Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 8, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Jedi5
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Burbs, IL
How remove Airprint Activator off iPad?

Is there a way to remove AA off my iPad as the default printer?
I uninstalled AA off my iMac as it wasn't working anymore.
I then tried the Brother app for my printer and that is working great.
When I try to print a picture using the iPad, I keep getting AA as the default printer.
I have to open the Brother app and print from there.

Any suggestions?
__________________
15.4" Mac Book Pro 2009 21.5" iMac 2009 iPhone 3GS 32GB iPod Nano
Jedi5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Is there a way to remove AA off my iPad as the default printer?
I uninstalled AA off my iMac as it wasn't working anymore.
I then tried the Brother app for my printer and that is working great.
When I try to print a picture using the iPad, I keep getting AA as the default printer.
I have to open the Brother app and print from there.

Any suggestions?
I don't know how to remove the AA printer, but even if you could, I don't think the Brother app is going to show up there. Brother app is an app, you have to run the app to use it.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Did you turn off the Airprinter on your iMac? It sounds like it's still on. AA is not on your iPad. You iPad is seeing the Airprinter being hosted on your iMac.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Jedi5
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Burbs, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
I don't know how to remove the AA printer, but even if you could, I don't think the Brother app is going to show up there. Brother app is an app, you have to run the app to use it.
OK, I wasn't sure if Brother would show up there.
Prints fine from the app but with AA still showing up as default, I'd like to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Did you turn off the Airprinter on your iMac? It sounds like it's still on. AA is not on your iPad. You iPad is seeing the Airprinter being hosted on your iMac.

That's the thing, I don't have Airprinter installed on my iMac.
I uninstalled it and when I do a search, I don't see any traces of it anywhere.
__________________
15.4" Mac Book Pro 2009 21.5" iMac 2009 iPhone 3GS 32GB iPod Nano
Jedi5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
OK, I wasn't sure if Brother would show up there.
Prints fine from the app but with AA still showing up as default, I'd like to see.
Well, I have two printers avaiable on my network, and they both show up, with one selected as the default, but the other one is also selectable. So if the Brother app could be accessed that way, it would be showing up even if it's not the default.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:06 PM   #6
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
That's the thing, I don't have Airprinter installed on my iMac.
I uninstalled it and when I do a search, I don't see any traces of it anywhere.
I haven't used AA in a awhile so I can't be absolutely sure but doesn't AA basically create a new printer profile on your Mac? Did you go into System Preferences > Print & Scan on your iMac and make sure any AA printer profiles are gone?
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
That's the thing, I don't have Airprinter installed on my iMac.
I uninstalled it and when I do a search, I don't see any traces of it anywhere.
Airprint Activator turns on the hidden built in Airprint server support that's in Mac OS X. You didn't turn it off when removing Airprint Activator and the builtin Airprint server is still turned on.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Jedi5
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Burbs, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
I haven't used AA in a awhile so I can't be absolutely sure but doesn't AA basically create a new printer profile on your Mac? Did you go into System Preferences > Print & Scan on your iMac and make sure any AA printer profiles are gone?
Yes I checked and didn't see anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Airprint Activator turns on the hidden built in Airprint server support that's in Mac OS X. You didn't turn it off when removing Airprint Activator and the builtin Airprint server is still turned on.
How do I find it and then turn it off?
__________________
15.4" Mac Book Pro 2009 21.5" iMac 2009 iPhone 3GS 32GB iPod Nano
Jedi5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a
 
Jackintosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Blue State Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Yes I checked and didn't see anything.



How do I find it and then turn it off?
Find the Airprint Activator icon (printer symbol) on your computer. If it's not in the dock, it will be in a folder by the same name. You can do a search on that name to find it. Once found, click on the icon. There, you can toggle it to be on or off.
Jackintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:11 PM   #10
Jedi5
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Burbs, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackintosh View Post
Once found, click on the icon. There, you can toggle it to be on or off.
But I don't have it installed on iMac. I've searched and searched and nothing is coming up. When AA stopped working a few months back, I uninstalled it completely off my iMac.

I've reinstalled AA to see if I can toggle on/off but I can't even do that.
I click on the icon to toggle but instead I get this message:

AirPrint was activated through Activator V1. Make sure to turn if OFF using AirPrint Activator V1 before using AirPrint Activator V2... 10.6.8

That's fine and dandy, I"ll turn off Activator V1... but where or how?
__________________
15.4" Mac Book Pro 2009 21.5" iMac 2009 iPhone 3GS 32GB iPod Nano
Jedi5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:16 AM   #11
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
That's fine and dandy, I"ll turn off Activator V1... but where or how?
See if you can download it from here:
http://netputing.com/airprintactivator/
Night Spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:42 AM   #12
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a
 
Jackintosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Blue State Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
But I don't have it installed on iMac. I've searched and searched and nothing is coming up. When AA stopped working a few months back, I uninstalled it completely off my iMac.

I've reinstalled AA to see if I can toggle on/off but I can't even do that.
I click on the icon to toggle but instead I get this message:

AirPrint was activated through Activator V1. Make sure to turn if OFF using AirPrint Activator V1 before using AirPrint Activator V2... 10.6.8

That's fine and dandy, I"ll turn off Activator V1... but where or how?
You really didn't need to uninstall AA, but rather just turn off version 1, and then download and install version 2. What I'd recommend doing is download and install version 1, then from the printer icon toggle it off. Then download and install version 2 (toggle it to on, share your printer, and set energy save to wake on network access).

Let us know if that worked.
Jackintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:54 AM   #13
Jedi5
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Burbs, IL
Thanks for the help!
The link provided did the trick.

iPad is now printing again.

Night Spring -

You were right, Brother only works via the app.

Thanks again all!
__________________
15.4" Mac Book Pro 2009 21.5" iMac 2009 iPhone 3GS 32GB iPod Nano
Jedi5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Printing from iPad without AirPrint pMad iPad Apps 13 Jul 14, 2013 10:31 PM
iPad and epson nx430 airprint headviking iPad Apps 0 Oct 21, 2012 01:08 PM
iPad: Activator/Multifl0w iPad 3 issue wgr73 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 15 Sep 17, 2012 08:59 AM
how to activate AirPrint on a non AirPrint printer Justinb51 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Aug 7, 2012 01:29 AM
Remove Background and Activator 5.1.1 4s ACardAttack Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Jun 13, 2012 08:47 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC