Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Have not charged from fully drained state, but did 48% in just over 3.5 hours, suggest about 8 hours to charge from 0% (stand by mode almost entire time).

Actually boggle my mind, all that battery power. 25 W·h(!).

...Considering the charger is 2.1Amp, for 25W-h, suggests over 10 hours to charge from 0%. (musing)

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Another one here with around 6 hours - just plug it in before bed and it's ready in the morning.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Have not charged from fully drained state, but did 48% in just over 3.5 hours, suggest about 8 hours to charge from 0% (stand by mode almost entire time).

Actually boggle my mind, all that battery power. 25 W·h(!).

...Considering the charger is 2.1Amp, for 25W-h, suggests over 10 hours to charge from 0%. (musing)

The battery is 42.5 watt-hours.

The charger is rated for 2.1A, 5.1V. 2.1*5.1=10.71. So, in THEORY, you get 10.71 watts but with the voltage loss on that flimsy wire, you'll never see more than the 10watts total power the charger is marketed as (4.76 volts at 2.1A, and technically it's not a charger, it's a power supply, the actual charger is in the iPad, but still...). So we'll run with Apple's 10 watt figure, also because it's a nice number.

That means that theoretically, assuming 100% efficient charging, the battery COULD charge in 4 hours, 15 minutes (4.25 hours). Nothing is 100% efficient, and the last 10% or so of a lithium ion battery charge must be done very slowly. Still, with the device off, you should get at least mostly charged in 5-6 hours in paper. If you're using it at all, this goes down.

Now, if you use a smartphone charger... 1A at 5V is 5 watts. Theoretical minimum charge time would be 8 hours, 30 minutes. Again, assuming non-existant 100% efficiency. Also again, the device is OFF in this assumption and any use is even more likely to prevent the iPad from charging at all, and making it more likely to drain (just more slowly) while connected.

Finally, with a computer USB port or standard phone charger... 0.5A at 5V is 2.5 watts. Theoretical minimum charge time becomes 17 hours (100% efficient charging again, not realistic). In reality, the chances of this charging the device are slim, but at least the battery will drain a bit slower...

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
7-ish from 0 - 100%
About 6 hours or so for regular charging. I seem to have an issue with the battery percentages displaying inaccurate info like some others have noted. I charged mine overnight and it went from 45% to 58%? How random is that. Anyhoo, after hard reset, it went back to 100% but then stayed there for about 6-7 hours. After another hard reset, it dropped to 30%. Had to recalibrate the battery a couple times but I think it's working properly now.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yeah, I’m seeing about 6 hours or so too.

The longer charge period hasn’t been an issue for me. I have a charger at my desk, so I just connect it when I’m done for the day or occasionally while I’m using it (for video for example) - also have another charger upstairs, so if I’m using it at night, when I’m done I just connect it right at my nightstand.

So in the morning it’s at 100%, and given my use, I don’t even have to charge it but every 2-3 days anyway. :)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Who cares? Don't people mostly charge at night while they're sleeping? And if you do need to charge it during the day, charge it for a couple of hours and leave!

Mikekan

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Athens, Hellas!
We all know that it is not good to leave the iPad on the charger when it is fully charged! So this is one good thing about taking so long to charge, when you charge over night you wake up the iPad has not been left fully charged on the charge for a long time! :)

sofasurfer

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
Interesting to see how people's iPads take differing amounts of time to charge. Mine takes about 12 hours from 1%-100%. I have it currently charging and in 5 hours it has charged less than 50%.

Mikekan

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Athens, Hellas!
Are you using the supplied iPad charged or an iPhone one? It is normal to have small variations due to the different losses that each charger has but 12 hours is double the time!

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Honestly, I've never sat down and timed mine. If it's low, I plug it in and don't worry about it. Usually, that's at night, when I'm going to sleep, anyway.

sofasurfer

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
Are you using the supplied iPad charged or an iPhone one? It is normal to have small variations due to the different losses that each charger has but 12 hours is double the time!

I am using the supplied charger. Is there a difference in charger between the iPad2 and New iPad charger as the wife has an old machine and I use her charger sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.