Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdcell100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Had the unlimited AT&T from day one of first iPad bought an AT&T 4g. New iPad I saw no difference in the speed from 3G to 4g. Brought it back for a Verizion now when I do a speed test the needle is buried off the chart speed with Verizion so glade I returned but it would have been nice to see that kind of speed with my unlimited AT&T plan had that from day 1 I'll miss it

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Had the unlimited AT&T from day one of first iPad bought an AT&T 4g. New iPad I saw no difference in the speed from 3G to 4g. Brought it back for a Verizion now when I do a speed test the needle is buried off the chart speed with Verizion so glade I returned but it would have been nice to see that kind of speed with my unlimited AT&T plan had that from day 1 I'll miss it

Are you in an LTE zone? If not, perhaps you should wait until AT&T builds out their network in your area before canceling your plan. Unlimited is nice, and they aren't throttling it yet like they are on the iPhone.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

7236163.jpg

Oh noes.

4G is the same thing as 3G. LTE is what you see on the display when you're on the new hi-speed network. You made an epic mistake. You might not have LTE in your area now, but on the day it arrives you will rue the day that you gave up your unlimited data plan.

BJ

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Oh noes.

4G is the same thing as 3G. LTE is what you see on the display when you're on the new hi-speed network. You made an epic mistake. You might not have LTE in your area now, but on the day it arrives you will rue the day that you gave up your unlimited data plan.

BJ

x2. If it isn't too late, just call back AT&T and get your plan back. LTE is too good to deal with 1-5GB limits if you don't have to.

AT&T's questionable advertising of their HSPA+ network as "4G" has just created consumer confusion. Sure, it lets them argue they have the largest 4G network in the country, but it also makes people think their 4G network must be pretty bad since it is so slow and overloaded in much of the market.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Oh no! I'm in an AT&T LTE zone, and I'm getting 18 mb down an 25 mb up. I have the unlimited data plan, and I'm hangin on for as long as they grandfather me.

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
Unlimited SIMs fetch $500 on ebay. Don't just turn that over to AT&T. If you really want to give it up, sell it.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I have an unlimited SIM. How do you sell it? Don't I have to turn my plan off before giving to someone else? How can someone else take over payments?

I've seen sellers on eBay say something about a three-way call to AT&T and transferring ownership/liability of the plan to a new owner.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I've seen sellers on eBay say something about a three-way call to AT&T and transferring ownership/liability of the plan to a new owner.

Do not let the sub expire. Get a cheap pre-paid credit card and transfer billing to that so the buyer doesn't get access to your info. That and the AT&T call would be the way to go. You can fetch a pretty penny for sure.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008

Dumping your unlimited plan for a little instant gratification makes for a bad move IMHO.

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
AT&T is on the edge of their seats trying to get people off their unlimited plans...shouldve held onto it for sure

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
AT&T is on the edge of their seats trying to get people off their unlimited plans...shouldve held onto it for sure

Recent statistics show that only 25% of all iPads are 3G or 4G models, and most of their owners spend at least 50% of the time using wi-fi. Add to that the fact that the unlimited data plan from AT&T was only available for one month after the iPad launch in May 2010, and I don't think we're at any major risk of losing our unlimited data plans.

Big picture, there simply aren't enough of us and we aren't using enough data to matter.

BJ

fanboy05

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Wow!:eek:
I would have sold it on eBay ... 300+ bucks in your pocket may not be a lot to you, but those unlimited plans can be sold to some one who can use them at the very least. I certainly wouldn't have dropped the plan without selling it, even if I was changing providers !
Eta... Just checked on eBay, and they are still being bid on, but are all going for over 400...

Last edited:

jdcell100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
When I had the AT&T iPad I never seen lte. In the upper left hand side now with Verizion I see the lte. Thanks for the advice everybody

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I'm selling mine because I hate AT&T and now have a new iPad on Verizon.
My ipad1 still has the unlimited. I'm definitely selling it. AT&T sucks most of the time for me. Even if it's a unique thing to own, I'll sell while it's valuable to someone else. Heck, I can't even tether.

My opinion: we'll look back at these data plans like we currently think of AOL minutes. Remember counting dial-up minutes?? Seems ridiculous to think of now. I'm convinced data plans will go that same direction.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Are you in an LTE zone? If not, perhaps you should wait until AT&T builds out their network in your area before canceling your plan. Unlimited is nice, and they aren't throttling it yet like they are on the iPhone.

Actually 5GB is now the throttle limit for LTE. Would expect to start seeing abusers complain.

DeuxIt

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
sold my unlimited plan for 650 on eBay. took all of 1 hour. didn't even need to send the sim. changed user name and password. buyer logged in using sim that came with his new iPad and changed the billing. I didn't want to mess with changing the billing too much and told the buyer he had until April 9 to change from my card and I another charge appeared I would contest the charge and his be 650 dollar plan would disappear. no incentive for him to try and abuse that agreement and little to no risk to me. whole deal took less than 2 hours from listing to transferred. just make sure the description and instructions are crystal clear and the buyer understands the risks. I used less than 1 fb a month on 3/4g so now I save 10/mo and the sale if the plan paid for my new iPad. no regrets.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
sold my unlimited plan for 650 on eBay. took all of 1 hour. didn't even need to send the sim. changed user name and password. buyer logged in using sim that came with his new iPad and changed the billing. I didn't want to mess with changing the billing too much and told the buyer he had until April 9 to change from my card and I another charge appeared I would contest the charge and his be 650 dollar plan would disappear. no incentive for him to try and abuse that agreement and little to no risk to me. whole deal took less than 2 hours from listing to transferred. just make sure the description and instructions are crystal clear and the buyer understands the risks. I used less than 1 fb a month on 3/4g so now I save 10/mo and the sale if the plan paid for my new iPad. no regrets.

Can you link to your auction?
I'm going to sell mine. I had some inquire from this forum but got no response when I offered it for $450. Now I'm glad they didn't take it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.