Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Berto33
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Installation Disc on MacBook not working

Hello,

I wrote on this forum a few weeks ago, because I have a Mac book from late 2007 that wouldn't boot. So I found the necessary CD's and all that. When I put CD 1 in, a message comes up on the screen that says : "This software cannot be installed on this computer". I feel extremely confused by this rather odd statement. It's the installation Cd that came with the computer all those years ago. When I put CD 2 in, I just get a "Read Me" file, telling me to insert CD 1 to be able to reinstall OSX.

Can anybody help me? I'm in desperate need for my computer.

Thanks in advance,
Albert
Berto33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:00 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Are you sure, those are the correct DVDs? What is exactly written onto them? And why not use the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Installation DVD from the Apple Online Store?
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:01 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto33 View Post
Hello,

I wrote on this forum a few weeks ago, because I have a Mac book from late 2007 that wouldn't boot. So I found the necessary CD's and all that. When I put CD 1 in, a message comes up on the screen that says : "This software cannot be installed on this computer". I feel extremely confused by this rather odd statement. It's the installation Cd that came with the computer all those years ago. When I put CD 2 in, I just get a "Read Me" file, telling me to insert CD 1 to be able to reinstall OSX.

Can anybody help me? I'm in desperate need for my computer.

Thanks in advance,
Albert
Are the install discs the ones that came with that particular MacBook? Or did they come with another Mac? The grey install discs that come with Macs are model-specific and will not work on other models. You can either order replacement discs for your model by calling Apple, or you can buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Berto33
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Hi,

Those Installation discs are definitely the ones that came with this mac.
I checked on the "about this mac" thing, and it says that it's OSX 10.4.11 but the installation disc 1 says : OSX 10.5 Could that be the problem?
Berto33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:06 AM   #5
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto33 View Post
Hi,

Those Installation discs are definitely the ones that came with this mac.
I checked on the "about this mac" thing, and it says that it's OSX 10.4.11 but the installation disc 1 says : OSX 10.5 Could that be the problem?
Yes.
What exact Mac do you have and where did you get the DVDs? And how did you determine, that those DVDs should be the correct ones?
If it is from late 2007, it either came with 10.4.11 or 10.5.0, but the DVD is probably not recognised.
Again, why not get the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD, which works perfectly?

Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?
Quote:
Key differences

A software update is usually downloadable free of charge; a software upgrade usually is not.
A software upgrade usually increments the first "dot" number of a product (for example Mac OS X v10.6, Mac OS X v10.5); a downloadable software update usually increments second "dot" number (for example, Mac OS X v10.6.8, Mac OS X v10.5.8).
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:06 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto33 View Post
Hi,

Those Installation discs are definitely the ones that came with this mac.
I checked on the "about this mac" thing, and it says that it's OSX 10.4.11 but the installation disc 1 says : OSX 10.5 Could that be the problem?
That error message always appears when you try to use install discs that came from another Mac model. If your Mac came with 10.5, it wouldn't have 10.4 installed, unless you intentionally downgraded, which Apple recommends against.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Berto33
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
simsaladimbamba : I got the mac in Bordeaux, and I know that those installation discs are right ones because I've never ever bought any others, and they've always stayed in the box. I wouldn't mind buying the snow leopard DVD, but if possible, i'd rather not have to spend anymore money on the computer.

GGJstudios : No I haven't ever downgraded it, I don't understand why they would give me 10.5 installation discs if my version of OSX is only 10.4.11
Berto33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:21 AM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto33 View Post
simsaladimbamba : I got the mac in Bordeaux, and I know that those installation discs are right ones because I've never ever bought any others, and they've always stayed in the box. I wouldn't mind buying the snow leopard DVD, but if possible, i'd rather not have to spend anymore money on the computer.

GGJstudios : No I haven't ever downgraded it, I don't understand why they would give me 10.5 installation discs if my version of OSX is only 10.4.11
If you haven't downgraded, then obviously the discs are not the install discs that go with your computer. Did you buy it used or new? From Apple, or someone else?

You can find specs on all Apple products, including what OS shipped with which models:
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Berto33
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I got the mac from C Discount....
Berto33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:33 AM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto33 View Post
I got the mac from C Discount....
That explains it. They didn't give you the install discs that Apple shipped with your Mac.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Pro 2010 Hard Drive Changed - OS Installation Not working! carmeyeii MacBook Pro 0 Aug 9, 2013 01:00 PM
Installation Disc doesn't work. Can I use a standalone OS disc? ChitoCrisis MacBook Pro 1 Jun 16, 2013 09:14 PM
XP installation disc alexmclaren Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 2 May 8, 2013 02:52 PM
Remote Disc from Macbook Pro => iMac in ML not working mindquest OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 2 Dec 5, 2012 02:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC