Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:23 PM   #1
boltjames
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Atomic Web Browser - Retina or No?

I'm confused about the Atomic Web Browser for iPad, hoping someone can help me.

I've read several articles that claim that this browser has been optimized for the retina display, but when I look at it in the App Store it says that the last update for this app was December 8, 2011.

Can someone let me know if indeed Atomic Web Browser has been optimized for the retina display? It's a great browser with many superior features compared with Safari, but if it's not optimized for retina and/or it's slower than Safari I think I'll take a pass.

TIA

BJ
__________________
The New iPad 4G-LTE | 64GB | $829 | UDP | iPhone 6 | 128GB | $399 | UDP | ATV x3 | iPod Touch x4
iPhone 5S x3 | iMac | Rolex | BMW | Trophy Wife | Beach House | iPad 4G-LTE Elitist ClubŪ Member
boltjames is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 05:36 AM   #2
erawsd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
I'm confused about the Atomic Web Browser for iPad, hoping someone can help me.

I've read several articles that claim that this browser has been optimized for the retina display, but when I look at it in the App Store it says that the last update for this app was December 8, 2011.

Can someone let me know if indeed Atomic Web Browser has been optimized for the retina display? It's a great browser with many superior features compared with Safari, but if it's not optimized for retina and/or it's slower than Safari I think I'll take a pass.

TIA

BJ
You might be seeing those mentions about the Retina updates when the iPhone was updated. So far it hasn't been updated, the UI looks horrible, and the devs have not said a word about an update. I've switched over to using iCab.

The 3rd party browsers are all def slower than Safari. Apple's "nitro engine" has never been made available to third party apps, and it doesn't sound like Apple will ever change its mind about that.

I still use iCab regardless since, for me, the extra features easily out weight a millisecond difference in load times.
erawsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:36 AM   #3
maril1111
macrumors 68000
 
maril1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
I'm confused about the Atomic Web Browser for iPad, hoping someone can help me.

I've read several articles that claim that this browser has been optimized for the retina display, but when I look at it in the App Store it says that the last update for this app was December 8, 2011.

Can someone let me know if indeed Atomic Web Browser has been optimized for the retina display? It's a great browser with many superior features compared with Safari, but if it's not optimized for retina and/or it's slower than Safari I think I'll take a pass.

TIA

BJ

I don't think its retina updated yet ( as far as the ipad goes) but speedwise I feel like it's on par with safari maybe a little slower and feature wise I think it is quite a bit better e.g. identify as different browsers, lock rotation and my favorite is that you can go full-screen (the biggest reason for me to over safari)



Quote:
Originally Posted by erawsd View Post
You might be seeing those mentions about the Retina updates when the iPhone was updated. So far it hasn't been updated, the UI looks horrible, and the devs have not said a word about an update. I've switched over to using iCab.

The 3rd party browsers are all def slower than Safari. Apple's "nitro engine" has never been made available to third party apps, and it doesn't sound like Apple will ever change its mind about that.

I still use iCab regardless since, for me, the extra features easily out weight a millisecond difference in load times.
I haven't used icab yet on the ipad as I got the atomic browser for free but I don't think the ui is horrible however that of course depends on personal taste.Just out of curiosity, is there anything icab can do over atomic apart from the ui being different which is personal preference?
__________________
13" 2011 MBP 2.3,8 GB Ram,320GB HDD;13"MB 4.1 3 GB Ram 120GB HDD;iPad 3 32Gb 4G+Wifi;Ipod Classic 160GB;ipod nano 8GB
maril1111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:44 PM   #4
erawsd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by maril1111 View Post
I haven't used icab yet on the ipad as I got the atomic browser for free but I don't think the ui is horrible however that of course depends on personal taste.Just out of curiosity, is there anything icab can do over atomic apart from the ui being different which is personal preference?
I dont mean the UI design is horrible, I mean that without the retina update its very laggy and pixelated. iCab pretty much does all the same things. It does have the visual bookmarks feature, which I really like.
erawsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 03:58 PM   #5
boltjames
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Thanks guys, appreciate the clarification.

