Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:14 AM   #26
Federico
macrumors member

FYI

In the last few years, I had few factory unlocked, YOU DON'T NEED TO BACKUP/RESTORE YOUR IPHONE, JUST REMOVE YOUR AT&T SIM CARD AND INSERT A NEW ONE (T-MOBILE/SIMPLEMOBILE ETC), then connect to iTunes and wait for the activation, you will fet this message "Congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked"

Sometimes you don't get it, even with NIB factory unlocked (running 5.0).
Federico is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:16 AM   #27
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68020

The '48 to 72 hours' sounds like 'script talk' to me. Like the old '7 to 10 days' for shipment... Unlocking my old Treo was pretty simple. I was emailed a code that I entered into the phone. *poof* an unlocked Treo. *cha-ching* no 'low AT&T international rates' ever again...
PinkyMacGodess is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:18 AM   #28
markieg
macrumors member

lol US couldn't unlock till now? dear me +ROW
markieg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:19 AM   #29
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

I think they should unlock all iPhones if you've been a customer in great standing for some time. For example, I've been a customer since the first iPhone back in 07 with not one late payment, so I think I should be eligible for an unlock.
ghostface147 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:20 AM   #30
dbf7
macrumors newbie

Worked via Online Chat

So, instead of waiting on the phone, I decided to try the online chat method - the baby woke me up early, so I was online at 8am EST when tech support chat became available. I filled out the pre-chat survey with a request to unlock my iPhone 4 because I want to use it on vacation overseas with another carrier. The agent came on immediately but took a while - about 10 minutes - to verify that I was eligible. The rules are: "AT&T only releases unlock codes to customers under certain instances. Here's our policy: we can provide unlock codes for eligible AT&T handsets after 90 days of active service. The account must be in good standing in order to obtain an unlock code. You are limited to unlock codes for five phones per 12-month period per account." Since I'm out of contract, no problem - she asked for the IMEI code on my iPhone (dial *#06# or via the Settings -> General -> About) and an email address to which she'll email the code. She said the email would take 5-7 business days to receive, so I'll wait and see...
dbf7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:22 AM   #31
diamond.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaLulz View Post
What a glorious day that will be indeed when we have to pay the actual retail price for the phone (in the U.S.), instead of the low subsidized price that AT&T offers.

sarcasm.jpg
Yeah, I wondered why Apple didn't keep up with the pricing structure they had with 2007 iPhone...
diamond.g is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:29 AM   #32
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Looks like the value of used iPhones will start going up a bit with this option now?

Looks like both AT&T and Apple are doing everything they can to stop the need for JBing? Will be interesting if Apple ever allows you to customize your phone.

Seems there is a big market for them to allow developers to create themes and sell them on the App store, so hopefully this will be around the corner.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:30 AM   #33
getastro
macrumors newbie

Well I tried 4 times with no luck. First i rep was not sure what to do. next I was told I had to wait until 6/15/2012, the date the contract was up. Tried again today, now I have to wait until 8/10/2012, I had my phone replaced at an Apple store do to a cracked screen. Now I can shut down my account on 6/16 but still can get the phone unlocked until 8/10. What really burns me up is that I read about all these iPhone 4 and 4S getting unlocked now. Horse crap if you ask me. When the new iPhone is out good bye AT&T.....
getastro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:40 AM   #34
newskin
macrumors regular

Am I safe to assume that as long as i receive the email in the op, the unlock will be successful? Has anyone that has gotten the email, not been successful in unlocking once tethered to itunes?
newskin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:59 AM   #35
SuperTricolor
macrumors newbie

Loooooog wait

As always the problem with AT&T is customer service. Look at the message I got on the "chat"

All representatives are currently assisting other customers. At this time, our average wait is 50 minutes and you are # 97 Thank you for your patience. A representative will be with you shortly.

Really?!?! 50 minutes!
SuperTricolor is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:01 AM   #36
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by getastro View Post
Well I tried 4 times with no luck. First i rep was not sure what to do. next I was told I had to wait until 6/15/2012, the date the contract was up. Tried again today, now I have to wait until 8/10/2012, I had my phone replaced at an Apple store do to a cracked screen. Now I can shut down my account on 6/16 but still can get the phone unlocked until 8/10. What really burns me up is that I read about all these iPhone 4 and 4S getting unlocked now. Horse crap if you ask me. When the new iPhone is out good bye AT&T.....
Where did you read that 4S' were unlocked?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:03 AM   #37
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyMacGodess View Post
The '48 to 72 hours' sounds like 'script talk' to me. Like the old '7 to 10 days' for shipment... Unlocking my old Treo was pretty simple. I was emailed a code that I entered into the phone. *poof* an unlocked Treo. *cha-ching* no 'low AT&T international rates' ever again...
They want to build in a cushion. AT&T has to send the unlock request to Apple to update your iTunes acct. They don't have 100% control like they do when unlocking a Treo. It could only take 2hrs, but Apple is telling them it could take up to 72 hours depending on work load & other factors. If they tell you it will be 5hrs and Apple takes longer who do you get pissed at? Who's human resources do you tie up? AT&T. So yes, they give you worst case scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTricolor View Post
As always the problem with AT&T is customer service. Look at the message I got on the "chat"

All representatives are currently assisting other customers. At this time, our average wait is 50 minutes and you are # 97 Thank you for your patience. A representative will be with you shortly.

Really?!?! 50 minutes!
Tens of millions of iPhones are suddenly unlock eligible & AT&T is getting slammed so no hard to believe. If there call center is 50k strong it's still under staffed today. I hate defending AT&T but give 'em a break in this.

Last edited by Chupa Chupa; Apr 9, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Chupa Chupa is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:06 AM   #38
vthree
macrumors member

Please wait for a chat representative to respond.

All representatives are currently assisting other customers. At this time, our average wait is 42 minutes and you are # 101 Thank you for your patience. A representative will be with you shortly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i wasted 42 minutes yesterday on the phone with them yesterday... i think i'll try again later. it sucks that mixed answers are coming out from them.
vthree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:09 AM   #39
SDub90
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
Where did you read that 4S' were unlocked?
If you pay full price to upgrade to the 4S, they will unlock it since that phone is not part of the contract.

I'm on the chat right now... it was about a 20 minute wait (estimated time was 4 minutes and I was #12 in line) and after almost 40 minutes I'm still chatting with the guy... He said they are getting thousands of requests.

Anyway, he put in a request for my iPhone 3G and said I'll get an e-mail within 72 hours, but I had to wait until July 13 (about the time I received my iPhone 4) to have it unlocked... I told him I need it for a study abroad trip and asked if it can be done sooner and he said he'll put in a special request for it, which is waiting I'm waiting for this minute.

Oh look, now he's typing a reply...

edit: both requests put in... now just have to wait for the e-mail to come in.

Last edited by SDub90; Apr 9, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
SDub90 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:16 AM   #40
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaLulz View Post
What a glorious day that will be indeed when we have to pay the actual retail price for the phone (in the U.S.), instead of the low subsidized price that AT&T offers.

sarcasm.jpg
You pay the full price, anyway, via monthly fees. The subsidy is built into the price of your monthly fees on contract. The only difference is that they "finance" the price of your phone over two years, and they take value for that financing. The "value" they get back is:

--The ability to hold you hostage on their system for two years while you're paying off the phone.

--A premium over what it actually cost them to give you the subsidy.

--An indifference to customer service, since they have you by the short hairs.

--The ability to keep you from putting an international carrier's SIM in the phone when you travel to another country, thereby forcing you to pay their exorbitant international roaming charges.

A subsidized phone on any carrier is like "rent-to-own" furniture. Except that, unlike Aaron Rents, you get penalized if you terminate the contract early, because they don't have a provision for letting you return the equipment.
rdlink is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:17 AM   #41
khongaeng
macrumors regular

Anyone had success with a cancelled contract? Meaning, all bills and early termination fee paid in full?
khongaeng is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:19 AM   #42
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by khongaeng View Post
Anyone had success with a cancelled contract? Meaning, all bills and early termination fee paid in full?
Yep. Works fine. They record your payment of the ETF with the IMEI, so they should have everything they need to request the unlock code.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:20 AM   #43
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDub90 View Post
If you pay full price to upgrade to the 4S, they will unlock it since that phone is not part of the contract.
Well that doesn't count then. I know if you pay full price you get an unlocked phone. I was under the impression that perhaps someone had a subsidized 4S that was unlocked. Some of these support agents don't have a clue and don't really follow the rules. I thought someone had gotten lucky.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:21 AM   #44
somawawe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico View Post
FYI

