Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
I read somewhere that G3 iMacs have a 127GB disk limit (it said disk, not volume).

My G3 was running Jaguar and when I connected my Firewire disk the main volume (490GB) didn't show up, just the two smaller volumes, which I expected.

Now I've done a clean install of Tiger and not only does the main volume now mount, I can browse it, open files on it, and Finder reports the correct size and free space.

So does this mean that the 127GB limit is (was) an OS limit so I could replace the very noisy 10GB HDD with one >127GB?

92WardSenatorFE

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
USA
The 128GB limit is a hardware limitation, not an OS limitation (as long as you are using Mac OS 10.2+). Tiger has nothing to do with it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My understanding is that this is a hardware limitation period, not just the boot volume - but I'm no expert.

This might help. Inetech Speedtools ATA High Capacity driver. It's a high capacity driver that loads at boot time and allows you to see the full volume of the boot drive. The only downside is that you have to have one 127GB partition and a second partition. But that's better than 4 or more.

Last edited:

parish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Ah, this is me being thick isn't it?

The limit applies to internal disks, but not external ones, hence why my 490GB FW drive works?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.