BJ
__________________
The New iPad 4G-LTE | 64GB | $829 | UDP | iPhone 6 | 128GB | $399 | UDP | ATV x3 | iPod Touch x4
iPhone 5S x3 | iMac | Rolex | BMW | Trophy Wife | Beach House | iPad 4G-LTE Elitist ClubŪ Member
boltjames is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 04:48 PM   #6
boltjames
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by erawsd View Post
I dont mean the UI design is horrible, I mean that without the retina update its very laggy and pixelated. iCab pretty much does all the same things. It does have the visual bookmarks feature, which I really like.
Wow, iCab is a fantastic app. Just downloaded it, thank you for the advice, Atomic Web Browser bye-bye.

BJ
__________________
The New iPad 4G-LTE | 64GB | $829 | UDP | iPhone 6 | 128GB | $399 | UDP | ATV x3 | iPod Touch x4
iPhone 5S x3 | iMac | Rolex | BMW | Trophy Wife | Beach House | iPad 4G-LTE Elitist ClubŪ Member
boltjames is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Melrose
macrumors 604
 
Melrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Member FDIC
I've used Atomic ever since I got a free version when it was first released.

iCab has some good stuff going for it as well, and is better than the default browser.
__________________
FOR RENT.
Melrose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:10 PM   #8
boltjames
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose View Post
I've used Atomic ever since I got a free version when it was first released.

iCab has some good stuff going for it as well, and is better than the default browser.
I'm an iCab newb, but so far the only thing that Atomic has over it are colored toolbar themes. Other than that, iCab blows Atomic away with many more of the things that matter most in the post-Safari world. Tab switching w/screencaps, a custom start page w/favorite sites, a tremendous full-screen mode, fast caching, retina resolution, and a slew of custom gestures crush Atomic.

BJ
__________________
The New iPad 4G-LTE | 64GB | $829 | UDP | iPhone 6 | 128GB | $399 | UDP | ATV x3 | iPod Touch x4
iPhone 5S x3 | iMac | Rolex | BMW | Trophy Wife | Beach House | iPad 4G-LTE Elitist ClubŪ Member
boltjames is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Melrose
macrumors 604
 
Melrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Member FDIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
I'm an iCab newb, but so far the only thing that Atomic has over it are colored toolbar themes. Other than that, iCab blows Atomic away with many more of the things that matter most in the post-Safari world. Tab switching w/screencaps, a custom start page w/favorite sites, a tremendous full-screen mode, fast caching, retina resolution, and a slew of custom gestures crush Atomic.

BJ
I'll have to re-download it then. I tried it for a while before and found it lacked several key features (at least for my usage).

__________________
FOR RENT.
Melrose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:43 PM   #10
Mac.World
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In front of uranus
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
I'm an iCab newb, but so far the only thing that Atomic has over it are colored toolbar themes. Other than that, iCab blows Atomic away with many more of the things that matter most in the post-Safari world. Tab switching w/screencaps, a custom start page w/favorite sites, a tremendous full-screen mode, fast caching, retina resolution, and a slew of custom gestures crush Atomic.

BJ
I tried every web browser as they were released on the ipad and finally settled on Atomic. This was nearly 2 years ago now and I haven't bothered looking at any other browsers since. I may have to give iCab another look, but Atomic has become like an old friend giving me comfort every time i open her up.
Mac.World is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:54 AM   #11
tyche
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I have been an Atomic user for years but lately, especially since I switched to an iPad 3, it was crashing too much on some forums I visit which I thought was due to the low memory on the iPad 1 but wasn't the case.

I decided to give iCab a go and have been converted. Far superior to Atomic in my opinion these days. No crashing yet and one sites that Atomic would always crash, it's been solid. iCab has an insane amount of extras but you can turn off what you want and customize it nicely.
tyche is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone know what happened with Atomic web browser developer? iScope iPhone and iPod touch Apps 1 May 28, 2014 06:50 AM
Atomic Web Browser problems on iPhone 5s psynnott iPhone and iPod touch Apps 21 Mar 30, 2014 05:16 AM
Atomic Web Browser Problems Punkd iPhone and iPod touch Apps 1 Oct 26, 2013 06:44 PM
Retina - Web Browser Jaxd Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Jan 5, 2013 12:12 AM
Anyone in the UK using Atomic Browser and know where its gone? jweaver iPad Apps 3 Oct 5, 2012 02:32 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps