Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 8, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
No CD Drive-- is OS X possible?

My clamshell iBook is doing pretty well with Linux, but for certain software and Internet reasons, I'd be more than happy to switch to OS X. I have another computer with a version of OS X that's compatible. And, I have CD's that I could burn if loading OS X involves that, and a couple flash drives. I'd also be willing to pick up a version of OS X off eBay or Craig's list or something.
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:26 PM   #2
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

You can use the other Mac and connect via firewire for target disc mode - you can google search on how to do this. You will need to make sure the version of OSX you are installing is compatible.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:24 AM   #3
tayloralmond
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariii View Post
My clamshell iBook is doing pretty well with Linux, but for certain software and Internet reasons, I'd be more than happy to switch to OS X. I have another computer with a version of OS X that's compatible. And, I have CD's that I could burn if loading OS X involves that, and a couple flash drives. I'd also be willing to pick up a version of OS X off eBay or Craig's list or something.
Turn on the iBook and upon hearing the startup tone, hold down the "F" key until you see the firewire symbol appear on the screen. Hook up your FireWire 400 cable and connect your iBook to another PowerPC Macintosh. Insert the OS X disk into that computer and reboot into the installer. In the installer, be sure to pick the Firewire drive and you should be good to go. This is what I have to do to install OS 10.4 to my iMac G3 because it doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive. Good luck.

Also, PowerPC Macintosh computers cannot boot from USB, so Firewire is your only option.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Ricky Smith
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Ricky Smith Send a message via MSN to Ricky Smith
Do you mean the T key?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:49 AM   #5
tayloralmond
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Smith View Post
Do you mean the T key?
You're right, sorry. I forgot "T" stands for "Target Disk Mode."