Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:37 PM   #126
thelatinist
macrumors 603

I did mine through chat at about 2 this afternoon. The agent said she had to submit a ticket and it would be done in 5-7 days. Not sure why the delay. I'm an AT&T customer, and the phone was purchased three years ago on my current account. I've upgraded to the 4S, so the IMEI should be clear. I wonder if some of the agents either don't know how to do it or are just lazy.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:42 PM   #127
Shadowbech
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
I did mine through chat at about 2 this afternoon. The agent said she had to submit a ticket and it would be done in 5-7 days. Not sure why the delay. I'm an AT&T customer, and the phone was purchased three years ago on my current account. I've upgraded to the 4S, so the IMEI should be clear. I wonder if some of the agents either don't know how to do it or are just lazy.
Have you tried restoring? The agent told me that it would take couple of hours. I am restoring my iphone 4 as of now but am downloading the ios5.1 update.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:32 PM   #128
Shadowbech
macrumors 68000

Update: used the liveperson chat at around 3 PM. Just restored my iphone, and got the Message telling me that it is unlocked. I put in my T-mobile pay as you go sim card and voila it worked.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:33 PM   #129
KoG506
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbech View Post
Update: used the liveperson chat at around 3 PM. Just restored my iphone, and got the Message telling me that it is unlocked. I put in my T-mobile pay as you go sim card and voila it worked.

Do you have an account with at&t?

I called in few days ago, rep told to wait till 4/16 for the case thing that some people have. I don't have an account nor ever had one with AT&T. I called in to get my 3GS unlocked. They couldn't find my phone in there database. (I bought the iPhone from a guy on craiglist, but I had to replace the iPhone at an local apple store because it had problems). So do you think they will unlock it?
KoG506 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:05 PM   #130
Supraking
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holoshed View Post
I have found a direct link for all of those who do not wish to call AT&T. In all truth this is a backdoor to their chat technical support. It works because AT&T does not use a in house hosted chat so all it takes is a crafty tweak to the liveperson url (a well known live chat support external hosted service).

You may be waiting for a 20-30 mins but it beats calling right?

The url is: https://sales.liveperson.net/hc/5188...!Section=MyATT

and I wrote about my experience here: http://geekmeans.com/so-you-want-to-...our-att-iphone
Thanks.
I went to that link, chatted with a representative, and 10 minutes later I got an email from AT&T telling me that my iPhone is eligible for unlocked. I don't have any AT&T account and have never been a customer of AT&T. I restored to 5.1 and my T-Mobile SIM card started working but never received the unlock message on iTunes. Now downgraded back to iOS 5.0.1 for untethered jailbreak.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.PNG
Views:	53
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	335373
Supraking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:11 PM   #131
jekyoo
macrumors 6502

Success! After 52 hours, my iPhone 4 has finally been unlocked.
jekyoo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:37 PM   #132
Daremo
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Daremo Send a message via Skype™ to Daremo
I used the link above, and it was unlocked in 10 minutes. I'm still shocked AT&T is doing this.
Universal iOS app : Novembers Doom : The Wayfaring Chronicles
Daremo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:51 PM   #133
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daremo View Post
I'm still shocked AT&T is doing this.
Me too, Im still waiting for someone to wake me up if Im dreaming
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:14 AM   #134
BigB82
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to BigB82
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I got it done on my 64GB 4S a few hours ago. I originally submitted an unlock yesterday but it didn't seem to go through. I resubmitted today, and it came instantly.

so were you on contract or what cause i have 6 different 4s units in my family that I'm trying to unlock and i always get the run around n my entire account is off contract
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:46 AM   #135
jokemjokester
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB82 View Post
so were you on contract or what cause i have 6 different 4s units in my family that I'm trying to unlock and i always get the run around n my entire account is off contract
I would like to know also. I bought my 4S from Craigslist and it seems like the guy I bought it from was going to pay the ETF. I wonder if my phone qualifies
jokemjokester is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:26 AM   #136
Holoshed
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Holoshed
Im glad I could help you guys out. I was happy they don't host their own chat service like Sprint does. Makes it so much easier.

In general I hate calling if I don't have to and the chat seems pretty quick.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:52 AM   #137
MuGeN PoWeR
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraking View Post
Thanks.
I went to that link, chatted with a representative, and 10 minutes later I got an email from AT&T telling me that my iPhone is eligible for unlocked. I don't have any AT&T account and have never been a customer of AT&T. I restored to 5.1 and my T-Mobile SIM card started working but never received the unlock message on iTunes. Now downgraded back to iOS 5.0.1 for untethered jailbreak.
Attachment 335373
what number did u write in order to chat? did u tell them that u dont have an account or u r not an AT&T customer?

i chatted with the representative she said my iphone isnt eligible for unlock. she said that it has no sim. i dont understand what does she mean by that? can any one help me in that? i told her that i bought my iPhone from ebay! all she said was ur fone isnt eligible for unlock. it is not associated with AT&T.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:23 AM   #138
Holoshed
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Holoshed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuGeN PoWeR View Post
what number did u write in order to chat? did u tell them that u dont have an account or u r not an AT&T customer?

i chatted with the representative she said my iphone isnt eligible for unlock. she said that it has no sim. i dont understand what does she mean by that? can any one help me in that? i told her that i bought my iPhone from ebay! all she said was ur fone isnt eligible for unlock. it is not associated with AT&T.

TrY again, use fake number, say you bought phone used, say you don't know original owner info if asked.

Don't listen to one dumb rep, if 5 in a row say same thing then ok.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:54 AM   #139
Shadowbech
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoG506 View Post
Do you have an account with at&t?

I called in few days ago, rep told to wait till 4/16 for the case thing that some people have. I don't have an account nor ever had one with AT&T. I called in to get my 3GS unlocked. They couldn't find my phone in there database. (I bought the iPhone from a guy on craiglist, but I had to replace the iPhone at an local apple store because it had problems). So do you think they will unlock it?
Yes I have an account with AT&T.

Apple won't unlock the phone, you will have to call AT&T. Also if you know or still can contact your seller, give him/her a call and if he is nice enough he may request an unlock and that is if he is the original owner of that device and has at&t account.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraking View Post
Thanks.
Attachment 335373
Well it can take a while, the representative I talked to submitted the form while I was chatting with him/her, and told me that it will take couple of hours. So 3 hours after I called, my phone was unlocked and is on tmobile prepaid.

----------

Quote:
If the phone was currently on contract, AT&T will not unlock it. If you purchased it off contract, you should be able to unlock it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuGeN PoWeR View Post

Are you sure you purchased an iPhone from ebay that specifically stated it is for AT&T only?

----------

Quote:
Im glad I could help you guys out. I was happy they don't host their own chat service like Sprint does. Makes it so much easier.

In general I hate calling if I don't have to and the chat seems pretty quick.
Same here I hate calling, every time I call someone that I don't know, I always get anxious/nervous and I can barely speak and with loss of words.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:59 AM   #140
jekyoo
macrumors 6502

If you desperate to get your iPhone unlocked, keep trying. I was denied by AT&T twice saying that it wasn't eligible since it was apparently associated with the previous owners account. I gave it another shot and the rep immediately processed my unlock after I gave her the IMEI, no questions asked. 2 minutes after the chat, I got an email with the PDF attachment saying that "We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked."

It seems like it's really up to the rep on whether or not they want to unlock your iPhone or not. Some are definitely stricter than others.
jekyoo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:00 PM   #141
yrchern
macrumors member

Tried Monday morning and the lady who chatted with me online lied to me, I didn't even get an email or case number. So I tried Wednesday again at noon and this time I got a case number and My 3GS was unlocked in the evening. But I did not receive any email about this though.
yrchern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:15 PM   #142
Ajones330
macrumors 6502a

I got mine unlocked Tuesday, took about 40 minutes being on the phone because I have a iPhone 4 that was replaced by Apple this past Nov. They tried to say I wasn't eligible but they contacted Apple and verified I was out of contract with the original. I am jailbroken as well and kept the untether using redsn0w to deactivate my phone so I wouldn't have to restore.

13" MBP l 13" MB l iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB l
Ajones330 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:16 PM   #143
BigB82
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to BigB82
Limiting number of phones that can be unlocked?

I have 6 phones on my account and 4 other iphones older ones 3g 3gs and 4 sitting around but they said you can only do 4 a year? what kind of crap is that? what do they care?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:08 PM   #144
Trixs
macrumors newbie

They told me mine is not eligible because it is an AT & T company owned device.

Does this mean the guy I bought it from stole it from his company or something? The rep wasn't exactly clear about it. He just said: 'You're not even supposed to have it'.

Kind of ****** :/
Trixs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:20 PM   #145
MuGeN PoWeR
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbech View Post

[/COLOR]

Are you sure you purchased an iPhone from ebay that specifically stated it is for AT&T only?

----------

yeah man its model is MC 318LL which clearly shows its AT&T!

----------

Quote:
TrY again, use fake number, say you bought phone used, say you don't know original owner info if asked.

Don't listen to one dumb rep, if 5 in a row say same thing then ok.
gonna try again right now! i hope i succeed!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:25 PM   #146
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
I have 6 phones on my account and 4 other iphones older ones 3g 3gs and 4 sitting around but they said you can only do 4 a year? what kind of crap is that? what do they care?
I heard its 5 per line per year.
Try again, you will get someone that will be willing to help.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:57 PM   #147
jokemjokester
macrumors member

to those WITHOUT an ATT account, what info are you putting in at the beginning of the chat that is require i.e., account number, phone number etc...
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:59 PM   #148
jekyoo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokemjokester View Post
to those WITHOUT an ATT account, what info are you putting in at the beginning of the chat that is require i.e., account number, phone number etc...
I tried putting in fake information but AT&T looks up my # and whatnot.
jekyoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:02 PM   #149
jokemjokester
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyoo View Post
I tried putting in fake information but AT&T looks up my # and whatnot.
really? it seems like you have to be lucky to get through without an att account.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:05 PM   #150
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Wonder how long it will take till we see ebay auctions about getting iphones unlocked from AT&T?
A rep working for AT&T could make a killing by entering IMEI numbers to the unlock database.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone