Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Apr 9, 2012, 04:18 PM   #1
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

iTunes Loves Shuffle

So, bought my wife and I an iPod Shuffle for exercising. I plug it in, iTunes recognizes it, downloads that voice thing, and I want to sync my Workout Playlist to my Shuffle. Gets about 90% done and crashes iTunes. OK, cool, restart iTunes.... only to have it crash again.

OK not a problem, I've used Windows for most of my life - restarted computer, plugged in Shuffle once iTunes was running and it instantly crashes. Hmmm... Unplug shuffle, plug it back in, iTunes instantly crashes.

I have a Macbook Air fyi.

I thought I left this crap behind with Windows. Now I have to wait till I go home from work to my PC and hope iTunes on my PC behaves better. Not having high hopes.

Just amazing.
BigMcGuire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 04:36 PM   #2
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Hahahaha! I'm supposed to plug in my iPod Shuffle to do a factory restore but... iTunes CRASHES AS SOON AS I DO THAT!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1481

LOL. Really?

More info: Music was from the iCloud fyi. So no funny music, all AAC Apple purebred stuff.

----------

So, apparently this is a common problem - amongst iPhones, iPods, iPod Shuffles/touches/whatever. Has been a problem for years. I could spend hours copying/pasting threads with similar/same problems.

If anyone else is in my same situation -- go to iTunes --> Preferences --> Devices --> Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically.

Then you can reformat your badly behaving Shuffle and start over again.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 04:56 PM   #3
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Solved. One of the artists on one of my songs had a screwed up artist name that had a ton of special characters. I just right clicked that file and chose: Create AAC Version (even though I downloaded it from the iCloud in the first place) and iTunes didn't crap out when copying that to the Shuffle.

Yes, I manually copied song by song till I got to the song that crashed iTunes. lol.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod