Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

estrides

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the MacRumors forum here and I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I have a LOT of PPC computers and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them!

I'll make a list and if you'd all be so kind, maybe you can toss some ideas at me!

I have 3 G5 PowerMacs Dualcore running at 2.3ghz. All have maxed out ram. 2 are the 2004 models running 8gigs and 1 is the 2005 model running 16gig.

I also have three G4's. One is a MDD that is maxed out as well. I also have a 900mhz g4 that is up and running, not sure of all the specs.

I also have a G4 Mac Mini running at 1.25ghz.

My current computer is a Late 2009 15" MBP with 8gb RAM and the 9600GT nVidia. It's still fast compared to all the newest models :)

So guys, what do you think? What can i do with these things besides sell them!?

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Sell them, you don't need that much unless you are a crazy hoarder like us.

But if it were me, I'd keep the late 2005 powermac and the maxed out powermac G4 MDD.

See my sig, this my setup right now. Powermac G5 for desktop and MB for mobile. The other PPC machines I have they are all still working and maxed out. But I have kept them all. Each of them have a different character, because one way or another I have laid my hands on them, cleaned and fix them.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
So, the Macbook Pro is your main machine? Use the 2005 G5 as your main desktop (setup with a larger monitor. 22 inches minimum). Keep one of the 2004's as a backup, then use the mac mini as a file server. I have no idea what you should do with the other ones though.

estrides

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
I will use the G5 as my main computer as you said, I have a 24inch monitor to hook up to it.

I like the idea of using the mini as a file server. I could also use it as a web-host as well, right? Just something to host personal files on etc. Like a NAS?

Also, in this short time, Ive realized that these bad boys can easily run Logic 8 at its max capacity for recording music! I can finally take the load off of my MBP and put it on one these guys!.

If anyone else has some ideas, please feel free to hit me with them!

estrides

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Awesome, I cant wait till May! Gonna have a room full of computers hahah!

not to mention a boatload of PCs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.