Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
I have a carbon fiber sticker on the back to keep it scratch resistant and as light as a feather. They are insanely thin so still fit in any case and totally scratch resistant so great as a back up protector to your regular case. They can peel right off when it comes to resale.

China_ST_06_Carbon_fibre_stickers_for_Ipad_220117281556460.jpg

They're only $5 or so and you would be crazy not to pick one up. Check out eBay.

Because Im always out and about and play a lot of sports I need a case that will allow me to throw my iPad into my kitbag, is strong enough to take the rigours of my lifestyle but also slim and sexy like me. The lightest, strongest, classiest case I could find is the Targus Vuscape. In my local store they have dozens of varieties of cases from all manufacturers and I got to try them all out. This was the most perfect fit, gave the greatest amount of protection at a reasonably slim profile.

targusvuscape3.jpg

Finally, the smart cover is not enough protection unless you live in a bouncy castle. You need some form of back coverage so you're covered for gentle drops and possible light scratches. You should see the number of babies who go naked and then start crying when they have a small accident.

Lets see what protection or case you are using.

Last edited:

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I like skins, but they don't do squat against drops. Had a nice clear skin on my iPad 2. Dropped it accidentally from about 3 feet while in a sleeve. Big dent in the corner.

On my iPad 3, I'm using an old leather iPad 2 case for it. Will pick up a case with a plastic back and smart cover-like front cover soon.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
I like skins, but they don't do squat against drops. Had a nice clear skin on my iPad 2. Dropped it accidentally from about 3 feet while in a sleeve. Big dent in the corner.

On my iPad 3, I'm using an old leather iPad 2 case for it. Will pick up a case with a plastic back and smart cover-like front cover soon.

Skins only offer scratch resistance for those who want to go naked or use the device outside its case.

Smart covers offer as much protection as a dust cover.

What I like about the Vuscape though is that the iPad 3 clips into the corners of the case (offering great protection in this area and hold its securely). Its almost like its back is glued in. I hate those folio cases where your finger swipes hit the case edges. Thats horrible. I like to touch the screen edge to edge without anything getting in the way.

Look at the edges below. The iPad is securely clipped at the corners and edges. The entire front if exposed to your swiping.
11447d1331927476-ipad-3rd-generation-targus-vuscape-case-ipadcase2.jpg

Look at these edges. As soon as your fingers hit the edge of the screen this hit the wall of leather. The only way I can describe that feeling is one of violation
pdair-ipad-2-leather-book-case-7.jpg

Last edited:

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
I'm using the Targus Vuscape with 3 in 1 stylus.
I really like this case because it maintains the new iPad's thin profile while offering solid protection. The magnet for on/off-open/close operation and the 2 level view points, help to create a good all around purchase.

Absolutely! I have this case too and it is absolutely the best. Its incredibly slim, offers great protection and has a great quality feel to it. I only hate the Apple cut out logo on the back. That's exposing the most vulnerable part of the device.

Targus also have the 'Slim' case which is also very robust but it has a carbon fiber/denim style that i wasnt too keen on but it offers solid protection and a great fit. Same price as the Vuscape so I'd still recommend that instead.

SlimCase.png

Skygunner27

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
Absolutely! I have this case too and it is absolutely the best. Its incredibly slim, offers great protection and has a great quality feel to it. I only hate the Apple cut out logo on the back. That's exposing the most vulnerable part of the device.

Targus also have the 'Slim' case which is also very robust but it has a carbon fiber/denim style that i wasnt too keen on but it offers solid protection and a great fit. Same price as the Vuscape so I'd still recommend that instead.

I tried over 30 cases and happily went with the Vuscape. I really liked the Versavue but all of the magnets didn't work. It also added a lot of heft to the iPad. With a working magnet I'd have to say that it's the better case as far a protection goes. I baby my iPad so I don't put it into scenario's that could lead to misfortune. It was also important to keep the iPad as slim as possible with most of the features of the Versavue. Targus really hit a home run with the Vuscape. I actually like the Apple cut out. I thought about proffessionally installing a plexiglass window there but decided not to. That cut out allows a welcomed ventilation opening, for extended sessions of Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Skins only offer scratch resistance for those who want to go naked or use the device outside its case.