In the last few years, I had few factory unlocked, YOU DON'T NEED TO BACKUP/RESTORE YOUR IPHONE, JUST REMOVE YOUR AT&T SIM CARD AND INSERT A NEW ONE (T-MOBILE/SIMPLEMOBILE ETC), then connect to iTunes and wait for the activation, you will fet this message "Congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked"

Sometimes you don't get it, even with NIB factory unlocked (running 5.0).
Can u give some detailed information please? After we put our new simcard inside then we will connect itunes? then we will sync or do sth? or just wait?
somawawe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:22 AM   #45
rdlink
macrumors 68000

[QUOTE=Chupa Chupa;14689891...Tens of millions of iPhones are suddenly unlock eligible & AT&T is getting slammed so no hard to believe. If there call center is 50k strong it's still under staffed today. I hate defending AT&T but give 'em a break in this.[/QUOTE]

Not about to give them a break. If they had been doing the right thing from day one they wouldn't be getting slammed right now. It took pressure from Tim Cook to get this done. Anything bad that happens to AT&T is just karma that they've earned. They are a horribly bad company, and they deserve any bad press that they get. Let AT&T twist in the wind.
rdlink is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:23 AM   #46
chalpin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
You pay the full price, anyway, via monthly fees. The subsidy is built into the price of your monthly fees on contract. The only difference is that they "finance" the price of your phone over two years, and they take value for that financing.
Yes, while that may be technically true, I find it unfortunate that AT&T does not offer a "bring your full-price phone for a cheaper monthly rate" rate. For example, if you bring your unlocked international iPhone to AT&T and want 2GB data, 100 texts and 450 minutes a month, it's $25 + $20 + $40 + taxes = about $95/month, the same as with a subsidized phone. Many non-US providers have an contract rate and a non-contract rate. T-Mobile used to have a non-contract rate which was $10 or $20 a month cheaper than their contract rate but I don't think they offer it anymore.

What will happen with all these unlocked iPhones hitting the market, however, is a lot of people moving to an AT&T MVNO, something like Straight Talk's $45+taxes/month unlimited talk, text and voice!
chalpin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:24 AM   #47
khongaeng
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Yep. Works fine. They record your payment of the ETF with the IMEI, so they should have everything they need to request the unlock code.
That's good to hear, I hope that I get a hold of an ATT rep that knows something. The past two I have talked to say I have to have an active account, they then put me on hold to get a supervisor and then end the call (I know because I am calling through google voice). It's amazing how ATT customer service can still tick me off when I am not even their customer anymore.
khongaeng is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:25 AM   #48
Ted13
macrumors 6502

I went from the original iPhone (2G) to the 3GS to the 4S. Still have them all, including the original iPhone and the 3GS, so I want to unlock those two, but neither one has a SIM card, unless the old, dead AT&T SIM is still in the 3GS -- I need them unlocked for travel, so I'll be obtaining SIMS in countries we visit the next time we travel abroad, not now.

Can I still unlock them without having a (working) SIM?

And does anyone have the AT&T chat URL?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:26 AM   #49
terraphantm
macrumors 68030

I wonder why some people seem to get the email earlier than others. I'm still waiting on mine, though I did get a confirmation number
terraphantm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:26 AM   #50
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalpin View Post

What will happen with all these unlocked iPhones hitting the market, however, is a lot of people moving to an AT&T MVNO, something like Straight Talk's $45+taxes/month unlimited talk, text and voice!
straight talk backbone is ATT.

I think ATT will benefit/profit in that sense also? Not sure.

LTE changes everything, you will not find LTE in MVNO. There are clever steps taken by ATT to unlock iPHone with out really affecting the sales once LTE iPhone 5 released.

Last edited by shanmugam; Apr 9, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
shanmugam is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion