Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slimbek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Thought we could share our varying Photo Management processes as it's not all that easy to get photos from cameras to computers and devices etc.

It should be easy... but this is my process for editing photos on the iPad (which I love doing):
- take photos on camera
- import photos to Finder folder
- delete bad ones
- import photos to iPhoto
- open iTunes
- share new event in Photos tab
- sync to iPad
- edit photos
- share edited photos to iTunes & online
- save shared iTunes folder to Finder folder
- import edited photos to iPhoto

To me - that is a ridiculous process for simple photo editing.
I could import straight from my camera to the iPad, but I don't want to lose quality (and the export process is still laborious!).
I could also edit in Photoshop etc. but that is too chunky for all I need to do.

What processes are you using?

ericDylan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
-Import from various cameras straight to iPhoto
-Manage there (edit, share, etc)
-If extensive edits required, edit in CS5

Out of curiosity, why do you choose to edit on your iPad? I edit some pics on my iPad, but only if I have no other choice. I would much rather use my Mac. It seems more convenient to do all uploading and editing in one place. And, for me, editing using a mouse is easier than my finger and I have photoshop at the ready if it is needed--on the iPad, that is not an option.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
- Take picture on iPhone 4.
- Edit in iPhoto for iOS or a myriad of other photo editors I have on the iPhone
- Upload to Facebook/save to Camera Roll
- Import photos to camera once a quarter ... okay, maybe twice a year. With PhotoStream that's moot anyway really.

Done.

OP, why don't you use Dropbox so you don't have to sync just for your photos?

And, for me, editing using a mouse is easier than my finger and I have photoshop at the ready if it is needed--on the iPad, that is not an option.
You need to try iPhoto for iOS. Being able to use your finger to paint what needs brushed up is amazing. MUCH better than using a mouse and faster as well.

slimbek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Out of curiosity, why do you choose to edit on your iPad?

I only do minor tweaks on my photos... just enhancements... but I really love iPhoto for iOS for that. Nothing like relaxing on my couch and touching it all to make the changes.
Just like Steve said - it's more 'intimate'.

But the process of getting them there is a pain.

----------

- Take picture on iPhone 4.
- Edit in iPhoto for iOS or a myriad of other photo editors I have on the iPhone
- Upload to Facebook/save to Camera Roll
- Import photos to camera once a quarter ... okay, maybe twice a year. With PhotoStream that's moot anyway really.

Done.

OP, why don't you use Dropbox so you don't have to sync just for your photos?

This process is the same for me with Phone photos... so much easier.
Dropbox is upload/download time... syncing happens much faster for 100mb+ of photos.

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and do all management in iPhoto and remove the Finder process?

ericDylan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Maybe I need to bite the bullet and do all management in iPhoto and remove the Finder process?

That is what I do and there is not downside. You can still move them anywhere you want. iPhoto just imports and organizes them.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I only do minor tweaks on my photos... just enhancements... but I really love iPhoto for iOS for that. Nothing like relaxing on my couch and touching it all to make the changes.
Just like Steve said - it's more 'intimate'.

But the process of getting them there is a pain.

----------

This process is the same for me with Phone photos... so much easier.
Dropbox is upload/download time... syncing happens much faster for 100mb+ of photos.

I see, you do chunks at a time. For me it's always shoot, edit then upload within about 1 minute. Rarely do I do a lot of shooting then editing and uploading later. With 2 young kids I have to do things quickly or I never get to it.

I would also agree that Finder needs to get taken out of the process. Apple wants you to use iPhoto to manage your photos just like they want you to use iTunes to manage music. They're both much better at it than Finder is.

slimbek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
That is what I do and there is not downside. You can still move them anywhere you want. iPhoto just imports and organizes them.

I've resisted because of how frequently I used to edit in Photoshop, so getting them out of iPhoto, editing and putting back in was painful - so Finder it was.

Now I do more and more in iPhoto or on the iPad.

I know Finder is facing extinction in the coming years... I might as well help it along!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.