Smart covers offer as much protection as a dust cover.

What I like about the Vuscape though is that the iPad 3 clips into the corners of the case (offering great protection in this area and hold its securely). Its almost like its back is glued in. I hate those folio cases where your finger swipes hit the case edges. Thats horrible. I like to touch the screen edge to edge without anything getting in the way.

Look at the edges below. The iPad is securely clipped at the corners and edges. The entire front if exposed to your swiping.

Look at these edges. As soon as your fingers hit the edge of the screen this hit the wall of leather. The only way I can describe that feeling is one of violation
I like the case with nothing on the bezel. The one above has those ugly "fingers" wrapped over the edge of the screen. I prefer the Targus Slim case but it did not work with it's magnets. Mine will be shipped soon. In the mean time, having to put up with the Yooboo(?) thing:(

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I have a carbon fiber sticker on the back to keep it scratch resistant and as light as a feather. They are insanely thin so still fit in any case and totally scratch resistant so great as a back up protector to your regular case. They can peel right off when it comes to resale.

They're only $5 or so and you would be crazy not to pick one up. Check out eBay.

Because Im always out and about and play a lot of sports I need a case that will allow me to throw my iPad into my kitbag, is strong enough to take the rigours of my lifestyle but also slim and sexy like me. The lightest, strongest, classiest case I could find is the Targus Vuscape. In my local store they have dozens of varieties of cases from all manufacturers and I got to try them all out. This was the most perfect fit, gave the greatest amount of protection at a reasonably slim profile.

Finally, the smart cover is not enough protection unless you live in a bouncy castle. You need some form of back coverage so you're covered for gentle drops and possible light scratches. You should see the number of babies who go naked and then start crying when they have a small accident.

Lets see what protection or case you are using.

Hi, is your iPad 2 or 3 because i want a carbon fibre case but can't see many for the iPad 3?

Cheers

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am beginning to feel kinda dumb because I shelled out quite a bit of cash for my screen protector and uniq leather casing...:eek:

The workmanship also seems a tad shoddy. After just 2 weeks, the stitching in one of the sides is starting to come out, and the folding cover can't even prop up the ipad properly.

Looks classy, but not very durable or practical. I guess a fool and his money are soon parted. :(

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
I tried over 30 cases and happily went with the Vuscape. I really liked the Versavue but all of the magnets didn't work. It also added a lot of heft to the iPad. With a working magnet I'd have to say that it's the better case as far a protection goes. I baby my iPad so I don't put it into scenario's that could lead to misfortune. It was also important to keep the iPad as slim as possible with most of the features of the Versavue. Targus really hit a home run with the Vuscape. I actually like the Apple cut out. I thought about proffessionally installing a plexiglass window there but decided not to. That cut out allows a welcomed ventilation opening, for extended sessions of Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy.

What I also love about the case is that when I take it into meetings, it looks like a leather bound notepad. I have to say, the first batch of Vuscape cases (in the US anyway) were rolled out too quickly and the magnets didnt work. Targus recalled and replaced them. The newer cases are totally perfect so that's just worth bearing in mind for anyone considering this case and reads an old bad review. In my opinion there is no better case if you're looking for this particular style.

----------

Hi, is your iPad 2 or 3 because i want a carbon fibre case but can't see many for the iPad 3?

Cheers

I have the 3rd. If you're referring to the sticker from the top screen shot Im pretty certain that there is no difference between the fitting on the 2nd and 3rd. Where the back curves the sticker has cut outs that work with both. You might want to check he camera hole is the same size. I bought mine about 2 weeks ago off of eBay so there should still be plenty there. Min cost me $5 and it came with a free iPhone 5 cover too. Best $5 ive spent in a long time.

