for the unlock but most likelly you will have to be an AT&T customer in good standing and the phone purchased/locked under your account in order for them to unlock it if its out of contract now.
But we will know more soon.

klo-mac

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
We're not exactly sure what they will need for the unlock but most likelly you will have to be an AT&T customer in good standing and the phone purchased/locked under your account in order for them to unlock it if its out of contract now.

Thanks Applejuiced,

Actually I have no idea if the seller is in good standing AT&T customer. I purchased on eBay, and I don't own even an AT&T Sim card.

Yes we will see tomorrow.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012

I will be doing this tomorrow. Will post back then the exact procedure.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Sweet ill have to message him and get the IMEI number guess ill post back tomorrow and see if they unlock it

If it works the same as other iPhone characters. They will just give the IMEI to Apple and it will take a couple of weeks. Your friend just needs to plug it into iTunes then.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
What is the use. I am not leaving AT&T so why unlock. With more people doing this there will be less value added for unlocked phones.

I fail to get excited:p

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
What is the use. I am not leaving AT&T so why unlock. With more people doing this there will be less value added for unlocked phones.

I don't understand your logic. There might be less value for unlocked phones, but there will still be more resale value than if the phone were locked. Think about how many more people could potentially use an unlocked phone vs. one that's tied to a single carrier.

Tuck

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada

When they are unlocked, it also means you can use it abroad on foreign carriers, instead of paying a fortune in roaming fees.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
When they are unlocked, it also means you can use it abroad on foreign carriers, instead of paying a fortune in roaming fees.

This would still be a very small minority of people and i do not see the excitement.

----------

I don't understand your logic. There might be less value for unlocked phones, but there will still be more resale value than if the phone were locked. Think about how many more people could potentially use an unlocked phone vs. one that's tied to a single carrier.

Tuck

Some how much do you think it will add $50 or even more? The point it there will be a lot of unlocked iPhones now and with more on the market, they will demand less.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
This would still be a very small minority of people and i do not see the excitement.

People travelling abroad is hardly a minority. You make it sound like nobody ever leaves. In most of Europe you can get a 20usd sim card with tons of minutes, texts and internet. On AT&T it would cost you hundreds.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Some how much do you think it will add $50 or even more? The point it there will be a lot of unlocked iPhones now and with more on the market, they will demand less.

True. But it would still be a smart thing to do before reselling (if you're planning on doing that).

Tuck

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

People travelling abroad is hardly a minority. You make it sound like nobody ever leaves. In most of Europe you can get a 20usd sim card with tons of minutes, texts and internet. On AT&T it would cost you hundreds.

I bet 90% of the devices never leave the country they are sold in.

True. But it would still be a smart thing to do before reselling (if you're planning on doing that).

Tuck

Maybe so but this is to really a thing to get excited about.
ZZZzZzZzzZzzzZzzzZzzzzzzz

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Tried and Failed

Good old AT&T.

Spent over 2hours with them today. Attempting to unlock my old 3G which is well off contract.

First off, it took a good 45 minutes to get bounced around to anyone who even knew what I was talking about. I got many "You cannot unlock iPhones" and a few "it is not even possible".

I finally got someone who knew this policy and attempted to perform the unlock. Apparently the system will not unlock the phone unless it is actively being used on the paid AT&T network. In my case I replaced the line the 3G was on with a 4S. The 3G being a few years old was essentially an iPod Touch for me. I wanted to unlock so I could repurpose the phone as a pay as you go spare for travel on another network. But no go.

According to the person I worked with they said the software had many restrictions but their policy memo did not list any. As it is a holiday there was no escalation or support to go beyond.

So after 2 hours I gave up.

I will be curious to see of others have success and what scenario they found it and perhaps try again during normal business hours.

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
Alot of ppl are going to want to unlock old devices that use to be on their AT&T account. Looks like that won't happen. Unless you activate it and unlock then put your current device back on the account.

jmm74

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Waiting Now

I am on hold waiting for tech support. I gave the initial cs my imei numbers. She seemed to be aware of the new policy and said the wait times were at least 10 minutes for the tech support which is the next step.

Done with tech support, now I just need to backup and restore to get my unlock to enable via iTunes.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Good old AT&T.

Spent over 2hours with them today. Attempting to unlock my old 3G which is well off contract.

First off, it took a good 45 minutes to get bounced around to anyone who even knew what I was talking about. I got many "You cannot unlock iPhones" and a few "it is not even possible".

I finally got someone who knew this policy and attempted to perform the unlock. Apparently the system will not unlock the phone unless it is actively being used on the paid AT&T network. In my case I replaced the line the 3G was on with a 4S. The 3G being a few years old was essentially an iPod Touch for me. I wanted to unlock so I could repurpose the phone as a pay as you go spare for travel on another network. But no go.

According to the person I worked with they said the software had many restrictions but their policy memo did not list any. As it is a holiday there was no escalation or support to go beyond.

So after 2 hours I gave up.

I will be curious to see of others have success and what scenario they found it and perhaps try again during normal business hours.

That doesn't make much sense.
You are supposed to keep using you old off contract iPhone to unlock it?
I think they're confused, and many AT&T reps need training on this new process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.