Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bretmartin

macrumors member
Original poster
(The AT&T unlocking threads are getting pretty out of hand, so I think it seems reasonable to have a new thread for more specific unlocking subjects...)

The AT&T statement published on a bunch of news sites makes it sound as though an iPhone 4 early-upgraded to a 4S or other phone (i.e. less than 24 months from iPhone 4 purchase to upgrade purchase) would be eligible for unlock. However, some people have said they were denied unlocks in this situation, and others have said AT&T submitted the request to Apple. I can't find any definitive statements that the unlock succeeded in those cases, though.

Has anyone successfully gotten an AT&T iPhone 4 that they upgraded in less than 24 months unlocked?

The policy seems difficult to verify since the language on news sites appears nowhere on AT&T's own site; their published information still says they won't unlock iPhones (http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB116151). The various chat transcripts people have posted show that even AT&T staff don't seem entirely clear on the policy.

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
I called last night to unlock my wife's iPhone 4 which contract is up in September. I said I'd pay the early termination fee and they said they still won't unlock it.

Then I asked them to unlock my old 3G and they denied that because I upgraded early to the 3GS. I didn't press the issue too much because I was a little busy at the time but it seems like I'll have to complain to get them to unlock even my old 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.