----------

I am beginning to feel kinda dumb because I shelled out quite a bit of cash for my screen protector and uniq leather casing...:eek:

The workmanship also seems a tad shoddy. After just 2 weeks, the stitching in one of the sides is starting to come out, and the folding cover can't even prop up the ipad properly.

Looks classy, but not very durable or practical. I guess a fool and his money are soon parted. :(

It can be tough locating the perfect case. In the first few weeks there were hardly any out and people were using iPad 2 cases, then some didnt fit and those that did didnt have the proper magnets working. The first weeks batches of many cases were faulty. I read countless reviews and was lucky that the store I went to had around 20 cases all opened up and they said just try them all out and see which one you wanted. I felt like Goldilocks.

Thats why its important to have threads like this so people can share their experiences. I could not be any happier with the Targus Vuscape but its just my particular tastes and requirements that are being met. Others may have other tastes and requirements so its good to share opinions. We've all paid top dollar for the iPad and its worth the extra cost getting a case that makes you feel secure and happy about your device.

Skygunner27

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
What I also love about the case is that when I take it into meetings, it looks like a leather bound notepad. I have to say, the first batch of Vuscape cases (in the US anyway) were rolled out too quickly and the magnets didnt work. Targus recalled and replaced them. The newer cases are totally perfect so that's just worth bearing in mind for anyone considering this case and reads an old bad review. In my opinion there is no better case if you're looking for this particular style.
I agree. What I forgot to mention in addition to all the features of the Vuscape is that the inner lining is also lint-resistant and the case folds on it's self for convience. I added pics to a previous post showing this feature.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
I like the case with nothing on the bezel. The one above has those ugly "fingers" wrapped over the edge of the screen. I prefer the Targus Slim case but it did not work with it's magnets. Mine will be shipped soon. In the mean time, having to put up with the Yooboo(?) thing:(

You see, the targus Slim that I tried on in the store had perfectly working magnets. I just prefer the leather vuscape case though. I think if you still prefer the slim then its still worth buying that. The new cases definitely do work so if you end up with one that doesnt, just return it back to Targus. I think they only want to see you receipt and even let you keep the faulty one.

Targus Slim
Slim-MagneticCover.png

Slim-M-Angle.png

RapelScratch.png

Last edited:

Skygunner27

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
You see, the targus Slim that I tried on in the store had perfectly working magnets. I just prefer the leather vuscape case though. I think if you still prefer the slim then its still worth buying that. The new cases definitely do work so if you end up with one that doesnt, just return it back to Targus. I think they only want to see you receipt and even let you keep the faulty one.

The problem with the slim case is that it does NOT hold the iPad as good as the Vuscape. I prefer the "fingers" over dropping my iPad flat on it's screen, out of the case I bought to protect it.:rolleyes:

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

I purchased the ski. One through Amazon and when Targus found out, they had Amazon return the $50 and told me to not return the case. They will send me the new one in a couple of weeks. So e worked and some did not depending on the polarity of the magnet n the cover. They had a 50-50 chance of getting it right and I lost.

This slim case is perfect for me and I will patiently wait for it.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have tried many cases for the new iPad and went through the same process for my original iPad. I would have chosen the same case for my new iPad but I haven't seen the same one out there in the market yet.

My preference in a case is the following:

• Have a slim form
  • Must not be heavy in weight
  • Leave the bezel exposed
  • Material that can be easily cleaned
  • Must have a stable and secure typing position
  • Magnets that sleep and awake the iPad but don't do it when held against the back
  • 30 Pin port opening big enough to support the Camera Adapter
  • Open speaker so not to muffle the sound

This Griffin Intellicase does all of the above. I know others have passed on it due to it being too lightweight without enough protection but for me it just works. I originally purchased this in black for the iPad 2 and it fit but very tight. The new version fits perfectly and the outside has more of a texture to it. It also comes in various colors. I have it in white and have also ordered the red.

It is definitely a minimalistic case without much protection but for me, I don't need a lot of protection. When out and about I use the STM Scout bag for additional protection. My two top "must haves" were a slim/light form and secure typing position. This case scores tops in both. The material is also TPU and even the white, wipes clean with a little glass cleaner and microfiber cloth. the magnets are perfect. Strong enough so that the cover doesn't squish around and turn on and off, but not so strong to turn off the iPad when folded on the back side.

Love this case!

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 437
  • Case 2.jpg
    Case 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 453
  • case 3.jpg
    case 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Skygunner27

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
I purchased the ski. One through Amazon and when Targus found out, they had Amazon return the $50 and told me to not return the case. They will send me the new one in a couple of weeks. So e worked and some did not depending on the polarity of the magnet n the cover. They had a 50-50 chance of getting it right and I lost.

This slim case is perfect for me and I will patiently wait for it.

While we wait for you to get your revision, why not post some pics of that badboy for all to see?

I for one
That's a clean looking iPad.

abulldog

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
I purchased a Targus Vuscape at Best Buy about an hour after the iPad arrived in the mail on release day. After spending about 2 weeks on these forums trying to pick out a case and deciding to wait to buy one online. I just wanted to pick up something cheap until I found one I liked. At $35 it was pretty much the cheapest one BB had that day. I am very happy with it so far. I had no magnet problems with mine. All together I think it is a very well made case.

DSC_0041-1.jpg

Targus Vuscape over black iCarbons skin.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
I have tried many cases for the new iPad and went through the same process for my original iPad. I would have chosen the same case for my new iPad but I haven't seen the same one out there in the market yet.
Love this case!

I didnt think Griffin's fit was as good as Targus'. In fact the case you have was pretty much a smart cover with a back cover. It's nice enough but I thought the targus slim offered all that with better protection and much better fit. Ive posted shots in #12

----------

I purchased a Targus Vuscape at Best Buy about an hour after the iPad arrived in the mail on release day. After spending about 2 weeks on these forums trying to pick out a case and deciding to wait to buy one online. I just wanted to pick up something cheap until I found one I liked. At $35 it was pretty much the cheapest one BB had that day. I am very happy with it so far. I had no magnet problems with mine. All together I think it is a very well made case.

Targus Vuscape over black iCarbons skin.

That's exactly the same as me!

----------

Is that the griffin? The back cover looks quite thick for that design

interfreak

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Nope, not Griffin.

Is some generic brand I purchased from KMart here in Australia. Cost me AUD$35 (USD$40).

The back is fairly thick, and has a rubber like texture on the outside. Very solid though.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
"I didnt think Griffin's fit was as good as Targus'. In fact the case you have was pretty much a smart cover with a back cover. It's nice enough but I thought the targus slim offered all that with better protection and much better fit. Ive posted shots in #12"

I would agree with you that the Targus might offer more protection but as far as the fit goes - the Griffin fits perfectly. What's a better fit mean? The iPad snaps into the case, doesn't move and you're good to go. Yes the Griffin is similar to having a back cover with the smart cover but and the big but for me is the secure position holder in the back of the case. The Apple smart cover for me would easily come off the iPad and when in the typing mode (triangle fold) on my lap would slide up or down and not stay put. Not so with the Griffin. For me, that's the beauty of the Griffin - all one piece and less is more.

Last edited:

Skygunner27

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
SYu3U.png

This design is not safe. While demoing other cases, I saw another customer with employee demoing the Targus Slim Case with her iPad fully mounted. A moment later her shoe saved her iPad from slamming into the floor, sceen first. I would hate to see any of you crack your iPad's screen because of a case you bought to protect it. That's why I'm mentioning it.

If you are happy with this case then this post isn't for you.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
This design is not safe. While demoing other cases, I saw another customer with employee demoing the Targus Slim Case with her iPad fully mounted. A moment later her shoe saved her iPad from slamming into the floor, sceen first. I would hate to see any of you crack your iPad's screen because of a case you bought to protect it. That's why I'm mentioning it.

If you are happy with this case then this post isn't for you.

Did the case slip out of her hand or did the iPad come out of the case itself? I guess that wouldn't be such a great "fit".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.