Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:17 PM   #51
A2DY
macrumors member

My atv3 started dropping home sharing over the weekend when I updated to the latest iTunes.

Would work fine to stream from iPad to atv, and if used AirPlay from iTunes to atv was ok but would drop after 3-4 minutes if using home sharing through the atv.

What seemed to fix for me was to (on win 7) go to program's and repairing all the apple program's I have (inc bonjour) after doing that seems to be ok so far.

Could be worth giving that a try?
A2DY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:57 PM   #52
EvilC5
macrumors 6502a

its got to be an itunes issue, all of my ATV2's have been flawless since new.
iPhone 4, 4s, and 5.....the ihome!
EvilC5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:28 PM   #53
Otago Lad
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilC5 View Post
its got to be an itunes issue, all of my ATV2's have been flawless since new.
The Apple Support Forums are full of posts on this issue and it appears that although people have managed short term fixes the common denominator is the upgrade to the latest version of iTunes. Hopefully Apple will address this with the next update.

By the way has anyone heard any rumours of a release date for the next version of iTunes?
Otago Lad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 05:11 PM   #54
radiogoober
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otago Lad View Post
The Apple Support Forums are full of posts on this issue and it appears that although people have managed short term fixes the common denominator is the upgrade to the latest version of iTunes. Hopefully Apple will address this with the next update.

By the way has anyone heard any rumours of a release date for the next version of iTunes?
I don't know, but Apple needs to get their crap straight.

If you want to see a cluster****, then load up your "Videos" app on the iPad, and look at your SHARED Tv shows. Oh my god, how could they ship such a terrible bug?
radiogoober is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 06:51 PM   #55
ljonesj
macrumors 6502a

oh were the cover art repeats itself and sometimes it will let you go into your tv shows that you want or it goes to the tv show that the cover art shows. i ve had this bug since 10.5 itunes latest and ios 4 latest and i still have it but not the were the cover art shows one show and its that show ive got it were even thou its the wrong cover art its the show i want as i ve memorized were my shows are in itunes which sucks
Old May 3, 2012, 06:53 PM   #56
shinobi-81
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogoober View Post
I don't know, but Apple needs to get their crap straight.

If you want to see a cluster****, then load up your "Videos" app on the iPad, and look at your SHARED Tv shows. Oh my god, how could they ship such a terrible bug?
Does it happen with ATV too, or only with iPad?
shinobi-81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:24 PM   #57
radiogoober
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi-81 View Post
Does it happen with ATV too, or only with iPad?
Fortunately only iPad it seems. Tv shows and movies work well on apple tv, beside some sharing crapping out.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:59 PM   #58
urkel
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otago Lad View Post

I know certain people get upset at statements like this, but Apple doesnt update issues fast enough. It seems thcanard seasonal on what products they care about and just rely on their defenders to hold down the fort until they decide to get back to squashing bugs. One month it's iTunes and you feel they're finally going to get it right but then it's silence for 8months because they moved on to iOS or OS X.

Hopefully we get a solution soon because it's pretty annoying to rely on workarounds than get actual updates.
urkel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 04:32 AM   #59
duncyboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogoober View Post
Fortunately only iPad it seems. Tv shows and movies work well on apple tv, beside some sharing crapping out.
Same problem on the iPhone. All my movies show up fine, but some TV Shows show up several times and others not at all.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:49 AM   #60
radiogoober
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
I know certain people get upset at statements like this, but Apple doesnt update issues fast enough. It seems thcanard seasonal on what products they care about and just rely on their defenders to hold down the fort until they decide to get back to squashing bugs. One month it's iTunes and you feel they're finally going to get it right but then it's silence for 8months because they moved on to iOS or OS X.

Hopefully we get a solution soon because it's pretty annoying to rely on workarounds than get actual updates.
I completely agree with you. I'm the biggest "fanboi" there is, but damn, there are some bugs in a lot of stuff, and it's been there a long time. And if you look at AppleTV, it only has a handful of features, and "Home Sharing" is right there on the AppleTV main screen, feature #4 (in the most recent software.) You'd think they'd want one of the 4 main features of AppleTV working correctly.

I bought a AT3, and sure enough, it cut out after 10 minutes twice in a row. It's back in the box, and the AT2 that I was going to replace is back in service and I'm going to keep that for the foreseeable future, until this problem is completely resolved.

I wrote this a long time ago, but I really wish Apple would take a little bit of time and just stamp out the bugs in a lot of their software on all their platforms. I can't imagine the hell it must be to maintain so many different platforms, devices, etc, but a lot of stuff is just annoying as hell. Nobody else in software is remotely close to Apple in terms of user experience, etc, so why not take just a month and stamp out every bug.
radiogoober is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:29 AM   #61
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

Apple forced me to JB and install XBMC, it's the only way I can get the ATV to work now.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:13 PM   #62
sers
macrumors regular

I spoke to soon. Homesharing crapped out on me tonight.

Apple, can we please get an iTunes update that fixes this?
Old May 5, 2012, 06:35 AM   #63
radiogoober
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sers View Post
I spoke to soon. Homesharing crapped out on me tonight.

Apple, can we please get an iTunes update that fixes this?
I filed a bug report on this yesterday, and Apple replied back saying that it's a "known issue" and that they already have an open bug report for this. Of course, that means nothing for when they are actually going to fix it, etc. But at least they are aware of it.

I just can't believe their home sharing has so many danged bugs in it.
Old May 5, 2012, 08:03 AM   #64
ljonesj
macrumors 6502a

I found one way to fix the repeating of coverart and the issue were sometimes the cover art repeats and its the actually show you want or it repats the same show over and over re add you tv shows back into itunes as this fixes it for a while for me. i watch anime so you can imagine sometime the problems from that as i have almost 1tb of anime on my hd
Old May 11, 2012, 10:15 AM   #65
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Has the new update resolved anyones issues? I haven't updated I haven't been home . I hope, and hope this has fixed the homesharing issues we have been having!
iphone1105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 11:13 AM   #66
ldaustin
macrumors newbie

I was having repeated disconnects from home sharing last night so I checked for updates. I was pleasantly surprised to see one was available. I loaded it and afterwards home sharing started to work perfectly. I played parts of about a half-dozen different movies including some that are HD. Everything was working perfectly and things even seemed to buffer faster. I only tested for about 1/2 hour so I won't declare my problems fixed yet, but it seems promising.
ldaustin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 11:28 AM   #67
Terrified
macrumors regular

Looks like the latest update has resolved this - I've watched 2 120min plus movies today, and no dropouts on either.

Trailers don't seem to be working for me following the update though. Keep getting "Trailers are unavailable. Please try again later". Anyone else?
Terrified is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 12:00 PM   #68
blueroom
macrumors 603

What router are you using?
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 05:48 AM   #69
Obioban
macrumors member

I also haven't had any dropouts since the update this week.

Color me surprised. I thought it would be an iTunes update this fixed it, but turns out the issue was client side.
Obioban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 06:36 AM   #70
davids8477
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post

Color me surprised. I thought it would be an iTunes update this fixed it, but turns out the issue was client side.
The update did not fix my issue. Its not just the ATV that has problems. I have problems sharing to my laptop and another desktop.
davids8477 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 06:36 PM   #71
Otago Lad
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post

Since the update I haven't had any issues either, although admittedly I have fixed a few issues I was having with my windows home server, although I don't think that was the problem.
Otago Lad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 06:43 AM   #72
EvilC5
macrumors 6502a

excellent, I have been waiting to update all of mine until this was resolved and confirmed.
iPhone 4, 4s, and 5.....the ihome!
EvilC5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:52 AM   #73
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

I can confirm, at least for me that Homesharing is 100% functional again. I was able to test out 6 movies while stuck home with the flu, and not one dropped or anything. I am back in love again.

Hope all those with homesharing drops have had it resolved.

Last edited by iphone1105; May 14, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 01:09 PM   #74
BobD2
macrumors newbie

I've had similar problems (disconnecting in the middle of a movie) while streaming Netflix movies. Don't thinks iTunes is involved in this problem. When it happens, I have to go back into Netflix and re-select the movie. Fortunately, it allows me to resume where it left off rather than starting over from the beginning. Don't know if others have had this problem -- just started looking to see if others have posted the same problem.
This happened most recently on May 12 following a ATV3 update. Ran the update just prior to starting the movie. Same thing happened some weeks prior before the most recent update.
BobD2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 01:51 PM   #75
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD2 View Post
I've had similar problems (disconnecting in the middle of a movie) while streaming Netflix movies. Don't thinks iTunes is involved in this problem. When it happens, I have to go back into Netflix and re-select the movie. Fortunately, it allows me to resume where it left off rather than starting over from the beginning. Don't know if others have had this problem -- just started looking to see if others have posted the same problem.
This happened most recently on May 12 following a ATV3 update. Ran the update just prior to starting the movie. Same thing happened some weeks prior before the most recent update.
That's not homesharing's fault, see if they thread above this about Netflix issues can help ya!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater